who takes Flicks place?

Riders are playing Tiger Cats without these players. Flick and Crandall and Szarka and Wayne Smith. I think Durant is good but I wish Riders were healthy. Who is taking Flicks place in the starting line up? Is it Washington or Berman or Bagg. Maybe Dressler will have a big game. Hope he does. 3 and 0 would be a great start.

The depth chart shows Dressler taking it with Berman backing him up.

Dressler, hands down. He's a very similar body type and size. Shifty, Speedy... I call this a no-brainer.

Szarka - Neil Hughs

Crandel - Durant

Crandell is dressed in the third spot.

According to CBC, it's Acree: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/story ... icats.html

CBC is wrong, Acree hasn't practiced once and hasn't even been at a practice. He's not on the 46 either.

How can someone be a sports reporter for a national entity and not have the ability or intelligence to at least check a team's roster before saying who is playing? That's brutal. If I did that kind of work at my job I'd get fired.

Actually the CBC article doesn't say TJ will be starting.....it doesn't even say he will be playing this game. All it states is he was acquired in a trade to fill in for an injured Flick.

Mike, get real. If someone says a player is filling in for another player, it means he is taking that player's place.

The CBC article states "Acree will fill in for Flick". Since the article is talking about the Riders limping into town and focuses on who will be replacing whom, the context is that the discussion is focused on the current game. Nothing in the article hints at anything else.

BigU....maybe you shouldn't take everything out of context...

"One reason for the decision to start him this week was the feedback from the players on how he conducted himself on the field and in the huddle and the leadership he showed," the coach said. "The fact that he did that so well was a compelling reason to have him do it again."

Earlier this week, the Roughriders acquired receiver T.J. Acree in a trade with the Toronto Argos for defensive lineman Ron Flemons.

'Outstanding route runner'

Acree will fill in for Flick, who led all Riders receivers last year in catches (70), yards (1,020) and touchdowns (10).

"What happened with D.J. Flick's injury was so unfortunate, but acquiring T.J. gives us another quality option as we go forward," said Riders GM Eric Tillman. "We've watched him very closely the two previous seasons in our division and we're very happy to add him to our mix.

"T.J. is very smart, so he can learn multiple spots in our receiving rotation, and he's an outstanding route runner."

How can you even thing the following gives the impression that TJ will start. I mean even Eric's quote leaves the impression he hasn't even suited up yet.

Maybe it is time for you to get real....

I guess we'll just have to disagree.

1. the article was written the day of the game
  2. the article title was focusing on the current game in Hamilton
  3. the initial statements were about which quarterback was replacing the injured starter
  4. the only other player mentioned was Acree with the phrase "Acree will be filling in for Flick"

Context in the article would very clearly indicate that Acree is starting in place of Flick. If that was not the intended message, proper journalism would have left the Acree name out of the article and focused instead on who was actually replacing the other injured players.

Fight nice guys! Especially as you are both correct. Nowhere in that article does it say that Acree was going to play. At the same time, a casual reading of said article would lead one to believe that was the case. So the journalistic standard is rather low.

BigU I can see how the outstanding route runner could have confused you.

Prehaps reading the quote without it will help..

Earlier this week, the Roughriders acquired receiver T.J. Acree in a trade with the Toronto Argos for defensive lineman Ron Flemons. Acree will fill in for Flick, who led all Riders receivers last year in catches (70), yards (1,020) and touchdowns (10).

"What happened with D.J. Flick's injury was so unfortunate, but acquiring T.J. gives us another quality option as we go forward," said Riders GM Eric Tillman. "We've watched him very closely the two previous seasons in our division and we're very happy to add him to our mix.

Now how does that say he is even dressing never mind playing. Just admit you assumed that was the way the article was written.

hehehe. nice one Mike. You're right. I made the assumption based on how the article was written. Just like I made the assumption that Durant would be playing based on how the article was written. Tell ya what. Let's remove Tillman's quote (which simply states what kind of player Acree is and nothing about the game).

Then boiling down the initial comments you have Acree acquired in a trade and will fill in for Flick.

To me, that indicates he is playing. Which means either the writer had no clue what was really happening, or is just a really lousy journalist. Going with the assumption that the writer had some journalistic abilities, my expectation was then that he/she assumed, given his/her Toronto centric universe that obviously Acree would be filling in for Flick.

Pretty simple really.

I have no problem admitting that I thought it meant Acree would be in the starting lineup - not the first time someone would have been acquired and started the following week. I did read it quickly and can see other interpretations. But it really doesn't matter anymore ...

You know bigu, i can understand how YOU can make the assumption you did....we will just leave it at that.

Smack on!!! Gentlemen it's great to see other teams threads on this site are arguing about being robbed of a call, who is to blame for the bad starts etc.. and we argue about a CBC article. It's all good boys.. 3-0!! let me buy you some $5 beers