Who should start in Montreal?

Never too early to start this debate:
Shiltz - In the 1st TD drive yesterday, he showed his best in a controlled short to intermediate passing game. His passes were accurate and easy to catch (but I will admit too soft for deeper throws and that's why his longer throws allowed time for DBs to make plays on the ball and get knockdowns; 2 in one series in the 2nd).
Shiltz has a better 'pocket presence,' exhibits more 'calm in the pocket,' and escapes more frequently and is a better open-field runner.
Although Dane Evans has looked better in the pocket behind the current O-line, he still throws too hard and sometimes behind his short and intermediate receivers which earlier in the year, caused tips, deflections and picks.
Evans jammed his right thumb again yesterday. Two games in a row kind of makes it chronic.
Shiltz knows the Montreal defense better.
Yesterday, both Hills and STE ran for over 8 yards a carry and both are dangerous and able to break a long one on a short pass (so is Felix Garand-Gauthier) but I don't see Evans as able as Shiltz is to find them as his second receiver on any given play (Again, Shiltz's greater calm, IMO).

When things get desperate against Montreal and the Cats are down by 2 scores (Hopefully, that never happens!), Evans should go in and do his best Daryll 'The Mad Bomber' Lamonica impersonation.

6 Likes

I think Dane will start if healthy
however
I have very good comfort level when or if Shiltz comes in!
He is very capable

10 Likes

How many anti-Dane threads do we need on here?
By the same people?

@DisplacedCatsFan Respectfully, this isn't an anti-Dane thread. I'm asking for a friendly debate over a question that should be on every fan's mind this week. I'm inviting you and everybody to provide your opinion on 'Who (Evans or Shiltz) should start in Montreal?' Even somebody who thinks it should be Newman.
And why am I "the same people?" I've never written any put-down about Dane Evans.

6 Likes

Maybe three or four people, on this site, all told. Thatā€™s FAR from ā€œevery fanā€™s mindā€. Since ā€œIā€ am a fan, does that mean you speak for me?
The only ones mentioning this are the media in an attempt to gather clicks, or those who post inane threads about ā€œexperimentsā€.

Shiltz is simply not a starting-calibur QB - never has been, never will be. Newman -might- have a future, but I honestly havenā€™t seen any screaming promise in the game he started. CERTAINLY NOT THE PROMISE DANE SHOWED IN HIS FIRST RELIEF APPEARANCE (AND BEYOND) IN 2019!!!

The only way Dane doesnā€™t start would be because heā€™s too injured to play football. Why canā€™t people understand this?

2 Likes

this thread was certainly predictable, lol.

I say let Coach O start who he thinks is best. I'd like any successes, or failures, to rest squarely on our coaches shoulders.

He's the captain running our ship.

3 Likes

@DisplacedCatsFan So that's your opinion on the title question and I respect it.
And I would never put any money down on Steinauer starting Shiltz; head-to-head when they're both equally healthy, he chooses Evans.

Dane Evans will start at Molson Stadium Sunday in the Eastern Semiā€¦.
We now once again have a two QB Offence , a couple of Texans will be throwing the ball in La Belle Province Sunday .
Shiltz has shown he is a starting calibre QB , at least to me the fan and Iā€™m sure his Coach agrees , love the speed of his rollouts and quick passes .

4 Likes

I have to admit I haven't followed so closely this year. That said, it seems some sort of platooning might be the wisest strategy.

2 Likes

I can take a hint. The I-don't-want-to-have-this-debate responses outnumber all other responses 2 to 1.

I would say youā€™re definitely correct about the starter, and the result of an injury to the starter. But the outcome of the starter ā€œfalteringā€ is very much up in the air.

Iā€™m not sure I even know Steinauerā€™s philosophy on this. Last season there were times it seemed to make sense to pull Masoli in games where he struggled but the coaches left him in. Then they finally replaced him in the East Final, and if they hadnā€™t, our season would have ended that day.

They were quick to replace Evans this season during his slump (sometimes seeing a lift to the offence with Shiltz in the game), but not so much since he and Shiltz both came back from injury. My guess is that they plan to go with Evans for the full game even if he struggles early.

My observation many games back was that Evans seemed to get rattled if things went bad early on (e.g. a turnover) and things then went from bad to worse. Over the past few games, I saw more ability from him to recover from early setbacks and find a way to scrape out a win. Thatā€™s an argument for leaving him in the game to try and work things out.

The main distinction Iā€™ve seen between the two is consistency. Shiltz plays in a narrow range from roughly B+ to B-. He hasnā€™t bombed as a Ticat. Evans has had a much wider range in 2022, from A to D (or worse). If Evans brings his C or D game next week for whatever reason, Iā€™d personally be more comfortable replacing that at some point with the B game of the backup.

9 Likes

Without the combination of the two QB's I doubt that we can beat the ALS.

3 Likes

We won last week because of the Schiltz relief appearance.
Dane was horrible.

3 Likes

But who would you start?

Dane if healthy
Who would you start?

1 Like

But who would you start?

But who would you start?

Is that what you would do?

Tiger-Cat jeopardy: only in the form of a question.

1 Like

Itā€™s clear. Chang should get the start. :grin:

4 Likes