Who said the CFL is a bush league.

Well after moaning for a few days about the Lions and Canucks playing at the same time it happened. My wife has tickets for her company suite for the Canucks. Meaning we are going to miss the Lions game tonight and had to give away our tickets.

Seriously CFL, Hockey Night in Canada has been around for how many years? You didn't think that starting in October any city that has a CFL and NHL team might have such possible conflicts? It is too hard for you to look at a calendar when drafting your schedule? You don't care because you have our seasons tickets money already? (I shouldn't blame the Lions staff for the tools at the CFL doing this)

And before you disagree with me, notice how the NFL is mid season and the CFL still plays on Sundays. They are fools if they lose even one fan to a game when they know that the NHL plays on Saturdays and the NFL on Sundays.

This is a big game for our beloved Leos, and with my luck it will be blacked out so I won't even be able to watch it on the TV in the suite. Thanks for nothing CFL.

Seriously, there are 8 teams. It can't be that hard to make a schedule that doesn't risk such conflicts. And if it is for you guys, call me and I'll do it for the price of my seat (I'll still pay for my wife).

I do think the CFL should try to avoid Saturday nights, but it is almost impossible to avoid Saturday night and Sundays. That would mean 2 games on Friday night, and then maybe 2 games Saturday but ending before 7 would be hard. And the thing with CFL is they have make their schedule around other conflicts in Toronto and such. I don't have a problem with the CFL on Sundays, I think the ideal schedule would be, 2 games Friday, 1 Sat, 1 Sunday, or 1 Friday, 1 Saturday, 2 Sunday.

Game 10 of the Canucks season ( albeit against Ovechkin ) versus a first place showdown with Edmonton and 2 games left before the playoffs? Sorry , I don't care if it's in a suite , I'm going to the Lions game.

I guess people have choices to make. Watch the Canucks in game 10 of 82 or watch the Lions play in the biggest game of the season. I understand that the fact that Washington has a superstar and only plays in Vancouver once in a blue moon will affect people's decision.

Having said that, I agree with you that the CFL should avoid Saturdays in October. But you're totally wrong about the Sunday games. What do you want the CFL to do? Only play on days where it doesn't conflict with any other sport in the world? Completely unrealistic. Honestly, I'd be curious to see what you're suggestion is.

Agreed and to be more specific, 1 on Friday evening for Friday Night Football, 1 on saturday afternoon, double header on sunday. The CFL always outdraws the NFL on sunday, so why on earth would the CFL not play its games on that day?

SCREW The canucks And The nhl! The CFL Schedule Comes Out 8 Months BEFORE The nhl's! The canucks Can ALTER Their Schedule To Prevent A Conflict With A LIONS Home Game! I Remember The Good Old Days On CKNW Radio When There Was A LIONS And canuck Game On At The Same Time, The Station Broadcast The LIONS Game! The LIONS Play 2nd Fiddle To NO One! FIRST In My Heart And A Lot Of Other People's! We Are NOT All canucks! Thank God!

The LIONS Have Been Playing SATURDAY NIGHT Games Since 1954!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The canucks Can Stick To TUESDAYS! :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

2 Friday night games, and then a 1pm EST and a 1pm PST game on Saturday would avoid any conflict.

You are correct sir! If only the league spent as much time figuring it out as you did (I bet it took all of 10 seconds).

The argument that the CFL schedule is out before the other leagues' schedules is invalid. The CFL is not #1 in interest in any of its cities where there is also an NHL team (which is 7 of them counting Hamilton's proximity to Toronto). Look at what happened to the USFL when it switched and tried to go head to head with the NFL.

Heavily promoting Friday Night Football doubleheaders did wonders for interest in the CFL by carving out a niche for itself. And this week there was only one game on Friday, two on Saturday.

I sat at the Hockey game wondering how many of the sold out stadium would have been at the Lions game if they weren't conflicting. 100? 1000? More? Either way CFL teams can ill afford to lose out on ticket sales when there is no need to.

You and I think alike. Canucks always play like crap in Oct anyway.

Neither is the NFL, so I'm still trying to understand why you don't think the CFL should play on Sunday. They CFL doesn't lose any fans to the NFL. Given that their TV ratings always surpass the NFL's and that Sunday usually outdraw Friday Night Football! The NFL is not the NHL, so why should the league have to yield to the NFL?

In any event, it's a moot point. The Alouettes have to play on Sundays in September and October as per lease agreements.

Lastly, hopefully you enjoyed the hockey game. Looked like an old-time shootout with the 7-4 scoreline.

The CFL only plays on 3 days except for the odd thursday, but the NHL plays on EVERY FING DAY OF THE WEEK. the chances for a conflict are small but they will happen.
Also contrary to some "fans" beliefs the CFL is here to promote thier league and not to accomodate ever other f
ing major sports league in north america, so get over it.

Also the CFL sched is out way before the nhl, so how are they supposed to know what saturday the nhl will put any city's respective nhl team on as none of them play ever HNIC ( except TO )

Just curious YoEleven, did they announce the Lions' score at any point in the hockey game? Because they extended that courtesy to fans of the Canucks 2x during the game. I'm wondering if it was reciprocated by the Canucks.

Wasn't at the Nucks game, although my guess would be no.

The Nucks/NHL don't like to share the spotlight/publicity nor share the sport entertainment dollar.

The Lions have a classy organization that extends goodwill towards indigenous sports teams...
The Canucks, not so much.. :?

What works for Vancouver doesn't necessarily work for every other city with their varying traditions of CFL on certain days and times. There is no one solution that will work in every market and deal with all local conflicts.

I've been to several Canucks games where they anounced the Lions score. And one time years back they let us go over to the Lions game for free with our ticket stubs to catch last quarter of the Lions game.

There is a reason why a majority of Lions home games before labour day are Friday nights and after labour day on Saturday nights. The Lions ask the league for it to be that way. It has been like that for years. The reason why they pick those nights is because they ask the fans to fill out surveys every year asking them which days they prefer for home games. I've filled them out a number of times over the years. If fans had said Thursday nights were best, they'd ask for that night.

Without going through all your previous posts to see if you've brought this up before, it sounds like you're just upset that you had to choose between a box seat at the Canucks and the Lions game. Get over it. It obviously doesn't affect attendance as 30k showed up with a Canucks game the same time next door... the same number that showed up at the previous home game with no Canucks game at all that night.

You can please all of the people some of the time. You can please some of the people all of the time. But you can't please all of the people all of the time.

They didn’t announce the score during periods, can’t say if they did during the breaks.

So Chronicguy, would the Lions benefit if that 30k was say 31k? I’d think more is preferable for the bottom line.

Yes I know I’m being pissy about one game as I have normally picked the Lions in the past; however if you look at Canuck schedules over the years they play more often on Saturday than Friday in October and November (at least in the last 5 years - didn’t look further back).

If in fact the Lions’ surveys did have a majority wanting Saturday games that’s fine. However if it was fairly even then it seems to me the better business would be to try to play Fridays once the NHL gets going.

I’d mention that the new padded seats at BC Place still aren’t as comfy as the Club at Rogers but I don’t want your head to explode. Ooops just did. :twisted: Don’t worry, suite seats are the same as normal seats there unless you’re in the stools in the back.

Yoeleven, ever heard of PVR? You know, you go to one game while you record the other. Or record both and watch them when you feel like it, not when the TV networks let you. User-defined content, the way of the future. Stop bleating and join the 21st century.

Go Leos Go against the Alouettes, who are missing their left offensive tackle, this Saturday. We're not only playing for top spot in the west and the ability to stay at home for the rest of the season and playoffs, but also for a much needed week off to heal those bumps and bruises, strains and sprains and get guys like Keron Williams, Adam Leonard, Tim Brown and Akeem Foster healthy for the final push at home.

That is tremendous motivation for the BC team to take care of business on Saturday night. I doubt any Lion would love to play one, or two, games on the cold prairies in November! Brrrr...

Dooger in Surrey :cowboy:

The Fact The CFL Schedule Comes Out FIRST Is VALID! The LIONS DON'T Have To Care About The nhl Schedule! They Drew Nearly 30,000 In Spite Of The OVER PRICED Crap At The Arena Next Door!