Who really cares if the Argos survive?

No, I’m from Winnipeg and live there.

They got a steal at only $40M with the ratings they have? Who else was going to pay for CFL TV rights? And what do you think the ratings are exactly?

Oshawa?! Are u kidding? It took the Ticats forever looking for a home last year before they finally got into Guelph. Oshawa was even mentioned as a potential home for the Ticats if they moved because of the stadium debacle and the city council there punted the idea, wouldn’t even hold a hearing. So now 4 yrs later Oshawa has all the sudden changed their mind and is willing to put up $100M plus to build a stadium? LOL.

Re : “A - why would MLSE get that money? F that. If you do it, ALL teams get an equal cut.”

Let’s do the math…

If they received $15M for the naming right for the Grey Cup and the Argos got $5M, every other team would still get $1.25M.
If they received $15M for the naming right for the Grey Cup and every team got an equal share, each team would get $1.65M

So, for…

$400K/team (of found money) for year 1 and 2,
$300K/team (of found money) for years 3 and 4,
$165K/team (of found money) for years 5 and 6 (and so on…),

the Argo problem goes away indefinitely. Seems like a small price to pay to me.

yeah...everyone else stood up and walked away from the negotiation table when TSN made their offer. they were not getting a better one. People have tried making the NHL contract argument...well...that was after the CFL one was done.

LOL! :lol:

Okay… Then go to the CFL, show them my math and offer to buy and run the team until 2050 - based on my deal. Go for it!!! If it’s so easy, let’s see how fast you offer to make that deal.

How old are you??? :roll:

Re : “money has never been the primary driver of this league”

Yeah, because it has never been your money. Ask David Braley.

Like I said to wolverine, if it is such an easy deal, approach the CFL, show them my math, and offer to buy and own the Argos (indefinitely) - if they do like I said. After all, money doesn’t mean anything in your world. Let’s see how fast you do it. My guess, they are dying to find an owner and will be happy to sell you the team. Maybe you will get lucky.

First off, who’s going to pay $15M to put they’re name on the Grey Cup game? This is Canada, not the US. Corporations don’t have that much free cash to spend. They don’t spend as much as those in the US for naming rights to arenas and stadiums, and at $15M your basically asking for college bowl sponsorship rates. Not likely to happen. But anyways, let’s assume you do get that. So you’re proposing giving MLSE $5M a year for the first 2 years. You’ll never get the other 8 teams to agree to that. But let’s say you clear that hurdle. $5M off the bat to run the team means you’re basically covering their player costs. Then they get $4M from the TV deal. Screw Rogers Centre. Under your proposal, your operating costs are basically paid for you could turn a small profit playing at York U if you filled up the stadium.

MLSE knows what it takes to run a sports franchise. If it’s obvious to us how mismanaged that franchise is, imagine how painfully obvious it is to them. They know how to run a sports franchise and sell tickets. Look at how they bilked all those long suffering Raps fans this year when they finally got back into the NBA playoffs. They’re a multibillion dollar corporation, worth about $2.25B according to Forbes. You think your $5M offer to have them run it means anything to them? That’s toilet paper money to them.

The CFL isn’t desperate to find an owner for the Argos. They have a potential owner and it’s MLSE even without that extra money to bribe them. The problem the CFL has isn’t finding new ownership, it’s getting Braley to sell the team reasonably. They’re just exasperated in dealing with him. He’s asking for more money than the franchise he ran into the ground is worth and now he’s lowered his price but wants royalties in perpetuity. No prospective owner wants to give Braley what he wants because his demands are unrealistic. Once the CFL can convince Braley to sell the team for a set price and walk away, MLSE will take ownership.

Finally, a logical/mature response to my idea. Thank you - altho you do contradict yourself a little.

If you can get MLSE to buy the team without any incentives, I’m all for it. But, based on what I have heard, they are not interested. My suggestion is based on the assumption that they are not interested - even if the team costs $1.

Hopefully, you are right.

MLSE was told to find a workable solution for the Argos at BMO in the renovation, but ownership of the Argos wasn’t a stipulation so they weren’t being forced into buying the team. Braley was asking $20M initially. Bob McCown on sportsnet, so take it for what you will, said MLSE most recently walked away when Braley asked for $10M and a percentage of future Grey Cup revenues with the latter demand being the sticking point. There’s also this article, in which it says Braley also isn’t sold on MLSE’s plan for the Argos at BMO:

http://www.thewhig.com/2014/07/16/argonauts-off-field-foes-spell-trouble-for-franchise-and-league

The other issue for MLSE is they are still waiting/wanting to get the other gov’t money for the full renovation of BMO field. They’ll probably hold off on any purchase until they know they can get the full funds they are asking for the soccer and football renos. They’re basically threatening to do the soccer only modifications they want unless they get all the money, so some politicking going on on that front as well.

You can get $15 million easily for the naming of grey cup rights. Probably more....

Second Oshawa would build a stadium if the Argonauts pushed the doors. Oshawa would not build a stadium for Hamilton cause Hamilton was not serious about relocating.

$40m is a steal for TSN not the other way around. you don't have to have other competitors to drive up the cost. It goes by ratings and the ratings for the CFL are huge. They beat the NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB.... the ratings that are released are not how many people watch the games. So don't believe those nielson ratings.... that is why the USA leagues don't go by that cause they rate them based on possible viewers instead of actual viewers and viewers with intent or could watch....

The CFL Grey Cup is the most watched event in Canada. The World Cup of soccer ratings are extremely high but they are extremely full of %#... put it this way. I was included in the ratings of that high number. But I did not watch it. that is how they rate sporting events in canada.

Advertisers for NHL is no where near what the CFL can get even for the NHL playoffs because they group advertise. that is why in the NHL on CBC and TSN they sell 2/3 of all spots for local. Did you ever realize during the NHL playoffs you got local commercials on CBC? And they don't charge that much for those spots.

THINK? If the CFL GC is the biggest tv event in Canada history. Then they would get as equal amount or more than the NHL on CBC during the playoffs. But the CBC uses its affiliiates on itself. Basically CBC job when holding the NHL rights was to use the rights to keep it's networks throughout the country profitable. TSN and SPORTSNET operate differently.

For CFL on TSN they get huge advertisers and those advertisers are partners with the league not just buying spots for tv. PARTNERS. TSN needs that or they basically suck wind even operating a network. They sell spots on behalf of the CFL and also get it for Sportscenter, off the record,etc

That is why TSN needs the CFL... CBC did not want to operate like that and that is why they are getting away from professional sports. There is really no reason for CBC to do this and compete. Business sense it doesn't work cause there programming is more for local networks than national instead of the odd specialty programming.

One of the greatest myths in sports television is that the Superbowl commericals sell for $4million... Not one company paid that much in the last superbowl. NONE!!! In fact if you had $4mill they wouldn't even let you advertise. They have to go through screening process if that advertiser is good for the network. For example. Anheiser Busch operates is sub for 3 others. They pay for 40 spots during the SB game, cbs then requires them to commit for the NCAA tournament in March. They agree. They pay approx $5 million and DONE!! Then CBS goes to their partners that they have all year and they make deals with them to sell the rest. All in all these tv networks break even after the superbowl. The SB is not a money making machine for these networks but they use like a networking tactic to assist there other programming or in FOX case other subs to make future arrangements and deals for their other properties.

your comments of telling people to grow up and the “mature” crack are kinda making you look like the one that needs to grow up. Record profits from the cup are around 10 mil and usually around 4…who is going to pay 15? “your math” as you put it, is pulled from thin air to get 15 mil and would need to have a majority vote by the board, which would be unlikely to ever get the nod. As for the “found money” does the next team in trouble then get the GC money? This is not a solution…it is throwing lipstick on a pig.

As for this…if you really feel like digging through my posts from probably just over a year ago, you will find a couple references that indicate I actually do have some level of investment within the league. And Braley sunk money into Toronto knowing darned well he may never get it back…He did it for the love of the CFL, not thinking he was going to cash in…further supporting what I said.

I apologize. I got caught up in the argument and overreacted. I was wrong. Sorry.

I want to draw attention to this post, because it is the type of sincere, courageous apology that we so desperately need to see more of on this forum. It takes a big person to admit a mistake and apologize publicly instead of clinging to a wrong-headed position or lobbing further insults. You, sir, have my respect.

+1 :thup:

yes DP, it certainly is a shame that some other posters do not show similar nobility on the forums as KR has.

…especially those who readily lobby insults such as “waste of oxygen” or “troll” at others. :stuck_out_tongue:

You brought those comments on yourself, sorry. I’ll always man up and admit when I’m wrong but that wasn’t one of those times.

Edit: No, you know what? I do apologize for those comments. They were inappropriate. I still maintain my disagreement with your original position, but I shouldn’t have gone overboard attacking you. You’re absolutely right, tangledweb.

and my apologies if you were offended by any of my many rambling, incoherent or insensitive posts.
No harm was intended nor designed.

peace bro.

Peace, friend. :slight_smile:

Anyways, as someone who's first CFL program had the '71 Argos on the cover, I care deeply that they survive, as I'm sure most CFL fans do. And I'm pretty sure they will, but I hope Argos fans are busy calling family and friends and getting them to BUY TICKETS to support their team.

I care dammit! I care a ton!

We just went through the Ottawa situation, 8 years without a team. We don't need that again. League is much better with all 9 teams than with one cousin missing.

CFL is family. Argos forever!