Who Kidnapped Justin Medlock?

The last several games I have been wondering who the player is that's wearing Medlock's number. He's rarely called upon for field goals - certainly not long ones - and his punting is atrocious. All I can say is, "Justin, come home."

He disappeared like the rest of his teammates last night.

I don't think that J.M. is the person to direct your frustrations towards. He's bailed us out of many jams. Even if his punting was spot on last night... would it have made a difference? The 'Cats couldn't string together a set of first downs and the D couldn't stop a pee wee team.

If his punting was hot Marcel would probably has called for a FG :x

Oh, I agree fully that good punting wouldn't have made a difference last night. However, I AM wondering about his punting over the last 2 games. In Toronto he tried to make almost every punt one to angle over the sidelines to prevent returns. Most were in the 30 yd. range. Last night the majority were also to or near the sidelines- a little further. The only relatively good punt I remember was a 41 yd. one that boomed high enough that the return was stopped.

Is he being told to punt like this? Have we lost confidence in our special teams on the punt? Is it coaching or the man?

For what it's worth, Medlock hit a 57 yard FG in warmup and was dead centre but a couple of yards short from 60 (kicking to the west with the breeze at his back). I don't recall any situation that called for a long field goal attempt last night.

Mark, I really hope you're kidding. Medlock punted 10 times last night that averaged 43.6 yards a pop totalling 371 yards and a long of 52. When you're a world class K like Medlock, you will not be a Shane Lechler or Dustin Colquitt as well. Unless you're superman, you will not be elite in both categories.

Medlock also gets asked to angle away from returners a lot (i.e. chad owens). This forces the punter to kick towards the sidelines which can/will interfere with the mechanics of the punter and lead to decreased overall yardage on the punt, and if he were to shank one of these directional punts, it would really diminish any positive yardage and net yardage.

Why do NFL teams always carry a P and a K? Yes they have the luxury of increased roster sizes but it allows the individual to specialize in just one movement and become elite at one or the other. Punting and Kicking are two completely different movements that require different approaches mentally and physically. Medlock is going out of his way to punt as punting will interfere with his mental/physical/mechanical approach to kicking a football and verse visa. Medlock's brain is wired to kick, He's averaging 41.3 with a long of 73, thats pretty damn impressive for a kicker IMO.

Mr Old Fan, he’s by bar been our best and most consistent player this year. I didn’t see him miss any fieldgoals last night? whats the issue?

Mark, I really hope you're kidding. Medlock punted 10 times last night that averaged 43.6 yards a pop totalling 371 yards and a long of 52. When you're a world class K like Medlock, you will not be a Shane Lechler or Dustin Colquitt as well. Unless you're superman, you will not be elite in both categories.
Nope, not kidding.

In the Toronto game he wasn't called upon for field goals in 2 situations when they made sense. We've commented upon that. We've also wondered why. Last night the opportunities were extremely sparse. However, with the non-use for distance in Toronto, and what I perceive to be a weakened punting game over the last two, I am just asking if something may be up. I'm not mad at the guy or anything.... and perhaps we need one more week of evidence. However, something may be up.

Last night both the 52 yarder and the 48 yarder were the result of the return man letting the ball bounce by him. Those punts were very low and driving but the distance came on the bounce, I believe. The 52 yarder was only in the air 34-35 yards from our perspective in the stands.

We KNOW that Medlock is far better at field goaling. However, his punting appears less consistent by far over the past several games. The punts are, for the most part, low. They are also consistently more toward the sidelines.

I'm asking if this is coincidence, a problem like an injury, coaching, or complete lunacy on my part? I take it K/P that you vote for #4? :slight_smile: Won't be the first time people have thought that about me> :smiley:

Oh... and I accept that one possible explanation for the angle kicks in T.O. was to keep the ball away from Owens. That would make it primarily a coaching issue and a fear that our special teams couldn't handle Owens. It DID give the Argos pretty good position on more than several occasions, however.

Last night few were out of bounds but they continued to be somewhat shorter (except for the bounces), generally toward the sidelines, and low.

I LOVE Medlock's ability on field goals and perhaps we just accept somewhat less proficiency on punting. However, I still think that last night was a continuation of a trend. Perhaps our coaches don't think that our tackling is worth the risk now. It wasn't that way at the beginning of the season. But why the low kicks now?

Who kidnapped the entire team?(Including the coaching staff)

I believe the Cats should have kept Eric Wilbur for punting duties. His punting was phenomenal with high towering kicks and he angled them well also when called upon. Not only that but his tackling skills were better than most of our defensive backs. Keeping Medlock for placekicking and Wilbur for punting we would have had the best of both worlds.