Who is the Bombers Secret QB

The Bombers released Elliot today as well as Perenial All Star Safety Ian Logan Which should open up Cap space. Elliots release clears up a crowded QB spot that has little success. Leaving fellow Buck Back Up Brink, Burkes new favorite QB Goltz who has yet to be higher than the Bombers #4 QB and of course Buck Pierce.
Who ever they have in mind I would think would be coming in to compete for the starting spot right away. The Bombers can not afford to go through a 4th season where Buck Pierce is the QB on the roster that gives them the best chance to win.

Elliot isn’t a shock

release of Logan is surprising…but I guess with Muamba

Yea just another case of a cheeper younger model replacing a vet. For the Bombers thogh Logan is still te best in the CFL so mabe not such a grea idea but getting the other Muamba at a bargain price to play with his brother had a lot to do with it. Being on the same team the brother could stand to be an interesting combo to make some $$$ off the football filed. They already were analyst at the E-Camp.
A year too early for another player as Logan could have instantly been acquired by Ottawa. Good invetment for an expansion team to have a still all star Calibre canadian Safety. A position that Ottawa would have been smart paying money for

Rumour has it , it may be Chase Clement previously of Rice U.

....I'll throw out some names besides Chase Clement....Lots of rumours flying around about possible signings....Max Hall, Jarrett Lee, Brian Brohm...AND another name should be/could be announced shortly.....I'm pretty sure the secrecy surrounding the qb. will end soon.. :roll: .

Chase Clement ? Isn't that the same guy who was in Hamilton and quit and then said he didn't like the brand of football up here ? Maybe I'm out to lunch but the guy rings a bell.

Well in 2009 it may not of been the brand of football he did not care for but the fact that the stadium he could call home was crumbling old beat up Ivory Wynn. Quirky for a Hamilton fan but could be though differently by others.
Just sayin

Jordan Yantz.

He has signed with the University of Manitoba, and prior to that he was a standout in Junior Football with the V.I. Raiders. I bet in 2 years Yantz will be 3rd string for the Bombers, and in 5 years he'll be a household name...

Stop, please :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ! It's bad enough in Bomber land.

No, he's the same guy. Maybe his perspective has changed after playing for peanuts in the UFL the last couple of years and still not getting another sniff from the NFL. Anyways, he's on the bombers neg list and someone they've talked to, no indication that he's considering giving the CFL another try. Jarrett Lee is the most intriguing to me and he has a LSU connection to Gary Crowton. I think though he's still got NFL aspirations and after Macks comments about how some of the guys they are talking to need to be brought down to earth with respect to salary expectations for a CFL QB. Maybe Logan's release was in part to give them more room to offer someone like him a few extra bucks. Personally I think Brian Brohm is the likeliest of the names thrown out there to sign, but I have no insider info. I did notice he retweeted a CFL post about bombers being interested in him on his account and didn't deny their interest or his.

Thanks... :thup:

Love Brian Brohm when he was at Louisville; not so much a Jarrett Lee fan...........Clement would be disappointing if a person was a Blue Bomber fan, in my view.

I like Logan and think he had some very good years in Winnipeg but last season he was not the best in the CFL. It was definitely an off year for him.

Actually, HfxTC was correct. Clement quit the Ticats camp after one day because he didn't like Canadian football. Here is an excerpt of an interview his Dad did with the Hamilton Spectator:

[b]"He did not feel that the Canadian style of football was something that he could be passionate about. He knew right away---(Craig quotes Chase) he says--- "it's completely different---lots of schemes---a lot of motion. It's just not what he was trained to do."

"He felt like he enjoyed his style of football---not necessarily being in the shotgun. But, just looking out and surveying defenses and being able to beat your opponent mentally as well as physically."

"So, he just said "I knew right away that this was not gonna work for me." So he prayed about it---was very diligent about that---we guided him through that effort just to make sure that he was making the right decision. So, he called me this morning about 5:45 and said "Dad---I am 100 percent at peace with this decision. This is not for me."

"I don't think he had the desire or passion to learn their playbook. He (Chase) said it's completely different football. it didn't excite him---it didn't ignite his passion."[/b]

:|

Well times have changed and the CFL has bolted to a much higher credibiity with the huge increave of TV ratings, Coverage on TSN, New and upgraded venues, much bigger corproate sponsorship, and now a very nice TV deal. Jstin Goltz may be a pretty good QB from DIII who has grown but Chase Clement and Brian Brohom to name are also good young QBs from DI schools who also have improved i different football leagues. SO game on Oh dot forget two less known CanadianQB who have spent there college carreers at DI schools.
Times are a changing

What does a bump in TV money have to do with passion for the game ? Seems to me he wanted nothing to do with playing Canadian football. There is no chance a guy can come up here and be successful out of lack of choice. I doubt that is the guy the Bombers are talking to.

It may not be the guy they are talking to but the bump in the future salary cap will mean more money. Clement did choose the CFL but got paid and played fairly to p;ay in the UFL at a time they were paying player and actually unseated the Riders first year back up Drew willy for the starting job and an MVP honor. Still very young has had several NFL try outs so he is as viable an option. Similar Justin Goltz was cut by the UFL during the same 2010 season before coming to the Bombers in october where he has been cut and resigned again in 2011 and really has been the Bombers 4th QB during his time there only seeing the roster mostly due to Bucks injuries.
You need to have an open mind when it comes to players.
Personally I like Brian Brohm who exhausted his NFL options after his firs three NFL season from 53 man to PR. was Clements back up in the UFL in 2011. Also a very viable optionas a just miss NFL player.
You can see with an open mind that player similar to this can make a CFL roster and contribute in frt and 2nd years such as Dre Willy for the riders and Trevor Harris of the Argos. They seemed to catch on real quick to the CFL game

I think it is Michael Bishop.

People are getting way too excited about the extra TV money. The players should benefit in the spoils but costs of doing business have increased tremendously since the last deal was signed. Air Travel has more than doubled, everything has gone up. Energy , Insurance. salaried employees. This increase in TV money allows Toronto and Hamilton to make a little money and will allow the league to invest in a video game to bring kids along and other things to grow the business but it should in no way be thrown at players salaries and most certainly not at the highest paid players in the league (Quarterbacks). It should be used to improve minimum wages, practice roster stipends, improve pension funds and fund the league office that has been grossly underfunded. There are many needs in this league, inflating player salaries would be a missed opportunity. A 500k bump in the SMS along with an increase in minimum wage (to make sure it is not blown in on free agency to the already top earners) is about what it should be. Here is how I think the money should be spent

1- SMS increase along with an adjustment to minimum rookie contracts and practice roster pay.
2- Increase league office funding so it can develop cross marketing programs, assist in modernizing the HOF, create a fantasy pool.
3- Invest in development of a Console game
4- Create a pension plan for coaches and football operation staffers and improve player pensions
5- Put aside some money yearly in a rainy day fund.

[b]Clement quit the Ticats camp after one day because he didn't like Canadian football. Here is an excerpt of an interview his Dad did with the Hamilton Spectator:

"He did not feel that the Canadian style of football was something that he could be passionate about. He knew right away—(Craig quotes Chase) he says— “it’s completely different—lots of schemes—a lot of motion. It’s just not what he was trained to do.”

“He felt like he enjoyed his style of football—not necessarily being in the shotgun. But, just looking out and surveying defenses and being able to beat your opponent mentally as well as physically.”

"So, he just said “I knew right away that this was not gonna work for me.” So he prayed about it—was very diligent about that—we guided him through that effort just to make sure that he was making the right decision. So, he called me this morning about 5:45 and said “Dad—I am 100 percent at peace with this decision. This is not for me.”

“I don’t think he had the desire or passion to learn their playbook. He (Chase) said it’s completely different football. it didn’t excite him—it didn’t ignite his passion.”[/b]

So if Chase dislikes Canadian football that much, why bother to return?

Did he have an epiphany reversal after more prayer?
Is he is such financial hardship that the Canadian game looks great now?

It is also conceivable that Chase believed either the CFL was beneath him during that period, or realized the talent level was much greater than he had anticipated, thus making it much more difficult to be a star in this league.

If Clement does indeed return, hopefully he has matured and evolved past the former indifference and is willing to put in full effort to learning the game this time.