Who is the best Running Back in the CFL?

There has been a lot of media hype out West with the upcoming game between Calgary and Saskatchewan, about who is the better Running Back in the League... Sheets or Cornish?

I know statistically, these guys have been monsters, putting up impressive yards even though both missed some games due to injury.
Now I'm from the West, so my bias to watching CFL football has been watching more Western Teams... But there are good Running Backs in the East with CJ Gable, Chad Kackert and now Will Ford stepping up lately in Winnipeg.. I know these guys don't have stats like Cornish or Sheets, but I think these guys ate deserving to be in the mix too.

So I want to ask the question.... Who is better?

Jesse Lumsden.

Stu Ford!!! :cowboy: :wink:

IMO it might be Gable, but it is a little early in his career to say for sure.
I would follow that up with Cornish.
Most valuable to their team, IMO, is Sheets.
The Stamps running game didn't really slow down with JC out, a testimant to their scouting, plauy calling and O line. The Rider's run game basically was non-existant, and the team didn't win while Sheets was away. The thing that holds Sheets back from beign ranked higher, IMO, is his hands catching the ball...definately struggles at times there.
Calgary's success while JC was out plays heavily into why I would put them this way...that said, Gable and Sheets are the shifty type players that makes somethign from nothing, Cornish is a system back. All of them are amazing at wjhat they do though.
Calgary has hands down the best run blocking in the CFL.

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/images/en/inside/2011/05/Jesse_Lumsden_2010_22637.jpg

https://becauseiamagirl.ca/image/celebrityambassadors/JonCornishAmbass.jpg

CFL MVP BOBSLEDDER#28.....CORNISH #9....STAMPEDERS................SHEETS #1....RIDERS......A 2 way tie for BEST!!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: RUNNING BACK 2013!!!!!!!!!

[url=http://cfl.ca/statistics/league/stat/Rushing/year/2013/type/reg......up]http://cfl.ca/statistics/league/stat/Ru ... eg......up[/url] to date rushing stats.....CJ GABLE a close #2

for STAMP FANS

1)(A)JON CORNISH
1)(B)KORY SHEETS
2) C.J.GABLE

for RIDER FANS

1)(A)KORY SHEETS
1(B) JON KORNISH
2 C.J.GABLE

Hopefully this will keep all you Stamp and Rider fans HAPPY :lol: :lol: :rockin: :cowboy:We all have great R.B's this season,everyone of them exciting to watch,everyone of them excellent in their own way :thup: :thup: :thup:

In my humble opinion, the fact that Cornish is a Canadian and Sheets an import, make Cornish a far more valuable player in that it allows for another import to be utilized. Based stictly on their play they are close but when you factor in import vs non import that to me makes it a no brainer.

Remember though that the CFL Award is for Most Outstanding and not Most Valuable which would take nationality out of the mix.

John also shows he's more durable than average. RB that come in and have a good season are a dime a dozen. Simpson,Charles,Cobb... Guys like Cornish who can do it even a couple years in a row are hard to find. Cobourne was the last guy that was the "real deal". Looks like Cornish is the next one.

Totally agree with all of this...which are factors in me placing Cornish above Sheets. I would say this heads up match this weekend may play a big factor in the final decision.

Sadly if only Jesse "Bobsled" Lumsden could have stayed healthy in his short career,he could have very well gone down with Cornish as one of the greatest Canadians to ever play R.B. in the CFL,in a lot of ways though Jesse breaking through a traditional Imp. position and starting at R.B opened the doors for the likes of the Cornish's,Harris's and Messam's etc to excel at the r.b position as Canadians.I like all three mentioned R.B.'s but would love to have Cornish on my team because of his birth certificate and also his amazing ability and durability playing one of the toughest positions in sports.Cornish is in his 7th season,with no signs of slowing down,these days your lucky if on avg a R'B's career lasts maybe 3 or 4 seasons tops.

Good point, I would also have loved to see what Rueban Mayes would have done in the CFL if he had not been lured to the bright lights of the NFL.

Cornish made his own way to the CFL, Lumsden in no way assisted him in making it.

Lumsden was injury prone and a little cocky.

Cornish has made a name for himself on a consistent basis, he is truly a good and very athletic Canadian Running back.

HE will be the reason that more Canadian RB's will some day be in the CFL, not Lumsden.

Who said anything about assisting somebody???? Do you have a link or maybe some proof of Lumsden's cockiness???? Can you maybe give us all an example of it....the who,the why,the where and when of it???? Did you miss the part of my post about Cornish and his durability??His consistency???Before Lumsden came along there was very few if any starting Cdn R.B in the CFL, it was almost an exclusively reserved position for an import player.Believe me if Jesse could have stayed healthy(I also mentioned in my post about his proness to injury)he would have been just as good if not better than Cornish.....is it just me????but are you in general just a very negative person in life??? Just asking...no need to answer :roll:

Only if the question pertains to anybody, past present or future that has any connection to the Eskimos in any way shape or form. Mention an Eskimo and all reasonable and/or rational comment just fly's out the window.

Was Cornish not drafted only 1 year after Lumsden? I mean, he had a respectable rookie season, but I don't know if I would call it breaking boundaries for players to follow...especially those in the very next draft.

Jerome Messam did a lot for simply getting action down south. Cornish is doing a lot for getting Canadians decent looks now. Lumsden, I suppose, factored in there...but it is not like he smashed open doors. I would think a guy like Sean Millington caused a resurgance of the Canadian RB in the CFL.

[url=http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog/cfl_experts/post/Lumsden-paved-the-way-for-the-return-of-the-Cana?urn=cfl-355207]http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog/cfl ... cfl-355207[/url]

Cornish was drafted in 07 and didn't become the feature back until 4 yrs later in 11(after the release of Joeffry Reynolds) Lumsden was drafted in 05 and after a tryout with the Seahawks came to Hamilton and immediatly set in as the feature rb(Cats traded Troy Davis away to make room for him)......read the article....it basically backs up everything I posted.

I never doubted what you said...simply stated that in my opinion Lumsden did less for openning doors than say Millington.

Cornish was drafted in 06...he simply never signed until 2007...so yeah...it was 1 year difference.

If i have to pick just one as a ball carrier, right now I pick Kackert. He's the toughest guy to bring down. My eyes right now though are on Ford, Sutton and Logan. Sheets would have to be the best at second efforts and staying on his feet. Harris has been a shadow of what he was the past couple of years and I don't think it is all down to Chappy's scheme, I think a lot of it is mental and he has been a big letdown.

Anyone can run in the open field. I like guys who can produce between the tackles, can be a receiving threat out of the backfield and of course can block. The best 2 blocking backs in the league the past decade were Cobourne and Cates bar none and sadly they are gone. I am wracking my brain to think of any current backs who stand out in pass protection, and only Whittaker really comes to mind, but he's hurt. I've noticed Ford make a couple of good blocks lately but I can't really say how consistent he's been.

Wow, Cornish leads all rushers in yards, yards per carry, yet you don't even mention him. He also leads all on your list in receiving yards. Not sure what you are watching, obviously not Stamps games.

I'm not even going read through this thread, it won't change my mind. Jon Cornish, hands down, also league MOP, top Male Canadian athlete and Lou Marsh trophy champion. Not even a contest this year...

Man crush. :stuck_out_tongue: