Who is over the Salary Cap??

The riders have clearly stated that they are over the salary cap right NOW as a result of all the injuries that they have had. I am just wondering if any other teams General managers have let it be known that they are over the cap or if they are keeping it hush hush. The riders said they plan to obey the cap and that you only have to be under the cap by the time the 18th game is complete, to me this is a stupid rule but i guess does allow you to add players when you have injuries without being forced to cut the ones that are injured. So any other teams over??? my guess is that there are a few.

...maybe this thread should've been retitled 'which team is stupid enough to say publically they are over the cap'?....just thinking out loud here...

Its no secret R&W. Because as Leonard said...

" The Riders said they plan to obey the cap and that you only have to be under the cap by the time the 18th game is complete, to me this is a stupid rule but i guess does allow you to add players when you have injuries without being forced to cut the ones that are injured. "

Seeing what you want to see doesnt help your case on here man. Trust me...I KNOW...lol...the real shame is when we know better and cant improve.

Kel

It's not like you can play the whole season over the cap and then in the 18th week cut a pile of guys to get under. After week 9, I believe, with most players if they are still on your roster then you owe them their salary for the entire year, point of no return if you like. So teams have to make their decisions well before the 18th week in order to comply.

Or if you are Huey Campbell, you figure out a "Creative Bookeeping" way to hide it! :wink: :wink:

I think everyone would agree, that as long as all teams are roughly spending the same amount, whether it be $4M or $5M, then you have that competitive balance the league needs.

said best bye Pigseye

Kel

Going over the cap now that there is actually a system in place really isnt that big of a deal when you are making money and are able to pay the luxury tax for.

Until you start losing draft picks and the compensation becomes worse.

I don’t think anyone wants to go over the cap, even if the first time offense is a fine.

My Als are definitely going to be over the cap, given all the injuries we've had thus far.

At this point injuries may drag 6 of the 8 teams over.....

Why is it a stupid rule? Its not like they have already spent the money at this stage, its a projection based on what they have spent and their outstanding contracts.

Many organizations have budgets that they adjust downwards as the year progresses if they see they will go over budget.

Watching Cohon speak on TSN at the half, he stated that 2 teams were over. Does anyone know which 2?

It looks like the injury topic is going to be a focal point of discussion in regards to the cap. Eric Tillman is already using injuries as an excuse.

Teams that are suffering from a large amount of injuries do have a legitimate "excuse" for being over the cap, imo....it's not like coaches have a crystal ball with which to look into the future and see how much extra coin to stockpile in the event of injury.....

What's funny is that Tillman bragged that he trimmed 900k off the payroll and now we find out that the payroll can only be tallied at season's end. LOL!

Like a politician. Suited him to count the payroll 3 months ago, now it suits him to count it in November.

I don't quite understand this. The way the sms system should be is How much was spent on Players and Coach for ONE season. Not just who is on contract.

Also I think the salary guarrantees at mid season only apply to players who have four or more years in the league. So anyone less then four years you could cut and save some of their salaries but that likely won't yield you very much as the guys making the big bucks aren't likely to be in that group.

Well other than the Coach bit, this is how it works. No team has already spent $4.05 million, rather its based on the projected spending. Thats why a GM can say “that based on the contracts that are currently in place we will be over, but we will do what is needed to get below by the end of the season”

Here’s another article by Marty York:

Edmonton Enquirer Aug 30 2007. Eskimos Life time Grand Chairman and President Hugh Campbell announced today that the Eskimos are well under the CFL’s new salary cap. “We are pleased that the two independant auditors have gone over the books and confirmed what we knew all along.” Campbell told several reporters. “When we went through our season ticket lists and saw that we had several accountants listed in the occupation question, we knew we could hire the right ones to fix the books.”

Campbell hired two independant Accountants from the Edmonton area along with Alberta Chief Justice Allan Wachowich, to review and audit the books.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Either Marty has too much free time on his hands, or you do… :wink: