Who cares about the media!

Not that I agree with all views of some media personalities when it comes to the CFL. But; the CFL is a "small time" league no matter what people think. On that note, compared to FIFA or US College sports; so are the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc... My point is: "WHO CARES WHAT THEY (THE MEDIA) THINK!" We know we have a great product on the field. Everyone has an opinion. Unfortunately with a$$clowns that work for the media, everyone has to hear thiers. Let that putz put down the CFL all he wants. In many ways, bad press is better then good press. So I say, bring it on Perky.....

What the media THINKS, I could care less.
What the media SAYS, matters a lot, as many people out there allow their opinion and actions to be controlled by the opinions of others like the media, specially the media

If newcomers to canada keep hearing the media basically say CFL is second rate, NFL rules, guess what they going to become fans of.

Kind of like movie critics. No one ever admits to listening to them, but there are an awful lot of them employed. :wink:

movie critics influence what movie im seeing sometimes...

i'll want to go see a movie, then read a terrible review...i go to something else...

works the same way when a paper bashes the CFL, then sports fans avoid it and dont give it a chance.

yup, the problem is not what we think of the media, but what the casual, brand-new, or non-fan thinks of the media. And if all they hear is that the CFL is inferior, they're less likely to give it an honest chance. Just ask any NFL-only fans you know!! (The same could apply to new Canadians, who are getting interested in football.) Almost inevitably, they'll repeat the exact same things they hear in the media.

The medium is the message...

You are too clever by half...

--Attributed, Marshall McLuhan.

The media is entertainment, fun to read sometimes, that's all for me. Some of it is informative and that part I use to increase my knowledge but the rest of the opinions and that are the fun stuff. Sure, some effect maybe on the casual fan but I dont' think that much. Personal opinion.
The key factor for sports isn't so much what's inside newspapers sports section, this is read just by sports fans who more or less are reading it for what they already want to read. It's TV and as long as games are on TV and given coverage, then the CFL will continue to thrive fairly well. Again, my opinion.