Who are free agents at the end of season

This is what I’ve been thinking for most of the off-season. This team underperformed for the last couple of seasons.

So if the Cats expect to improve in 2023 then a mini overhaul is what is required. That would mean NOT re-signing a lot of these players. I would expect that management has identified the areas where upgrades are required. Once training camp starts this roster will look very different compared to last year.

7 Likes

I’m sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. Some players have probably told management they want to wait until February 5th to at least see other offers AND the Cats have decided to wait until they can make offers to others as well. As for people like Simoni, I would bet my house that some of his Salary is off the CAP books as he actually works for the Hamilton Sports Group doing various things. So his signing will come later and the published amount will be lower then his actual earnings.

4 Likes

Kind of like how Adam Bighill works for the Bomber Presidents Wealth management company in the off season

3 Likes

I like the Bo Levi log-jam / domino theory: he signs and the other pieces fall into place for a run for the Cup!

3 Likes

My only concern is that Bo takes too long to decide. If he waits right until the Free Agency deadline then some of those key pieces could end up signing with other teams.

2 Likes

I don’t buy it. Whether Bo signs for $500k or $450, for example, doesn’t throw off an entire $5+ million payroll budget.

I could see it making a difference on whether we are able to splurge for a star free agent at one position vs re-signing a solid starter. Or whether we plan for a solid starter vs a guy still on his first contract, at one or two positions. But not the entire roster.

1 Like

No it has not run it’s course until we win a championship. Full stop.

I could be wrong but I interpreted GCF’s logjam theory is not so much about his potential salary but about whether Bo signs with the Cats at all.

1 Like

Agree 100%. The wait isn’t about money. BLM will get about the same money from any team. He’s waiting because he can and he said he would. If he signs it will draw some players to Hamilton for sure. That’s the part that’s frustrating for Cat fans.
Edited to add: our QB play was so dreadful for 75% of our games in 2022 that our management feel it is worth the wait and the risk.

5 Likes

I don't think it's about the money for Bo, not at this point of his career. And yes - I think he'll draw other potential FAs.

3 Likes

It really is worth the risk. If you look at the CFL.ca Top 30 free agents, most are still available right now. There are tons of upgrade options available at just about every position on the field. Add to that all of our guys are still available and tons of pending free agents from other teams are still unsigned and there’s really no need for urgency at all. Take a minute, explore the tons of options that are available to us starting February 5th, and get to work.

I suspect that after a few Ticat signings from that Top 30 list a bunch of familiar names will here-signed.

In related good news, I haven’t heard any whispers of Seth Small getting NFL workouts which is a good thing for us.

5 Likes

This is bang on. This Free Agency frenzy cannot get here soon enough.

1 Like

I guess Jerry Jones hasn’t found his number yet…

4 Likes

I'm at wrong for saying we shouldn't sign Simoni Lawrence
I know he's a very popular player but in my opinion he lost a step last year
And every player is Expendable at some point

He did deal with some injuries but is working hard to get strong. Don’t be surprised to see him back with ferocity.

6 Likes

Simoni is the #1 player from the roster that i say is worth more than his play on the field.

7 Likes

Amazing that the Cats had the video ready showing BLM throwing to Dunbar and White in game action . Very clever . It also suggests that Dunbar and Tim White have already signed with the Cats or are about to sign .

That video is awesome and harsh and cold , given that all ( most?) Of those throws were actually Dane Evans. They even got our radio announcer to dub in new play by play. I watched it and went …“ouch”.

4 Likes

If that ain’t a kick to the nards of Dane, then I don’t know what is.

Pretty classless, if you ask me. Almost like they are editing him out of history.

4 Likes

Do you want the Cats to ask his permission ? It’s a business and Evans knows it . He’ll be traded or released like so many other players in the league .

2 Likes