Which qb in expansion draft?

Crandell and Greene are garbage. They are not No. 1’s anywhere so why should Ottawa take them. In fact they are No. 3’s. Does your team want them ? I love the way other fans think that the other teams rejects are good enough for Ottawa when they don’ t want these discards themselves. I would rather have Brad Banks and Kerry Joseph back or equivalent. Also, we don’t want Danny Barret when he gets fired at some point this year .

Crandell, Greene, and McManus were all starters last year, this year they are all 2nd stringers. All of them are vets in the league and have a good amount of experience with the candian game. If the new Ottawa franchise can get one of them, as well as a younger player to groom (Eakin, Pierce, Banks etc.), then you'd have a 1-2 punch that would at least be respectable. Start the year off with the vet., and if they struggle or get injured , move on to the young qb. There is no way in hell you can honestly believe that a new expansion franchise will get to pick another team's franchise(first string) qb.

:o It's not a F%%%%@@ expansion team. For 16 Million dollars (Remember, the CFL wants a 6 Milllion dollar franchise fee plus a 10 Million dollar bond) we should be getting Kerry Joseph and Brad Banks back. Would the Eskimos take one of these two losers ? I don't think so. These guys are not good quarterbacks. For 16 Million dollars we should be getting starters. :x

In fact, I would rather have a couple of young guys like Pierce and Banks who have potential instead of a couple of re-treads.

Exactly…I say priority #1 is hiring Tillman to run the show and give him 4 months to find us another Joseph like he did 4 years ago…then again he was the one who brought Banks here in the first place. I cant believe this guy is the 3rd string…he needs to be on the field (here!)

you cant expect a team to give up THEE MAN in expansion draft - that would be suicide! Looking at the #2 QB's that could be up for grabs, to get started off on the right foot, do I go for someone who has done nothing, or close to nothing (Banks) or someone who has shown the knowledge and skills to win some games and maybe even a Grey Cup (Crandell)? well, Im gonna take the proven guy to start, but Im also looking hard in other places (Europe, Arena, NFL cuts, other #2/#3 CFL) to find that franchise guy. Getting Joseph took some looking, Ray was a big find from area league, AC took a while to come into his own as a star. From different places you gotta find your #1 guy, but its not gonna be someone elses current #1

I’ve never been either a Banks or Joseph fan. If you’re starting afresh, you’ll need better QBs or at least ones with more demonstrable upside. Joseph is 32 and still hasn’t progressed enough, Banks is 3rd, maybe 4th stringer on WPG for a reason.

Maybe Greene, Crandell w/b serviceable backup/tutor.

Don’t rule out them getting an elite QB if not in the draft then some other means. DD might want to start afresh esp if he gets same or better money. Same with AC.

I’m not saying it’s likely or probable. Just don’t rule it out.

How about giving Ottawa Joseph and Banks back ? Why should Sask. be allowed to take Ottawa's No. 1, and Ottawa not be reciprocated with the same option ? For 16 million bucks that the CFL is demanding, they deserve a No. 1. and the CFL should be obliged to give them one. That 16 million will be shared by the other 8 franchises.

Im sorry, but youre a little disillusioned to expect an all-star QB from the expansion draft. Unforutnately there will be a cost for Ottawa in personnel for being suspended for a year - the team that comes back in 2007 (if it happens) will be very different from the one that played in 2005

There are a lot of players, including QB's, coming out of US colleges every year. Who will be the next 'nobody' to become a big 'somebody' in the CFL...thats up to the scouts and coaches, but they're out there.

Ottawa will not be paying $16 million to re-join. That's a red herring.

They floated idea of $6 million expansion fee plus a $10 million bond. The bond would only be tapped into by League if owner wasn't paying bills etc. It's not a trust fund or rainy day fund for the owner.

Besides, I think League has got message as to what Ottawa fans, and others, think about the new team forking over anything close to $6 million to rejoin.

The problem or perception again is at issue here. If like some of you Ottawa residents are hung up over the fee and for instance the league charges $0, you know what those pundits or anti CFL fans and media will say. Here is a league that's giving away its product and is worth zero. No value and just like the worst house on the street, when the best or others are valued or possibly sold, what does the real estate agent always compare and bring up during sale negotiations, the minimum value that's what.
For years we who love the CFL dearly, have been saying let's get our overall house in order and stop devaluing our beloved product.
Stick to a fee for expansion and make it non negotiable, I know this per say with Ottawa is not like your true expansion fee, but really it is. The league has taken over the team from the Gleibs and is now selling it to a new owner.
Just like the franchise down the street that goes out of business and the franchisor steps in. To retake and sell to a new owner. When was the last time that someone came in for free, just posting a bond will be enough? Yea right.
Again, what will that say to a real
expansion team in Halifax and QC, when they talk about the price. The prospective owner will say, yes but you last team sold for nothing.
It's high time just like Calgary and now in BC where Braley is looking upwards around $10M, that the values increase not go backwards or remain stagnent.
My CFL includes the Ottawa Renegades.

Yes, that is the paradox.

I see why the League was floating the $6 million fee. They didn't want to be perceived as devaluing the product esp down the road when they trying to convince new wonership groups to put teams in Halifax, QC or wherever.

But this situation is not the same as saying Cgy sold for X $$ or BC is "worth" X $$$.

Also, I can assure you that the two new owners of Tor and Ham paid anything close to $6 million in '03.

There is also the point that the League in part made the mess which led to the team's suspension. It is why Wright and certain governors are hell-bent on correcting that problem.

The other problem is that you don't want to burden a new ottawa owner with a high franchise fee given that he has to rebuild from scratch and faces years of losses not to mention a massive selling job.

The League will come up with a figure not too high to drive an owner away but not low enough to cause undue criticism.

Wright is going to have to mimic Solomon on this one.

Agree how teams in the past including Toronto and Hamilton paid considerably less. Some over the years paid zilch, maybe taking over current debt. Was it the guy in Memphis, Fred Smith who owns UPS or something came in also for the bargain basement price. The other American owners had varying prices.
Precisely my point, over the years it's helter skelter.
So, why not start from today onward, set a value and stick with it. Like I said before, the league should be in the catbird seat and not the other way around. If the new owner bitches and complains then to me red flags should immediately come up about the under funding Gleiberman type issues.
In addition to being the best entertainment value around, isn't it about time the league including each respective franchisee is run like a PROFESSIONAL OPERATION. Which ultimately can only increase value and is merely a supply and demand scenario.

Eakin, garbage? Obviously you didn't watch him pick your team apart last year for 400 yards and 3 t.d's, and that was after only being in Hamilton for 2 weeks.
[/quote]
Ya, Eakin looked great against the BB last night....putting up all those points! :roll:

Why should the Renegades' new owners, whoever they end up being, have to pay franchise fees? The team still exists. The only costs should be the $10 million bond, plus whatever Glibberman sells the franchise for, since he's still the owner. Franchise fees are supposed to apply only for expansion teams, which Ottawa isn't.

Ya, Eakin looked great against the BB last night…putting up all those points! :roll:
[/quote]
Yeah, Eakin let me down big time. It just goes to show how bad the Renegade D was last year.

I can't believe two people picked Spergon Wynn to QB Ottawa next year. They would go 0-18

I think those 2 people picked him before the season started.

Yeah, Eakin let me down big time. It just goes to show how bad the Renegade D was last year.
[/quote]
Also shows you Paopao was on the losing end both times!

well, those other 8 that thought Buck Pierce should be the man, you may have just picked the next winner based on his performance on Friday against the Esks.