Which Is More Important -- Attendance or TV Viewership

It’s wise to have a vision for expansion beyond borders in media.

Right now getting attendance right to drive ratings consistently ought become the top priority before the next round on contract talks, and having merely Toronto interests lead that discussion now is a bad way to go.

The league and game are far more popular in much of the rest of Canada.

I would be stunned if it showed any revenue yet. But in looking past the end of our noses, it is genius.

I suspect Mexican fans will get more “enthused” once they see more of their players in the starting lineups as this project moves forward. Also, I’m sure the fans are taking a bit of a wait and see attitude to see if it’s worth their time to watch. Like any business trying to crack a new market, it would be lunacy to expect results already.

I dunno...I think viewership represents the future of all professional sports. I also believe higher viewership will translate into higher attendance. A televised game is like a 2-hour commercial for the league. More eyes on TVs should mathematically result in more butts in seats.
Well said I like. More eyes on TVs should mathematically result in more butts in seats. So then make going to the game a pleasure not a rip off. Totally unreasonable prices for game tickets, parking, treats, and drinks. Volume should equal lower costs. Example!! Our bar has pints for CFL games $5.00, Wings{12} $7.00, Burger only $7.00, Parking free, Jumbo screen-free. Admission free, and as a bonus no Oakie pokie half time band. They also have 3 vans to drive you home in the area free of charge. Now that is a deal at $50 bucks. And it's packed. Smart owners!!

I don’t think you’ll be seeing foreign players (non-kickers) in starting line ups for a long, long, long time.

I don't think you'll be seeing foreign players (non-kickers) in starting line ups for a long, long, long time.
Another flop by Randy. Throwing darts again. No actual direction.

It was a good move to expand interest in the game, at the time with the AAF and XFL set to be main competitors of the CFL for recruiting talent, the CFL had to look beyond the borders of NA.

TV viewership

only real chance for significant revenue growth is to grow the value of the TV contract with TSN.
I don’t believe this CFL 2.0 bullshit. TSN deal must impove big time to improve the league.

NFL and US college conferences are all funded by TV money — butts in seats don’t matter — that the model for football.

Attendance has been the same for 40 years. And will probably decline over time due to younger people not going to sporting event like they used to.

Two hours???

I wish the games were two hours only.
3 hours minimum.
And the longer they run, with TV time outs, challenges, reviews, and injuries, the worse it has gotten.

The game needs the fans in the stands. Lots of arguments for being at the game.

The people that run the game need the tv revenue.

Broadcasters want the same fans to watch from home in order to sell advertising.

Without the fan at the games the television audience will eventually erode to the point where advertising is not easy to sell.

All comes down to this million dollar world we live in. People choose their priorities.

Disagree fervently. He actually has a direction, even if there are some who don’t like it. I like the direction, consider it brilliant to reach out and try to capture foreign markets (since, I’ve been told, the Canadian market is static around 33 million). I’m impressed he’s figured out a way to go around the NFL, and isn’t just taking another “wait and see” approach with nothing more than crossed fingers and “prayers” that things get better.

But he’s months into the CFL 2.0 initiative now. Why hasn’t he already doubled or trebled league revenues or developed a single star global player? Does he expect fans to actually wait years for this so-called plan to bear fruit?:o

It’ll definitely take time. Not to mention his main focus right now is likely Montreal saga, then the Schooners, overall health of the league including decreasing attendance, then likely foreign players. He’s already set the picture for involving foreign markets, bows it’s about those foreign markets to grasp the Canadian game

I don’t know when I can take a trip to Canada and also for my business, but I would like to sign up now for this programme for a future season.

I voted for “TV Viewerwhip”, some kind of Freudian slip I guess.

Imagine what it will be like to watch a game in 5-10 years:

• the Skycams will be replaced by twelve unobtrusive drone cameras
  • most of the skill players will have GoPro cams and accelerometers on their helmets
  • all the officials will have cams, as will the goal posts and goal line markers
  • everybody will be mic’d up
  • home entertainment and sports bars will feature flat-screen TV’s with 244-inch diameter
  • betting and fantasy sports will be gigantic; Montreal will emerge as the Las Vegas of Canada
  • when the camera pans to spectators in the stadium, they are all glued to their tablets
  • the jumbotron hanging over the field will be eight stories tall
  • the Alouettes will still be trying to seduce a new owner, but their starting QB is Canadian
  • whenever there is a TV time-out, a live band in the stadium belts out a 6-minute song.
  • they will still be using chain yardsticks for first downs, because … well just because.

I’m just saying, don’t underestimate the power of Moore’s Law.

I am not a fan of these back to back Thursday night games. I can’t see how they help either attendance or viewership. I can’t see a lot of people wathcing both games on Thursday. They will pick one or the other I think. Since I live far away from Regina, I like that I can watch all of the games on TV. But I think it is important to fill the stadiums for the teams. A full house at Mosaic or any stadium is good for the team. It increases the energy and can pump the team up. When the game is on, the team doesn’t see how many people are watching it on TV. And even if there are millions cheering for the Riders at home watching TV, that won’t have an impact on the team during the game. But cranking up the noise to get that defensive stop for the Riders can certainly help them out. And even as a home viewer, it pumps me up seeing a stadium going nuts. Can’t wait for Labor day as I will be at the game in Mosaic!

Love it! And I can’t disagree with ANY of them, except for the “live band” prediction. In 5-10 years, there will be no such thing as a “live band,” as almost all music is now electronic tracks…not even real musicians in the studio.

Very forward thinking, Wob!

While I believe TV Viewership is more important, I have to agree that I don’t understand the double-header on Thursday. I like the Thursday game, but I’d rather have two on Saturday…an afternoon and an evening. Or even better – One Thursday, one Friday, one Saturday, and one Sunday. But I’m greedy.

I voted for "TV Viewerwhip", some kind of Freudian slip I guess.

Imagine what it will be like to watch a game in 5-10 years:

• the Skycams will be replaced by twelve unobtrusive drone cameras
  • most of the skill players will have GoPro cams and accelerometers on their helmets
  • all the officials will have cams, as will the goal posts and goal line markers
  • everybody will be mic’d up
  • home entertainment and sports bars will feature flat-screen TV’s with 244-inch diameter
  • betting and fantasy sports will be gigantic; Montreal will emerge as the Las Vegas of Canada
  • when the camera pans to spectators in the stadium, they are all glued to their tablets
  • the jumbotron hanging over the field will be eight stories tall
  • the Alouettes will still be trying to seduce a new owner, but their starting QB is Canadian
  • whenever there is a TV time-out, a live band in the stadium belts out a 6-minute song.
  • they will still be using chain yardsticks for first downs, because … well just because.

I’m just saying, don’t underestimate the power of Moore’s Law.

Wally Very well said Things are a-changing. Tomorrow I’m going to through away my black and white TV. Maybe even buy one of those new cordless phones with those fancy push buttons.
Well back to the grainery. Howdee all.

I’ll make a point for TV viewership now though I feel strongly that attendance need be the driver more than mere TV viewership and not the other way around even nearly as strongly.

For Ottawa at Edmonton on Friday night, ESPN2 showed the late game with 10PM start.

I never make it through these late games without falling asleep, but I did make to somewhere in the third quarter that started sometime near midnight.

Since I have caught games in the US on ESPN or otherwise since 2010 via pirate or official feeds, when it was not the TSN pirate feed, I have noticed a vast improvement in the quality of the advertising and names. The improvement started as I recall perhaps in 2017.

Now for games the advertisers are top flight with far fewer cheesy local homer cable ads thrown in there. We in the US see now, like last night, regular ads during CFL games by firms like IBM, Exxon Mobil, GMC, Burger King, Arby’s, Shell, Toyota, et cetera.

This reality would seem to indicate that the CFL indeed should draw more south of the border in ad revenue especially with the next deals for media rights.

On ESPN+ I’m not sure how the ads run, and that’s where I like many will be going via Disney+ next year anyway, but I figure, if not already, such top advertisers will be incorporated.

They buy large amounts of time for each season on the ESPN channels and beyond and allow for their promotion to run during CFL games because the brand is good and along the lines of their target demographics. If they didn’t feel that way, we’d be back to the homer bojack local corny ads like years ago.

Agree with you totally this league needs a change of direction .

If this isn’t about other countries playing three down Canadian football in a semi pro league that someday can be full pro to play down for a world championship then I am lost how you can seduce International eyes away from the NFL .

It’s the only weakness today that you can exploit . They don’t let others play for the super bowl ( world championship ) it’s an exclusive club mentality .

Your not selling football your selling our version of football it’s a totally different end game .

They already are fully aware of football played and they choose 4 down NFL so you need to change the direction of the conversation at what your selling to media and foreign leagues as you can actually go further as a city or nation by choosing our brand of football .