Where have all our players gone, long time....

Well said, I’m agree completely with you. I just wish we could keep some of the familiar faces around here longer. Hopefully a larger salary cap in the future helps with that.

You have to look at it from the teams perspective - very few CFL players stick and most will be back in the CFL within a year or 2. In less than a month the players would be UFA’s and free to sign.

By extending the courtesy to the player it increases the chances that player will return and sign with that team after being cut in the NFL. It also lets other prospective US players who may overlook the CFL know that you can come and play in the CFL and be able to turn that into a shot at the NFL.

Look I get it - I will take the CFL over the NFL every time. But from a players point of view the CFL is to them what the AHL is to hockey players - only the NHL is the big show.

A starting player in the NFL can make more money in one year that most CFL players make in a lifetime. I’m ok with teams doing what ever they can to recruit talent and completely understand letting them go a month early to ensure - If they are cut - that your team will be the first they think of when considering a return to the CFL.

The early release for the promise of returning comes close to falling into the category of a side deal.

Another poster suggested moving the free agency date up which I think is a better arrangement.

Dec.15 or Jan 1 possibly.

Problem with an early free agency date is that applies to signing with CFL teams as well … current date allows teams to work some extensions if they have (in this case) 2018 money left to spend before having to dip into the 2019 budget … that helps continuity … but the CFL needs to find a way to allow a player to tryout and sign with the NFL but still be bound to the CFL team if and when they ever return … perhaps a NFL window from December 1st - February 1st that suspends the existing contract until the player returns to the CFL … the contract can be renegotiated (up or down) but there is no CFL free agency created.

Right now about 5 CFL stars heading south for tryouts or already signed (Ty Long) and possibility of up to a dozen CFL stars heading south.

Begs the question.

When a CFL team grants a player an outright release - isn’t there still a waivers process where other CFL teams can grab the guy (on a priority basis)?

Apparently not.

Randy has tightened the management/coaching cap but he’s sure loosened players rights to abandon existing contracts and head south.

So whats a contract worth?

Thought so!

I appreciate the argument that we wouldn’t get guys like Duke Williams, Samuel Eguyovan, etc. if we didn’t whisper the hidden escape clause into their ears when we went a courtin’ - - - - but now its really gonna impede the league from growing.

Soon - 10 teams - thats another 55 to 65 players (plus neg listers) being added to the CFL.pa roster. Is it sustainable. I’m sure Randy thinks it is.

However, is it sustainable to increased payments from the broadcaster?
Will fans tend to purchase more season tickets - or less?
Will casual fans be excited by less stars per team?
Can our canadian junior & college system provide more canucks to stem the tide of lost american tweener stars?

Again, anyone have an answer on when the waiver process was flushed down the crapper?

With the CBA not worked out then it’s pretty hard to justify staying put right now in the CFL .

It’s forging a good relationship with it’s players if they let them try out for the pot of gold in the NFL right now .

With this good relationship it will much easier come negotiating time .

Gestures done with best interests of the player will have it’s rewards .

Nat. LB Alex Singleton has been released by the Stampeders to pursue NFL opportunity.

Has been signed by the Philadelphia Eagles.

Huge loss to the Stampeders; he was a great MLB and a Nat. player,making it even more difficult.

Richard

I believe its TSN’s Naylor stated that approximately 80% of players that go down to the NFL each year end up back in the CFL.

I don’t mind teams letting players that are going to be free agents go a month early or now that the window is back. What would be the point of holding players back for a month?

New players will be found.

I think Dickenson was down for a few years trying to qualify for a NFL pension and then came back up.

Assuming he doesn’t get cut.

Educated guess Singleton ISN’T cut - - - he’s an all-purpose game. If he wants to work special teams on the suicide squad he’d be a welcome addition. Good sense of where the football is - no fear of sticking his nose into tough situations.

Would also serve as the 5th or 6th linebacker - perhaps even some strong safety duties if he times out ok . . . .

Huge loss indeed. A great player and a “national” to boot with a great and more importantly marketable personality. After BLM, dare I say the most recognizable face of the Stampeder organization.

And now, they BOTH may be gone. :cry:

David William Naylor?Verified account
[ltr]@TSNDaveNaylor[/ltr]
4h4 hours ago
For those keeping score,
that’s 4 @calstampeders — Vaughters, Michel, Thurman and Singleton — and

4 @EdmontonEsks — Mitchell, Maston, Ceresna and Williams — that have signed NFL deals this off-season

EDM had all that NFL talent and didn't make the playoffs! ???

Is that on HC Maas?? I would say Probably

Both Alberta teams leaking oil right now

I would say, absolutely. Most of the rest of the coaches as well.

Since it’s a virtual certainty how BLM will be gone for good or at least for a better portion of our season, I wonder if there is any thought of speaking to and bringing back Andrew Buckley from U of C medical school?
Notwithstanding the crucial gaff in the 2017 GC, he was a very good back up.
Maybe a sure thing first stringer for a Canadian?

The Stamps will be fine with Arbuckle and Cozart.The draft should bring Chris Merchant
out of Western Ontario.He is a Calgary native with solid pro build and excellent running ability.
He would be a good fit for the Stamps.
If you wish to see a potentialBLM clone who can also run then wait for Gage Gubrud out of Eastern Washington.
He is currently on BC’s negotiation list.Wonderful crop of potential CFL QB’s in this NCAA
graduation class(Devlin Hodges, Lamar Raynard, Jake Browning, etc…).

I will disagree! BLM is not that easily replaceable, especially with those 2 inexperienced QB’s

I would think that Mike Reilly also won’t be re-signing in EDM also
His REC corps has left and has an aging RB in Gable and a cruddy Defence.

Hervey is going to go hard after Reilly in BC

The Alberta teams are hurting big time right now

Wouldn’t surprise if Old Huffer made a play to secure services of JJ Jonathan Jennings and The Field Mouse, Kevin Glenn to stop-gap his breached QB program.

Glenn, even at 40 is an experienced campaigner who can get you thru the first half of the season when defenses are a bit loose and his blind-spot passing can be effective. Just make sure you’ve groomed Buckley or Jennings to take over when the going gets tough.

Other CFL teams to make a play on Jennings:

1. Toronto - especially if Ray is put out to pasture
  2. Regina - if Collaros is deemed hi-risk health-wise

As an Eagles fan, we sure do need depth and help at that position too but he better be able to pass cover also if he’s going to make the team.

url=https://twitter.com/RedZoneInsiderJames Layton[/b]?[/url]
[ltr]@RedZoneInsider[/ltr]
19m19 minutes ago
#Steelers hosted #CFL OT Ryker Matthews for a tryout today

Toronto??? They already have 2 of him. They would be the last to kick those tires.