When did you become a CFL fan?

I was at home watching tv when I was flipping through the channels and came across a game on SportsChannel Florida (now FOX Sports Florida). I was intrigued by the rules and the field size. The 90's was also the period of CFL expansion into the US.

It's been tough to follow because of carriage issues which take place every year in the states but I've managed. The internet has come in handy from time to time (I prefer to watch on the big screen, though).

When I was about 6 in the early 70's. Whatever games were blacked out I would listen to on the radio, often the tractor radio when working the fields. Losing the Grey Cup on Tony Gabriels TD catch (1976 GC?) was one of my earliest memories of CFL. I also remember they broadcast the previous years GC game on Saturday of GC weekend.

Was wondering what happened to some former US college players, and found this web site. Watched highlights of the 2009 season during a blizzard in Jan. '10 and found out it was much more entertaining than the NFL. Been a fan since. Chose the Argos to follow because they were the worst team in the league at the time -- don't like to join the bandwagon.

Also, really enjoy the CFL in July and August, when baseball is the only thing going on.

It was a typical childhood really, long trips in the minivan to head to the game, green and white shirts at christmas and birthdays, learning to scream go riders go, and lullabies of "Rider Pride."

My dad has been a season ticket holder my whole life and beyond, I'm pretty sure he started taking me at around 5 (when he didn't take one of my brothers) but it was probably when I was 8 and the 89 Grey Cup that I finally realized how important this was as my Dad went without any of us to the game in Toronto. I think that clued me in to how special this league is. Now with 13 Grey Cups under my belt and an untold number of games, I don't know what I would do without this league.

…right on Billy…the league gets into your blood…I remember when the Bombers were the talk of the town in the late fifties and i was about 12 at the time…became an instant fan…I was very lucky in that i could go to a practise field and watch football and play it from a very young age…The CFL holds a lot of great memories for me and continues to be the league of my choice… :thup:

Late 50s for me. First game I attended live was in October 1962 when I was all of nine years old. . . Saskatchewan in Hamilton; Cats won 67-21. A rookie quarterback named Joe Zuger got his first start in that game, and set a CFL record by throwing 8 TD passes in the game, a record that still stands.

Been watching since the mid-1970's. I became an Ottawa Roughriders fan early on I guess, but my best recollection is the 1981 Grey Cup between Edmonton and Ottawa, where the Roughriders were up 20-1 at the half. It was sad to watch Ottawa struggle in the second as Dave Cutler kicked a last second field goal to take it for Edmonton.

You always remember your first time, eh?

For me, it was a single touchdown throw by another special Ticat player. The game was in Ottawa, and I was probably the only Ticat fan in the endzone bleachers, as I think those seats were only sold locally at IGA stores. The play was a double-reverse, and it looked like it had failed miserably with the ball-carrier surrounded by defenders. At that point I pointed at a Ticat player alone in the endzone right in front of us, and suddenly the ball-carrier threw a perfect pass right to him for a touchdown. Not sure who the receiver was - memory says Zuger, but references to the game say it may have been Fleming - but the ball-carrier was definitely the one and only Garney Henley.

Was Zuger also the punter MadJack??..Seems to me he was booming 70 yarders in one game or am i confusing him with another qb. of the time…Great athlete

I was 3 years old wtching the Grey Cup between Calgary and Montreal wearing Flanel pj's on our old Black and White trying to figure out what the numbers at the top right of the screen meant. True story.

Yes papa, he also punted.

Oh yes, for sure ! :lol:

Our home was strictly hockey. One day I was channeling our B+W tv and came across the Bombers playing Ham. My old man laughed at the game but I was intrigued. Maybe I was 6 or 7. My Dad's cousin was a die hard Ti-cat fan and he told me how exciting it was. I wasn't going to follow his team so I secretly watched as many games as I could and got to know the league better. It just blossomed after that and I became an addict. 1961 or 62 would be the start.

He was definitely the punter as well as the QB for pretty much the entire 60s. He played safety in his first year or two with the team, although it was mostly his abilities as QB and punter that got him the job.

My first season was 1956 at clark park. Bombers vs Esks. Parker, normie,nelson, billy smith, and much more. Still remember
that great day. HOOK on cfl that day.

My first memory of Ticat Football and CFL was 1972. It was Grey Cup in Hamilton. I was 3 and remember going with my brother and Dad for Chinese takeout before the game. We had a tire blow out and missed Kickoff. Started going to games when I was 8 or so. Rest is history............................

Are we twins lol. :cowboy:

Mid to late 50’s for me. My parents had season tickets for the Eskimos, we would get to stay up till they got home from the games and we would hear about the exploits of Jackie Parker. We moved to Calgary and I attended my first live game on November 24, 1962 at McMahon Stadium on my 9th birthday, Western Final, last game of best 2 out of 3 series with Winnipeg. My hero was Harvey Wylie of the Stamps. Unfortunately the game ended with Wylie attempting to kick a wide field goal out of the end zone and botching the kick. Farrell Funston jumped on the loose ball to score the winning TD as the Bombers won 12-7.

First Grey Cup attended, 1975 - Calgary

For me, Ive been a fan of the CFL ever since the league held that meeting at the ole' Royal Alexandra Hotel in Winnipeg and decided to name Sydney Halter commissioner. That moment I knew the league was headed in the right direction.

Mind you, I'd been following Canadian football since 19ought6.

////What a grand hotel was the Royal Alex…They should have never knocked that landmark down…I can still remember the deconsructiuon crew removing huge hardwood panels that made up the walls in that hotel and wondering why it was allowed to be destroyed…Hey day of the railway and the demolishing of that hotel was signalling a huge change… :frowning: …Sorry a little off the topic…A lot of CFL fans passed through the Royal Alexandras doors at one time :wink:

Since the first time I saw the Riders play. Went to school with Ron Lancasters boys when I was 7 to 10.