What's Wrong with Darian Durant - TSN's Thoughts

Jock and Milt feel its all in his head/confidence. However they are split on whether Willy should start next game.

The circus he is in, is enough to rob a player of their confidence. That is what an unstable and chaotic environment, like that of the Als does to some players.

Others simply stop caring, or play selfishly.

Darian, keeps using the word "we" when asked about his poor play. That is not what a leader does. Montreal fans won't put up with this mediocrity any longer. Kavis has already lost most of the fans support and most of the media's support, interestingly after firing the first French Canadian HC in the team's history. The Anglophone media has been the most direct in its criticism. That comes as a surprise to me. I guess Boivin has a lot of pull.

You make some solid points, particularly how Durant doesn't use the term 'we' - unless it's about poor play. Whenever something positive occurs (like the game 1 victory over the Riders) he makes it all about him, despite the fact that win occurred due to a missed FG and his play was mediocre. Durant's ego is catching up with him sadly and he's not displaying any leadership characteristics that a $500K QB needs to provide. Another good point you make is how Kavis Reed is pushing the problems downhill. Chapdelaine is the fall guy here. Lots of problems in Montreal.

I was ok with the Durant "experiment" as long as we kept grooming our young Quarterbacks. First Bridge, then Cato and finally when the fans were starting to DEMAND that Vernon is given a shot because of the poor play of Durant. Kavis made sure to eliminate that possibility. I hold Calvillo and Chapdelaine responsible for being complicit in allowing Kavis gutting our young QBs and utter failures at developing young Quarterbacks after the team had invested heavily in them.

Calvillo has been a massive disappointment to me as a coach... Chris Jones now has 3 of our last year's quarterbacks and is on his way to make the postseason!Might even be by knocking the Als out of a seat in the East division! Toronto who finished dead last in the league last year I believe is fighting for the division with players Kavis Reed discarded!

Reed has been a disaster and IMO the last nail in the coffin of CFL football in Montreal.

I also noticed Durant's use of "we" didn't perform or made mistakes.. not "I". I already was not impressed with his signing, nor his play afterwards, even less when I understood he wasn't even at very least the leader I thought he'd be.

He was the cornerstone of Reed's overhaul strategy, and it has predictably been a failure.

As to the Als jettisoning all our young QB's, I don't see how we can blame anyone but Reed.. we have no idea what if any input Chapelaine or Calvillo had in that decision. And I also don't know if any of them even had what it takes to become a successful starting CFL QB, if one of them ever becomes one while we're still looking then I'll complain.
For all I know Shiltz is better than the ones who left, if so fine.

Watch Reed get taken to the cleaners by Tillman pulling a hail Mary trade with Hamilton for Manziel...

First of all this regime traded Vernon Adams but was not responsible for disposing of Bridge.

I heard Durant taking full responsibility for his play last game. he said " as leader of this team I have to play better"

I think he has the yips. Like a golfer all of a sudden not being able to chip.A mental block that he may never get over. I remember a second baseman for Dodgers who suddenly not be able to throw to first after making some errors. And a catcher not being able to throw back to the pitcher.

All that said, Durant had a habit in Sask of criticizing HC and OCs.

He's always been one to get buried in his head when not playing well. A shallow confidence level imo

I wonder how he has been practicing.

But certainly I thought he was a great pick-up. Just shy of an elite QB. Hindsight is easy.

I know Bridge was the previous regime but Cato and Adams are on the current regime and the fact he traded Adams who won some games last year behind a very, very bad olineand made sure he was gone before giving him ONE opportunity to play while Durant was shitting the bed for 8 games is very telling. Kavis Reed can’t be trusted but he’s all yours now.

Were you opposed to Durant when they were signing him?

I don't mind saying I thought it was a great signing. Personally I can't put my finger on why they are so bad other than a poor receiving corps. I'm shocked athow Jackson and Giguere are performing ( Jackson not used enough and Gigure seemingly just going thru the motions)The teamjust seem so disheartened and trying too hard.

Anyway I really hope the Als bounce back soon. It's not reallya team fan thing as much as a potentialweakening of the league.

The city had more than a decade riding the crest and 5 years of struggle. Likeall teams sooner or later. No continuity is a recipe for disaster in all sports. Just cant keep making changes. Everybody was calling for O'Shea's head and everybody connected to the team. They resisted the urge and pressureand pushto fire against all odds.

Apparently, Reed brought in Ken Miller, because Durant was at his best with Miller coaching him.

[i]http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/alouettes-turn-to-former-coach-to-get-qb-darian-durant-back-on-track[/i]

There is a slight flaw with that reasoning. During their seasons together (2009-2011), Durant was good, not great:

[i]https://www.cfl.ca/players/darian-durant/92407/[/i]

He threw too many interceptions, and his touchdown to interception ratio was awful.

Durant has had one "great" season, in 2013. But, Miller wasn't there in 2013! Chamblin was HC, and George Cortez was the OC.

Maybe Reed should have gotten Cortez...

I can understand that Miller (at 75yrs old, no less) was brought in to settle DD down mentally. He has that charm with many players. BUT HE'S 75!!

Contrary to what Kavis Reed says, DDs issues are mental. Miller surely isn't going to help DDs footwork, lol. Simply put, DDs not earning his massive paycheque that he demanded - and now everyone knows it. Panic setting in and he's looking the part. If I were an opposing DC coordinator, practices would be about pinning back the ears and going at him hard. DD already has a tendency towards tossing pics, so add in the extra D pressure to his odd two step, and that ball could go god knows where.

What's wrong with Darian Durant? He plays for Montreal and not some other poor sap team willing to give him 400k a year.

No I was not opposed as long as it did not impact the development of our young QB’s… you can do a search. I must have written it 12 times.

Durant is done, totally completely done. He cannot pass and has lost most of his escapability. I know that Kavis was hoping for a renaissance for DD but the signing has been a total disaster. Its time to move on. Willy is not a answer either and should be cut. The rest of the league has been finding great to viable QBs but not the Als. 6-7 years of trying to find an AC replacement has led them nowhere. Popp was to blame and now Reed is just continuing the same poor decision making. Do the Als have the worst scouts in the league?

Well, the Als (Reed) hired this guy. So, yes…

Its revenge from the 2009 to many men i tell ya!

Les pires dépisteurs, les pires entraîneurs, les pires propriétaires, les pires quarts-arrières et les pires joueurs. La seule chose qu’ils n’ont pas, ce sont les pires partisans, mais ça s’en vient à grand pas. Je ne crois pas que les Alouettes vont gagner une seule partie du reste de leur saison tant ils sont pitoyables. Pour ma part, je libérerais Durant aujourd’hui, j’offrirais un poste de coordonnateur à Kavis Reed et ferais le ménage de fond en comble.

Parmi les gens disponibles présentement, je ne vois qu’Ed Hervey pour opérer un redressement, et il faudra lui donner les coudées franches. C’est un gars qui prend beaucoup de place, mais il a montré qu’il peut rebâtir une équipe de football canadien. Reed et Mack n’ont jamais montré ça.

Herb Zurkowsky?
[ltr]@HerbZurkowsky1[/ltr]
19m19 minutes ago
More

Darian Durant is day to day with a lower-body injury

Don`t remember him being injured in the game, must have been a frustrated fan kicking him in the nether region.

I suspect they want a reason to sit him down without a public benching. I look for an IR announcement soon.