What's with the Same-Old!

Well, I've had almost a day to calm down after we gave that win to the Argos! there are some striking similarities to what we experienced last year with that game! I was there...that game we should have won by 10 points!

a lot of people have commented in other threads about some of the things that really pissed me off but 1 stands out that i can't find....

What in the heck were they thinking calling a shovel-pass in the late 2ndQ with 17 sec. on the clock and deep in our own end. Oh sure it had worked earlier...but we were down by a few points and needed to take some momentum into the lockerroom. they gained a few yards...big deal...they should have gone long and to the sidelines to stop the clock and give our receivers a chance. AND...this is the BIG ONE!!!! WHY...WITH 8 SEC. ON THE CLOCK, YOU TAKE A KNEE????? Nothing like giving up!!!!! Where did we see that before...and the same results at the end of the game????

Penalties...dicipline(or lack of it)...the blow-up on the sideline...SHOWBOATING...missed field goals...missed tackles...And the next biggest faux-pax...The first interception thrown ....that was the game-breaker there...THAT WAS IT! 2 steps to the sidelines and everybody is good...BUT NO....I'll throw an interception....Sorry people...that was a rookie mistake AND "KEVIN EAKIN SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE BALL" on the next series! Maas didn't deserve it. Go ahead...jump on me for saying it...but I said I would give credit where credit was due...AND our O-Line was pretty darn good...but our QB did not do a good job and as such did not deserve to finish the game!

I don't want to see SAME OLD...been there done that..didn't work in the past...won't work NOW! The coaches have some decisions to make...MAKE THEM! This year you have the weapons....USE THEM PROPERLY...don't shoot yourself in the foot! MY GAWD...taking a knee with 8 sec.s on the clock!!!! :roll:

Oh...one other thing...the TO FANS were much better behaved this year at Rogers Centre and I quite enjoyed the pre-game tailgate and the friendly rivalry and kidding around...that's what the game is about...having fun! :thup: :thup:

Only one game, woody.

We can't forget: New QB, new system, new players CANNOT gel in a short training camp and two preseason games.

The Argos are a strong team and are stronger for the continuity they are able to maintain and exploit in the early part of a season.

We'll be fine, QB and all.

While Maas' pick was bad Boreham missing an 18 yard field goal FORCED the team into having to score a major THEN get another posession and get back the three points they should have gotten and then only to be tied instead of up by three.

Not making excuses but that situation maybe have forced Maas into thinking he had to do something risky and try to make a play which that pass certainly was when ordinarily he might have gone out of bounds.

How about the backside receiver offside on the touchdown near the end of the first half .... that was a game breaker !!!

He should have been kicking for an extra point! Period! The team did not look cohesive in my op. No sense in re-hashing all the obvious! I was criticised last year for being too lenient and forgiving of mistakes! No excuses this year!

Please read my first post again…what in the heck was with the “Knee” with 8 sec. to go in the first half! Gee…we saw that last year…And it hurt us…seems like somebody is saying…OK, lets not try to put some numbers on the board…lets go to the dressing room down, with no momentum!

I said it before and I’ll say it again…“the coaches have some difficult decisions to make…MAKE THEM”…you have the weapons…use them!

Yeah, I think we can tack this one up to a few players not performing and the coaching staff giving the Argos way too much respect.

Not really going to disagree with the knee, I know the coaches will say that they didn't want to take a risk of an interception in their own end, but I agree they could have taken a safe deep shot. One catch and some YAC or a penalty, and you can easily score points.

As far as the Maas interception, I didn't like him making that toss, but I also noticed on the replay that the receivers were not helping Maas out. If he is going toward the sidelines, the receivers should also go toward the sidelines or the corner of the endzone. I believe Maas was trying to throw to Peterson who was sitting on the goal line about 10 to 15 yards away from the sidelines. Maas then tried to pass to him before going out of bounds across his body. This is a very difficult pass to make. Not making an excuse for Maas' decision, but the receivers need to help out when the QB is scrambling.

I don't like the loss, a little better execution and fewer penalties and we win this one. The stats show us ahead as far as yards from scrimmage go, but we lost on special teams again and with the penalties.

I can only hope we learn from this one, and put a better foot forward next week.

PJ

Excellent points.

How about the backside receiver offside on the touchdown near the end of the first half .... that was a game breaker !!!
I was out of the room when that happened and never did get to see the replay. Was he running towards the line of scrimmage attempting to hit it just as the ball was snapped?....if so, that's a 'timing' thing and it happens sometimes.

woody said

The first interception thrown ....that was the game-breaker there...THAT WAS IT! 2 steps to the sidelines and everybody is good...BUT NO....I'll throw an interception....Sorry people...that was a rookie mistake AND "KEVIN EAKIN SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE BALL" on the next series! Maas didn't deserve it. Go ahead...jump on me for saying it...but I said I would give credit where credit was due...AND our O-Line was pretty darn good...but our QB did not do a good job and as such did not deserve to finish the game!

woody, I am still really angry that Jason Maas blew a perfect opportunity
to capitalize on Renard Cox's interception on the Argo 19 yard line

but what I hear you saying is, let's yank our prized off season QB aquisition
after one interception regardless of what that would do to his confidence,

and the confidence of the Ticat Offence in him.

The fire-breathing Greg Marshall looks capable of doing that!
but even he hasn't done that yet.

When the play call isnt to you (and you can tell this when the QB takes the snap and doesnt even look to the left side of the field) there is NO excuse to be offside.

Sorry Ron...we will agree to disagree on this one! Jason did not have control in this game. At that point of time in the game..a move by the coach would have been in order! I would have started Jason again next week in spite of what may have happened, had Kevin been given the ball!

We will never know...they never tried...did they??

Just like we will never know if Flick or Ralph could have caught a bomb down the sidelines at the end of the 2nd...they never tried...They gave up and took a knee!!!! :oops: :?

Maybe it’s just me, but I can’t see that taking a knee with all of 8 seconds left in the half is “giving up?. 8 seconds is NOT enough time to run two plays when one of them has to be HUGE. Maybe in the red zone. But when the receivers have to run 3/4 of the way down the field, it’s just unrealistic to expect it to happen. The team did NOT give up. When there were 17 seconds left they did not take a knee. They instead made a short pass to their most dynamic player (one who is known for breaking and avoiding tackles) - this when the expected play would be a long bomb to the sidelines. They attempted something non conventional in the hopes that the blue team would be unprepared for it. They failed. Then rather than take a chance on a low percentage pass that just as easily could be intercepted and returned for points as caught for an improbable touchdown, they took a knee and cut their losses.

Just my $0.02

I'm pleased that somebody took me on on this issue...OK..let's think about it!

they had 17 sec.s when they started this "Drive"(for lack of a better word).

they sent a shovel pass up and picked up a couple of yards. they then had 8 sec.s left!

Why wouldn't they do some time management exercise here and drive the ball down the field by using the sidelines, which stops the clock!

Have you ever seen Doug Flutie in action????

There was plenty of time to score a major. Or at least get into field goal range! That was my point...when you drop a knee...you give up the chance of moving the ball! That was my point! We needed points!

We probably should not maintain the status quo. I think a change at quarterback is necessary to inject some life into the team, a quarterback who would not throw the ball away when running, to the other team. Someone like...Danny McManus.

(The above is NOT sarcasm. I miss DMac, and I think his interception reputation is undeserved.)

I think so too. You'l probably see the interceptions stats rise and fall with the team's performance.

A lot of his late game interceptions were the result of being behind in the game and playing desperate.

The defence is in prevent mode and is waiting for the long ball, and becuase you're behind you have no other option but to throw the long ball. Danny knows they're back there, but there's no choice in that matter. You've got nothing to lose at that point.

The exact same thing happened with Maas' second interception.

[i]

[/i]

I guess thinking "positive" and forgeting about lost opportuniites are sort of relative terms, eh woody? :wink:

No bashing from Woody here is there LOL

The only positive in that thread was about Argo fans. Whats the world coming too.

:cowboy:

A thread 3 months old!!!!! WOW you guys have a lot of time on your hands.

Thanks for the memories though! That rant was relative then...too bad it took, what, 6 more losses before a win???

Again..thanks for the memories "Kiddies' :lol:

What he said!