What's up with Laurent?

I've been out of the loop a lot this season so I don't know the details. But he keeps dressing and not starting or even playing. He has 14 tackles which I can only assume were recorded earlier in the season.

I'd appreciate any enlightenment anyone can offer.

Teddy Laurent is having a wonderful bounce back season after last season when he was nursing a knee injury for the entire season. Teddy is back to his old self, plugging running lanes on running plays and tying up two blockers on most passing downs. If you have a chance to watch Teddy, you will see that whenever they try to block him with a single blocker, he will drive that blocker several yards into the backfield, thereby flushing the QB out of the pocket . . . then it is the DE or LB's job to get the sack.

Yes the coaches are managing his snaps this season, but he is still a force to be reckoned with.

5 Likes

Ted has played in 12 of the team's 13 games this season. He was a pre-game scratch, due to a groin strain, for game #12. He has not been a starter, always listed on the team's depth chart as the back-up nose tackle, behind MIcah Jonson. Laurent's season stats show 7 defensive tackles, 2 QB sacks, and a forced fumble.

2 Likes

I was going by the stats it lists at the top of his profile, but yes when you look down to 2022 his numbers are as you say.

I like how they're rotating Teddy in there during the games. He's getting older so it ends up being a little less wear & tear on him. Plus it keeps that D-Line interior fresh in case these big dudes get a little gassed.

1 Like

I think it also gives them the flexibility to sub in an American for Mason Bennett. Although I’ve never watched player movements closely enough to confirm.

3 Likes

During the Winnipeg game, there were long stretches when both Micah Johnson & Dylan Wynn were on the sidelines (even before Wynn got injured). This meant that we had 3 Canadian D-Lineman on the field simultaneously . . . Mason Bennett at DE, Mohamed Diallo at DT, along with Teddy at DT. The other DE position was manned by either Crawford or Carney.

I cannot vouch for how that lineup performed. I was focused on other things. As @Krisiun points out, they dress a lot of D-Lineman and they rotate all of them thru the lineup. If you are handed a helmet when you get to the Stadium, you will play.

3 Likes

He and Simoni have the same problem. 33 and 34 are the problems. Yes quarterbacks have a longer shelf life but D-linemen and Linebackers, 11, 12, seasons is near the end of their career.

I think his leg or knee injury is being managed, but it's not healed. Still some had in the tank though. Would be great to have him back one more season and then see him hoist the Cup at home next year!

3 Likes

Yeah, I miss his massive dominance out there. The way he can throw professional OLmen around like toys is fun to watch.

That's exactly why Carney was out there for that strip sack and scoop and score last game .

2 Likes

It was sad that TSN almost missed that play with a sideline interview. Their timing on those has never been good.

1 Like

I realize it was the HOF game but holy shit those sideline and booth interviews were annoying as Hell . The Carney TD was agreed almost missed and the Ricky Ray booth one later on in the game lasted more than 5 minutes then was quickly followed up by the Shivers one on the sidelines . Ridiculous , absolutely ridiculous .

TSN has a pregame as well as a halftime show so why not use it for these interviews ?

5 Likes

Exactly

2 Likes

...or can them and use them during injury stoppages at the very least....

1 Like

I think he replaced #49 on the play though. Surprised Crawford got the start over Carney.

It's a combination of age, injury and depth. We probably have the best defensive tackle roation in the league with Laurent, Johnson, Wynn and Diallo.

1 Like

Methinks "Le Grand Silence" will see lots of action in Montreal Friday night...