what's the tie-breaking formula for the standings?

I notice on www.cfl.ca that the Ticats are listed 3rd even though we are tied with Winnipeg and we have more points for and fewer points allowed. We are not listed in the crossover standings though, which suggests we have the tiebreaker working in our favour.

Anybody know the tie-breaking formula? It will be a real drag if a Western team crosses over and bumps the 3rd-place eastern team even though that 3rd-place eastern team is tied in W-L with the 2nd place team.

I guess that raises a second question: would the crossover still apply? From the crossover standings, it looks like it does. Ouch, that would really hurt.

red24

The GameTie Breaking Procedure

When two or more member Clubs are tied in the final Division standings at the conclusion of the regular season schedule, preferential ranking for playoff purposes shall be determined on the basis of the following priorities and shall be awarded to the club that:

a.has won the greater number of games played against all member Clubs of the League or,
b.has won the greater number of games played against the other tied Club(s) or,
c.has scored the higher net aggregate of points (i.e. points scored for less points scored against) in games played against the other tied Club(s) or,
d.has scored the higher net quotient of points (i.e. points scored for divided by points scored against) in games played against the other tied Clubs(s) or,
e.has won the greater number of games (or percentage of games) played against all member Clubs of the Division or,
f.has scored the higher net aggregate of points in games played against all member Clubs of the Division or,
g.has scored the higher net quotient of points in games played against all member Clubs of the Division or,
h.has scored the higher net aggregate of points in games played against all member Clubs of the League or,
i.has scored the higher net quotient of points in games played against all member Clubs of the League or,
j.has won a coin toss against the other tied club.

The crossover team (in this case a Western team) needs a BETTER record in order to cross over and claim the 3rd spot, if they end up tied in the standings for points, the Eastern team will keep it's 3rd playoff spot.

thanks - now that I think about it, unless we tie Winnipeg in the final game, the tie-breaking formula in the standings won't be needed. If we do tie them, then we're sunk (and a Western team can cross over), because they beat us by 10 last game and we only beat them by 8 earlier in the season.

red24

True, but what I meant was that the Western crossover team could have 2 more points than both the 2nd and 3rd place Eastern teams (who are tied with each other) and bump the 3rd place team…which would suck if it was us…but I later realized it can’t be us unless we end up tied with Winnipeg which would mean that we would play them to a tie in the last game of the season.

red24

My bad, I guess I interpreted the initial question incorrectly. If there’s only 3 games between the Bombers and Cats then it’s pretty well impossible to end up tied as I believe head to head would be the 1st tiebreaker. Gotta keep hoping the Eskimo’s lose the rest of the way so there’s no cross over.

I’d prefer to finish in 2nd so we get a home playoff game and don’t have to worry about crossover. 2 wins should do it.

red24

We beat them 25-13, so we won by 12, not 8.

http://ticats.ca/statistics/statsGame/id/417

red24
[/quote]
I'd prefer to finish in 2nd so we get a home playoff game and don't have to worry about crossover. 2 wins should do it.
red24
[/quote]
I agree. If the Cats play the remaining games like they played the Als today, then we should be okay. Of course it goes without saying...I'd prefer to see the Bombers continue to lose.

As of right now we are in 3rd in the divison due to the tie breaker???

I understand it to go as:
Head to Head
Record in Divison
Points for
Points Against

Just making sure I have everything in line incase we tie :wink: the Bombers in the last game of the year

Look for the Oct. 18th thread "what's the tie-breaking formula for the standings?" The second poster there ro1313 provides the procedure from the CFL Rule Book.

As for your question about "right now" -- if the season ended today, HAM would get 2nd, WPG 3rd, and EDM (4th in the West) would crossover to play in the Eastern Semi @ HAM.

(HAM gets 2nd when tie-breaking procedure "c" is applied, since "a" and "b" don't do it.)

I'm not sure how the Tie Breaker works, and don't really care what the current standings are, because our season is going to ultimately come down to the game in Winnipeg.

Barring a tie in that game, if both teams end up with the same number of points, whoever wins that game will be in second in the East.

The only way that game does not matter (as long as there are no ties), is if one team wins the next two games, and the other loses the next two games. While it would be nice if this happened (as long as we were the winners), it is pretty unlikely.

The tie breaker is going to be the last game of the season.

PJ

Good point. As a result of late-onset dyslexia, I read the score as 23-15. :roll:

Therefore, we are officially in 2nd place right now. This means if, in the unlikely event we have the same record as Winnipeg for the next 2 games AND tie them in the final game, then (i.e, we’re tied in points at the end of the season), then we will get 2nd spot.

red24

how confusing.......