whats the story with the new ottawa franchise ??

new to the forum and havent heard anything on the ottwa forum in a while
always loved the rough riders and cant wait to see them in action again

Just read the post on "how are negotiations going" you will find out what's been happening. Basically its 2013 when the new stadium is finished.

i thought the commish said there going to be playing next year anyway hopefully

That’s impossible , if Lansdowne Live gets approval and they start tearing down the old stadium it will be 2013 before they start playing

hers a link to the article

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/268044-stimulus-to-cfl-expansion-3-get-ottawa-competitive-quickly]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2680 ... ve-quickly[/url]

If things wait until 2013, yikes, I don't know. But bleacherreport is just that what it is but good article none the less.

ell if the commish wants them to start next year i think theyll be starting next year

I was arguing this with other fans…Waiting until 2013 won’t mean a thing in terms of the team’s chance for success.

The reason we were debating it is because someone thought it would reduce interest to wait that long. I disagree because you get to see things built along the way.

Plus, the disappointment you feel now at finding out that the team won’t take the field until then won’t last. If people had to commit to tickets right now, of course it would hurt. But that’s not the case.

The example I used was finding out that a movie is being made. Say you were a fan of Transformers cartoon as a kid. Then you hear there’s a movie coming, but not for a couple of years, 'cause these things take time.

Does that mean that once it finally does come out, you won’t go because it took too long? Of course not. You’ll hear that such and such an actor has been signed. You’ll realize very quickly that Megan Fox is smokin’ hot. :wink: You’ll see some pictures from the set. You might see one of the posters. Next thing you know, you’ll see a preview. When the day comes, you’ll be in that theater all right.

Same with a football team. They’ll reveal the name, then the specific uniforms. They’ll hire a general manager, who’ll sign players. Those players will start making public appearances. The 2013 schedule will come out, then camp will start with plenty of media coverage. Throughout this whole period, the stadium will gradually take shape.

Those who intend to show today will show up then too. It sucks now but it’ll be worth it.

i think the cfl needs a strong ottawa franchise that much is obvious
but it needs to be done softly softly however i really doubt it will be done that way

Softly?

slowly and carefully softly softly so as a good chance is given to the team

They’re saying all the right, but maybe when it comes to pulling the trigger they’ll be more apprehensive. It can’t be easy to set the rules for having your own roster raided. I know I wouldn’t look forward to seeing who I’m losing for a Quebec City expansion draft.

No fear of that, I don’t think there’s any one in Quebec City that is coming forward to finance a CFL franchise. Yes they may have a stadium that could be renovated for CFL but you need rich backers that are prepared to pay the fee and lose money for a few years. Quebec is happy to have 20,000 in the stands to watch University football, that costs nothing.

[i]Same with a football team. They'll reveal the name, then the specific uniforms. They'll hire a general manager, who'll sign players. Those players will start making public appearances. The 2013 schedule will come out, then camp will start with plenty of media coverage. Throughout this whole period, the stadium will gradually take shape.

Those who intend to show today will show up then too. It sucks now but it'll be worth it.[/i]

I see what you're saying CRF and yes, makes sense. I think also especially after the 2012 100th Grey Cup which should be a real defining moment for the league, the build-up to this one as we've seen the past few years for the GC and the next 3 out west, and then the 100th which will be huge.

Quebec is happy to have 20,000 in the stands to watch University football, that costs nothing.

Yup mike and that's like a lot of cities in the US with college football that are quite fine with the college game that have cheap prices for tickets compared with the NFL and cities don't have to worry about putting money into stadiums much and that, the college game works big-time there as we all know. The talent level for the NCAA isn't what the NFL is but still very good. Laval and Quebec City get that as well. That being said, I still think that CFL cities provide more to the fans than just offering the college game as the talent level between the CIS and CFL is much greater than what the NFL is to the NCAA and CFL fans who don't want the student atmosphere get a much better product without some of the silliness that can go on at CIS games, at least when I went to Western games way back there were some really dumb student drunks that I woldn't care to be around any more.