What's next

although a slow start ,we had that win in our hands yet again it slipped threw our fingers. Thats a rough 1 to take.i thought we had a great team to go all the way.....well some rethinking and some changes for next year.

I had honestly pegged them as an 8-10 team pre-season and out in the 1st round...so I am fine with the showing. This is a team that was rebuilding...there are a PILE of new faces compared to the past couple of years...both players and coaches.

This is a young coaching staff, and it will grow with the team...I like that.
DD, IMO, played superb the second half of the season, and really most of the season. The drops he had to watch destroyed his rating this year.
The D was ranked 2nd...ad in a lagitimate rush end...golden.
The OL was disapointing for the money put into it.
Sheets was great to watch, as was Jock Sanders...shame he was out for this game.

What would I like to see next year:

• More of McHenry...which I think is a given
  • an upgrade to McKenzie...which is now likely in the system via Collins
  • Hawkins replaced...perhps that is Veikune or Rowe...I liked Veikune's play...he deserves more game time
  • A serious look at the FG unit
  • Trade Getz if Sisco and Bagg are healthy 4 or 5 weeks into the season...unless he turns his act around. At least with McHenry they can afford to sit Getz now!
  • I would love to see Jason Clermont brought in as a WR coach. I'm sorry, but the recieving corps seemed to decline through the year McHenry asside. I was on the fence with Jason Tucker before the season...he may not be the problem, but he is clearly not part of the solution. JC is a local guy witha good buisiness on the side, so won`t be likely to jump ship. He was not an overly fast target when he played, so you know he can help guys improve on reading the secondary and finding open spots, and IMO had some of the best hands in the CFL...there is clearly a disconnect between catching the ball and looking up field too soon...this would suggest he can help in that. He was also a fairly good timing route runner, though I must admit Tucker was a little better. JC also showed an attraction to coaching, as he held a lot of team meeings at his own house.
  • I would see if Eddie Davis could be lured in as the DC or an assistant DC for grooming. I have no idea if he would be interested, but he was the commander and chief of the D for the years when the Rider D was the only thing that was decent in green.
  • I would give Khari Jones a raise...he has worked really well with DD
  • You need to sit Kris Sweet and Dyce down and see if they can work better together. I question if there is a disconnect there, because there is a big lack of play action and the run game, as good as it was, did little to assist in keeping DEs in check on passing downs. This OL needs to be better. They showed a lot of promise early in the season, but in the end couldn`t hold up consistantly to even 3 man rushes.

Agreed, and Getzlaf was one of the most egregious offenders. Could not believe his inability to make a play in the WSF.

- You need to sit Kris Sweet and Dyce down and see if they can work better together. I question if there is a disconnect there, because there is a big lack of play action and the run game, as good as it was, did little to assist in keeping DEs in check on passing downs. This OL needs to be better. They showed a lot of promise early in the season, but in the end couldn`t hold up consistantly to even 3 man rushes.
One thing I want to disappear is the frequent use of empty sets on second down. Check-release, sure, but don't empty the backfield pre-snap that often.

Perhaps take a look at the SB position - a Cary Koch type player, that has been pointed out in the review thread. Other than that I feel the talent is there - thus some tweaking so to speak.

What's next..... an interesting off season.

You're all pretty much on the mark.

1. FA Neufeld. You think Pat could move into centre? Or does he stay at tackle? Or do the Riders lose him in FA?

2. Bagg is done. I put him in the Dominguez category. Would love for him to be healthy but his body limits what he can do. I hope he proves me wrong but it might be time to move on.

3. Sisco.........stay healthy. Did a fine job when he could play.

4. O-line............somebody mentioned our return on investment isn't there? I agree. Heenan will push and be a starter............so who is out? If they can't offer Neufled a nice contract he might be gone? Krausnick Groh is FA? Labatte was disspointing but I don;t think they try and move him out. I could see Picard traded or released to spend money on Neufeld and extend other Cdn's.

5. Sanders...............need to try and find a good backup for a scat back like this. West proved he's not in Sanders league?

6. Craig Butler is crying and screaming to play more. He;s been vocal about it and I think he;s entering option. An Ontario guy that you don;t want to see a Fantuz on? Play him and he'll be happier. Where that leave Patrick at 30-31 years old is maybe the end of the road.

7. McKenzie. They say he always is the best cover guy.............but but but. Macho Harris, Milt Collins maybe? Macho plays aggressive and I can see him at halfback. I can't say I was hugely impressed with Russ in the last 1-2 months? He seemed to plateau?

8. T. George. He's 31. I think he's done. He's a tweener...............won;t beat Williams and Alford for tackle spot and too slow to play end. He had a chance to sack Tate last week but he just isn;t agile enough............Tate got away and made a throw? i think T. George will be gone.