What's happening with Kyries

Nice to open a football forum and as a bonus get a law lecture. The legal value of that lecture is somewhat suspect though. I would suggest the professor might want to read an actual contract. Thank you.

I guess that Hebert signed that contract with the Gliebermans is one thing people keep missing here. It should have been once the Gades were "suspended", those contracts should have been voided, peroid. Any team that picked up a player should have had to re-sign them when they picked them up in the DD. If a player was not picked, they should have automatically become a free agents. The CFL did an absolutely terrible job handling this, just another reason why TW should lose his job at the end of the season.

…maybe you should get a job as a legal adviser for the CFL…sambo…you seem to have all the answers to a situation…that rankles everyones mind …and is not all that common to the league (dispersal)…Obviously there was a communication breakdown … between the league management…the cflpa…and Hebert and his agent…TAKE NOTICE…this is not the FAULT of the Bomber organization…we were shrewd enough to recognize the situatuon for what it really was and acquired a guy off of the waiver wire LEGALLY…you can twist it anyway you want…oh the guys gonna be a downer in the dressing room…i think that’s what you said…well i believe the Bombers are willing to take that gamble…and i bet if we were to cut him …the Riders among others would be standing in line to obtain his services…Things will definitely b ecome a little clearer once the arbitration is settled…and that won’t be long now…(i hope) :o

I think the CFLPA is very, very poorly represented. Once Renegades players were ignored during the dispersal draft. A draft that had NO ROUND LIMITS. These athletes became unemployed with no one looking out for them. You can't blame Hebert of trying to find work. FREE Kyries! FREE Kyries!

a contract was signed by Hebert with the gliebs…a contract that was still in effect when the Bombers picked it up…i believe after nobody wanted to take on his contract (except the Bombers)…that makes him a Bomber/…no…yes …maybe so…we’ll find out after the ARBITRATION… :o

I just think the CFLPA needs some teeth...

yes Hebert signed the contract with ottowa but his problem is not that he wants to be on a cfl team sambo, he wants to go to the nfl… if he wants to go to the nfl then he shouldnt have signed the contract with the cfl, simple as that. he does not have a problem with winnipeg, hes got alot of friends here and loves playing under greg marshall. he also likes the fans. and guess what, the reason we picked hebert up so late was because if we didnt hamilton had the right to turn around and pluck him before we did. hebert said it was a good move for taman, but not for him. he was waiting in the hotel to sign the contract untill 4 ocklock, he admitted this in an interveiw with doug brown. do you know what that means sambo… i must have told u this 10 000 times. it means that he knew he had to wait untill he cleared waivers. tom wright made a mistake by saying that, and hebert is desperately trying to get down south so he’s using that as an argument.

why let him go anywase? he’s a good player. footballs a bussiness, not one big happy family. we let him go, he fails comes back north, then we have to outbid rich teams like BC, Toronto, Montreal, and Edonton. do u really think winnipeg can do that? i dont. this guy obviously just wants more money and to play for the league he grew up watching. and if he wants more money there is no way we’ll get him over the 4 teams i listed above. so guess what, hes suspended untill he reports. we have some real good linebackers to fill in anywase so its really not a big loss.

So if he wants to try the NFL, why not let him? If he makes it, good for him, but if he exhausts his NFL possibilities , then Winnipeg gets a player who will PLAY his best for the team, James. TW and the CFL brass bungled this totally. They should have made the rules clear to the players BEFORE the DD took place.

yes they should have, would have saved the CFL a big mess. but think about it.... do u think someone who wants more and more money will come back to the bombers after being cut in the nfl? montreal, toronto edmonton and bc would out bid us easy.

It would depend on where Kyries wanted to play... Winnipeg would have just as much of a chance as any other team

i dont think so, it seems like its really all about the cash for this guy. and if thats the case winnipeg simply cant compete with them in a bidding war

James, I just read over this thread and it was only a few posts ago you were saying that Hebert liked Winnipeg, liked the fans, liked Marshall and had lots of friends there. If this is true i think you would have a good shot at signing him when he returns from the NFL

The idea of letting him go and then saying he will come back just doesn't make sense. Look at Arlan Bruce. He was in Winnipeg then decided to try the NFL. Eventually he was cut and came back to Canada looking for work. Winnipeg really tried to get him back but could not match the bucks offered by Toronto so off he went. Once you cut a player to do whatever, you have lost all claims to him so does anyone see the problem here? We should hang on to the rights to him and then if he really wants to go to another team we could get a good player for him. The idea that he had signed with the Gliebs is hog wash. Why does he not sue them? He signed with the Gades who were part of the CFL as is Winnipeg. Once on waivers he was available to all. We took a chance on his charges being reduced and they were. Why it should take six weeks for the CFL to sort his status is nuts but then probably par for the league. And... if the other teams wanted him why did they not claim him off waivers?

…exactly…the reason other clubs didn’t claim him is that they were either …sleeping at the switch(not Taman) or they were too scared to take a chance on the guy…the Bombers made a shrewd decision…and it will pay off…i can’t see Hebert letting his career go down the drain…IF .the arbitration is not in his favour…WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to long a time span to have this resolved…it can’t be that complicated…get a respected mediator in to decide…this is just bullcrap… :o

1. The contracts signed in Ottawa could not be voided when the team was suspended. It is mandatory that players be waived first, and a player picked up the waiver keeps his current contract, unless both him and his new team agree to work a new deal.

2. Kyries Hebert dig his own hole when he signed for five years with a CFL team in the first place. Had the Renegades kept operating, this whole story would not have been an issue anyways. Changing teams after being waived does not change the legal implications of being under contract.

3. Taman is not an idiot for refusing to let him go try out in the NFL. While the GM COULD let him do so, he has no obligation to do it. Pleasing your prima donna is something you can do to buy peace, but it also opens the door to similar requests from other players full of themselves too. Taman decided to play the waiting game. With Hebert under a five years contract, he can afford to do so. Hebert may sit out for awhile, but when he realizes it's the Bombers or nothing, he'll probably pick the football career over retirement.

And NO, he will not stink on purpose when he finally dresses in Blue and Gold because 1) prima donna never want to look bad and 2) if he stinks on the field, he will never get a tryout anywhere else in the NFL and will probably lose all interest from CFL GMs as well.

However, one question remains: If the CFL can sign Ricky Williams while he's under contract in the NFL, why can't the NFL sign a player under contract in the CFL?

Because he had an expensive contract and his legal situation wasn’t clear at the time. It was a big risk to go for a 200k$+ player when you were not even sure he could come back to Canada.

Not too many people wanted to take such a risk, but the Bombers did.

That is a very good question. Would the league have been as willing to bend (break) the rules if some smaller market team had wanted to get RW? Doubtfull. Sure looks like the fall out of this deal will cost the league in the long run. The Hebert arbitration ruling might be the first indication of a payback to the NFL.

the NFL would need winnipegs permission to sign hebert, toronto needed miami's permission to get williams. we got othing to worry about. WPG clearly has the ball in their court here.

the longer it takes those morons at CFL HQ to settle this, the more I think Hebert may actually win.......this is just plain ridiculous now....

It was that way to begin with Pigseye, the CFL officials bungled this process from the suspending of the Gades franchise to the DD and now to this abritration hearing, it seems like it never ends.