Whats going on with Tickets

It looks like we havent sold a ticket to the East finals, why arnt people going!!?? i know the Grey Cup is the next week but do people not like football, and want to go to a couple of games!

Why in the world, other than money of course if the crowd could be bigger than 20,000, would they hold this game at the Big O? Why take away the advantage of the close confines of McGill Stadium where the Als would surely have more of a home field advantage that at the larger Big O? Weird and I don't get it unless they are predicting way more than 20,000 would want to go. But it doesn't look like that's the case with the GC in Montreal this year the following weekend. Hopefully for you guys fans will show up though, heck, it's the East finals in your home town for pete's sakes? But economy down as well, lots of factors why you might not get more than 20,000 for the east final. It'll look like crap on TV though if this is the case.

I would have thought there would be a huge crowd turning out for the East Final (50,000+) to cheer the home side on and be a powerful 13'th man. After all what would be more exciting for an Al's fan then seeing their team play at home in the Grey Cup the following week.

Maritime, you're talking Montreal here, fickle as fans for sports as you'll find anywhere on the planet. Hey, I'm a Habs fan and while for hockey I love the fans, I'm the first to admit Leaf fans are not nearly as fickle. Look at the Expos, that strike and few people showed up afterwards.

The people have spoken in Montreal, they don't like going to games at the Big O - Grey Cup exception especially with them in it quite possibly. I guess Larry Smith and Robert Wetenhall don't understand this yet, a bit slow I guess. 8)

In the end, I do question how much people in Montreal really do love all their sports teams if they clutch onto one excuse after another to complain.

Well for one thing the prime seats are WAY too expensive for a playoff game in a stadium that size. I would bet if they cut the prices say 60$ instead of 85$ for platinum, and same for all the other ticket prices then they would maybe get 35000. but with their current prices they will get 20-24000. same as they would if they played at mcgill.

here are the prices:

[url=http://www.admission.com/html/evinfo.htmI?CNTX=10740224&l=EN&C=]http://www.admission.com/html/evinfo.ht ... 24&l=EN&C=[/url]

i think the alouette organization thinks they are more popular then they really are.

Good point about the prices pabst, agreed, didn't realize this. The Als just saying "here opponents, have home field advantage." Unreal.

Earl, You are correct about Montreal fans being fickle. I just would have assumed the Grey Cup being in Montreal this year might have meant a bit more to the Als fans. But hey it's still early, over 1 week away and maybe there will be a large turn out. I am actually off on the week-end of the Finals and look forward to watching on TV. I really hope the big O is not 2 thirds empty. As far as ticket prices go, does the CFL itself set the playoff ticket prices? I thought I read this somewhere before a long time ago. Not sure that it would make any sense but if you know share with me. Thanks

i would say the alouettes have at the absolute max, (and this is pushing it) 25000 dedicated fans and another 5000 corporate, casual and freebee fans.

so molson stadium seats 20000. i can't find how many of those are season tickets but i would guess around 15000 seeing that you can always buy individual tickets in the main section of the stadium for regular season games.

so if you sell one playoff ticket to each season ticket holder that gives you 15000, then say another 5000 tickets for corporate sponsors. another 3000 tickets for walkups and general interest fans then another 1500 (and that is generous) for the visiting fans, the total gives you 24500. this isn't exact science just my guesstimation but i would assume that i am not far off.

so if they lowered the ticket prices and got more people that are looking for something to do or are passing football fans, then they would do well, after all Quebec is a HUGE football province with highschool, college and university football programs being big part of education.

the league doesn't set ticket prices, i think the riders just add 5$ to each ticket for the playoff game.

Looking back at previous playoff games at the Big O have shown crowds in excess of 30,000 as well as final regular season games over 40,000 so I just assumed that with this years Grey Cup in town and the Alouettes as a strong possibility to be in the game there would be more hype and excitement.

51,269 (last regular season home game against Toronto)
31,199 (East Semi against Saskatchewan)

45,607 (last regular season home game against Edmonton)
35,607 (East Final against Toronto)

44,510 (last regular season home game against Toronto)
didn't host a playoff game in 07

If this years East Final only gets 24,500 in the stands during a Grey Cup hosting year then I think the plans to expand Molson Stadium by 5,000 seats should be dropped as interest in the team is waning.

Im going to have to take exception to this, Habs fans are not fickle at all we are always behind our team, even when the team was crap the still had the 2nd highest attendance in the NHL. As for the CFL there are alot of football fans but i can understand when you shell out 200$+ for the Grey Cup that you want want to turn around and spend another 30-50$ to go to a crappy stadium twice in a week. Im coming down from Ottawa for the game (Cuz im a hard core fan and i love the Big O Miss you expos)

I think you will be looking at 40 000-50 000 fans there in the end, just wait till the hype wheels start rolling GO RDS!
GO ALS GO bring her'home!

but what was the ticket prices those years? i was at the 2005 and 2006 east final and i would say those numbers would be correct, but i am sure there were at tonne of free/corporate seats.

very interesting how the last regular season game gets more than the playoff game. once again maybe it's the ticket prices, but i don't recall how much the regular season tix cost.

also you will notice how the regular season attendance keeps dropping each year and that they didn't have a regular season game at the big o this year. hmm. are the fans getting bored of the alouettes like they did with the expos? maybe the fickle fans need a grey cup victory to get them back?

They didnt get board of the Expos, they got annoyed with the Worst Stadium. it was ugly, badly designed, indoors and in the middle of no where there arnt any bars around at all (Ever notice why the Grey Cup festivites are so far away from the stadium)
Its not a fickl issue, when they were going to build Labat Park they had 35 000 people sign up for season tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just expand Molson stadium to 25,000 and play all your games there, except the Grey Cup of course. Pricing is important though as indicated. And stadium issues galore, agree. I think in the US where football is more part of the culture there, things would be different.

hey i am not knocking habs fans. they are a dedicated crew. but i believe that als and expos fans are fickle. i would say if you are a fan you will go anywhere to watch your team. right? seriously what is a metro ride to the big o to watch your team play? and there is plenty of parking at the stadium if you need to take your car. no excuses. there is no parking at molson stadium. hmm. and personally i like the big o, it is just a monster of a structure, so unique and outrageous.

and they maybe had 35000 (i need proof for this) SIGN up for season tickets, not actually put a deposit or pay for them. that is like saying everyone is against poverty but when it comes time to increase taxes to help the homeless no one will go for it.

but it would of been nice to have that outdoor stadium down by mountain and saint jacques instead of condos that are there now.

Imagine if the Big O was packed, the Als would have an advantage. Go for it Montreal, show the rest of the country you're more than just a hockey rink, that you can be big, bold and beautiful and have a lot of fun!

hey i am not knocking habs fans. they are a dedicated crew. but i believe that als and expos fans are fickle. i would say if you are a fan you will go anywhere to watch your team. right? seriously what is a metro ride to the big o to watch your team play? and there is plenty of parking at the stadium if you need to take your car. no excuses. there is no parking at molson stadium. hmm. and personally i like the big o, it is just a monster of a structure, so unique and outrageous.

and they maybe had 35000 (i need proof for this) SIGN up for season tickets, not actually put a deposit or pay for them. that is like saying everyone is against poverty but when it comes time to increase taxes to help the homeless no one will go for it.

but it would of been nice to have that outdoor stadium down by mountain and saint jacques instead of condos that are there now.

I was a depost system (like with the 67s) it is very anti clamic for your team to win then everyone piles onto a hot and sticky metro and despereces, unlike with the bell center where everyone poors out on the streets and hits up the pubs. The Big O, which i like aswell, is not good for the city, it would work better if it was downtown but it just doesnt have the desere for most fans. It will have 50 000 in the end (most walk up) but it just doesnt creat the hype. but ill tell you (like in 2003) the Big O full is one of the best sports experiense i have ever experience you cant hear a thing!

i will say it probably is the loudest stadium i have ever been in, even if it isn't full! the acoustics are just odd in there. if it isn't those blowup thunder sticks then it is those metal seats that you can clang back and forth to make a really loud racket.

it is true that it is more convenient to have a downtown football stadium but as i said earlier, if you want to cheer on your team you will go where ever. roughrider fans travel hours away from all over saskatchewan to see there team play. edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium is probably the same distance from downtown edmonton as the big o is from downtown montreal. the big o has been an excuse for being lazy for too long. i almost wish they would blow it up just to stop the crying and excuses. oops. sorry i got a little out of hand there.

PS, isn't the senators arena out in the burbs as well?

Its more of a bitterness then a distance and the lack of anything around the stadium. and FYI the Sens are having a problem with there stadium its just as bad, they are the only Canadian NHL team not to sell out everygame since the lockout! thats why the MLS team will fail if the stadium is built out there

i never understood why montrealers are bitter about the big o. they should be happy there is such a venue. what if there was no big o? there wouldn't be a grey cup played in montreal. there never would of been the olympics there. no huge rock shows, etc.

as for the sens, well just another reason why the burbs suck.

The stadium was so badly built thats the problem. we would love a big stadium, but the whole stadium coasted 1.5 BILLION dollars, we just payed it off. its a huge white elephant and a mess up. it represents the WORST Olympics ever and how the city messed up, so many mistakes. the other problem is the province owns it, it would of been better if it was sold to someone and let a private company take control of it maintain it. it is a very dirty stadium