what would u do if u were CFL commish?

this topic is on the CFL.ca forum, and i am interested to read what ti-cat fans would do if they were commish....i'll start things off with my ideas:

-get ottawa back, keep the renegades name.

-fix punt and FG return game.

-all stadiums must have a CFL logo and team logo on the field, either centre field or endzones.

-bring back Touchdown Atlantic next year, but have montreal vs toronto.

-pre-season games are no longer the same matchups for both games. preseason week 1: toronto vs ottawa and montreal vs hamilton...week 2: hamilton vs ottawa and montreal vs toronto in halifax...etc for west.

• next tv deal, not only get more money, but arrange so if quebec city gets a team, the RDS money doubles ( so wettenhall wont get pissed ).

-move friday nite football to CTV( more people have ctv than tsn and ctv owns tsn ), CBC keeps saturday games and TSN gets thursday and sunday games.

• work with quebec government to get as much funding as possible for a new 30-35K seat football stadium in quebec city...then look for possible owners of a QC team..has look similar to detroit lions, but not exact.

• once halifax wins the CG bid, start the ball rolling on expansion to halifax...team name is halifax, not atlantic or maritimes. has look similar to washington redskins, but not exact.

-work on getting a CFL videogame developed.

Hang on to my paper route.

Red24

Shorten the end zones to 15 yards.

Force a team giving up a safety touch to punt or kick from their own 10 yard line.

Take away the option to take the ball on the 35 after a field goal or safety

Implement the fair catch rule and the downing of punts. CFL punters never get height and consquently the ball is always bouncing resulting in needless no yard penalties as defenders scurry to move out of the way.

Force teams to use their second string QB once they have taken a 20 point lead to allow development of the QB's in the league.

Change the ball to be the same size as the NFL ball. (the size of the ball has been debated in previous chat but if they are the same size why did the CFL run adds saying our balls are bigger?) Can someone from the CFL confirm the size issue on the balls?

(when hamilton plays institute the old rule whoever scores last in the game wins----just kidding but at least cats would have a chance kicking for a rouge on the last play of the game)

I'm not from the CFL, but the answer you're looking for is that the CFL did use a larger ball than the NFL for many years, but changed it a few years ago. Not it's just the stripe pattern that's different.

"Our balls used to be bigger" or "some of us think our balls are bigger" just don't have the same appeal as marketing slogans.

1st thing I'd do is make sure I had a long term contract. The CFL changes commissioners as often as most of us change underwear (I hope).

Other priorities:

1 Team in Ottawa
2 Team in Quebec City
3 Change rules to encourage teams to develop a Canadian QB
4 Allow US-born players to play here as non-imports after 5 years in the CFL.
5 Develop a CFL video game
6 Get CFL merchandise in stores like Canadian Tire, Zellers, Costco, Walmart, etc.
7 Make more of the annual Hall of Fame inductions.

An Argo fan

1 try to bring more of TV market …

2 A Team in Quebec City ASAP
2a I would not return to Ottawa for 5 Years

3 add a Canadian QB to as Development player

4 Being back the Nasalised Canadian Rule.
Meaning one play in league 5 years …
You can be class as Canadian…

5 Change back the Punt Return blocking rules to last years… There are down way to much

6 Have Online Chats one a month with Fans.

7 Have Fan board 2 Members from Each team These Fans would be a sounding board for the league…

8 hire Full time Officals Durring the Season… when your Not on the Field
your Leaning in Classes Held at CFL HQ…
Rules and How make the Right Call

9 Throw out Replay… it don’t work…

Implement the fair catch rule
Not on your life. Never. Not a chance. You got to be kidding. No way. Forget it.

Are you sure you are a CFL fan???
Just askin.

1.Take out the no-yards rule, and just have a fair-catch rule.

2.Have every game played on saturday afternoons. One game per week is played on friday night, and it will be marketed as the big-time showcase game of the week. No more BS playing during the middle of the workweek. The only games not to be played on saturday afternoon or friday night is labour day and thanksgiving.

3.Move goalposts back to end of the endzone and shrink endzones a little bit.

4.Have the Grey Cup played on a saturday afternoon.

5.Have an all-star game played after the grey cup. But alternate it between Toronto and Vancouver, since they are the biggest media markets, you could get many sponsors, and the weather wont bea problem since they have indoor stadiums.

1. Abolish the import rules, and allow any number of non/imports on every roster.

7.Cancel the CFL Draft and allow teams with the worst record to sign players as free-agents in a three week window before training camp.

8.Start the season earlier, and have the grey cup played in late October.

9.Take out that instant replay garbage, because the league is clueless on how to implement techonology.

10.Only go back to Ottawa, if they re-furbish the stadiu,, have solid ownership that has a 30-year plan, new team name/uniforms. Also ban glieberman family from any cfl events.

1. Get a new expansion team in Windsor, Ontario, they have a new college stadium that can easily be expanded to 40,000. they also have passionate fans in detroit , that are desperate for a winning team that cant stand watching the lions.

2. Market the players more often, give them more hype, stop talking about the past players and focus on the future.

3. Have double-headers in CFL cities that have university teams. You could have a double header such as:
    Argo-U of T
    Ticat-McMaster
    Ottawa-U of Ottawa
    New Windsor Team-U of W
    Winnipeg-Mantioba Bisons
    Saskatchewan- U of S
    Edmonton- U of A
    Calgary- Calgary University
    B.C.- UBC

The Cfl needs to invest into youth football and university football, and the cfl needs to stop being lazy and get more programs to encourage football among the youth, especially minorities and aborginal children.

-CFL needs to take a more social-conscience approach and develop Canadian QBs, especially Minority QBs.

-Have the CFL logo on every field.

-Make people take off their headgear, and be silent for the national anthem.

-Create a CFL video game with EA Sports.

-Have a official CFL weekly show on a major network that people can access on basic cable. In fact move every game to basic cable, i dont care if its CBC, Global or CTv, just make sure that you can reach the entire audience of Canada.

-Have more microphones on the field and on players.

-Have a limit on how many times a team can change their uniform and create alternate uniforms.

-Broadcast every cfl game for free over the internet via cfl.ca

-Have student sections in every stadium, where students/young people can attend game at cheaper rates.

-have cheaper beer/food/pop/soda/water/meals at games.

-play less music and allow for a more natural atmosphere.

-have a throwback weekend once per season, where each team suits up in a throwback uniform.

-Have CBC creatse documentaries on fans in different cities like the trailerpark fans in regina, box j boys in steeltown, corporate yuppies in toronto, sushi eating people in b.c., cowboys in calgary, etc, etc.

-Don't allow J.I. Albrecht in the CFL.

-Have a legit salary cap in which teams must abide by. But make it a "soft salary cap" similar to NBA, in which teams can go over over the salary cap to sign their own free-agent player on the current roster, but let's say the team goes over the salary cap, they must pay luxury tax.

-Have revenue sharing to ensure a competitive balance amongst all teams.

-Have a music concert/ showcase show/ kickoff event before the start of every season and hold it before the first friday night game.

also hire full-time referees, and when they are not working games, they are at practices during the week of various team officiating their drills/scrimmages. Also have these refs watching tape, learning x's and o's and studying the game. Have the referees working out in the gym more often, so that they would have the stamina to last the entire game.

This would Turns us into the NFL North..
We are Canadian.. let's keep the C in CFL..

Sign the Gleibs as new owners of the Boatmen. :smiley:

bump

the forums have been quite dead today.

So We Can Completely Eliminate The Return Game?

2.Have every game played on saturday afternoons. One game per week is played on friday night, and it will be marketed as the big-time showcase game of the week. No more BS playing during the middle of the workweek. The only games not to be played on saturday afternoon or friday night is labour day and thanksgiving.
I Don't mind sunday afternoons, and their arn't many mid-week games anymore
3.Move goalposts back to end of the endzone and shrink endzones a little bit.
Why? What Will This Acomplish other then Lower Scoring And A More American Game?
4.Have the Grey Cup played on a saturday afternoon.
Again, why?
5.Have an all-star game played after the grey cup. But alternate it between Toronto and Vancouver, since they are the biggest media markets, you could get many sponsors, and the weather wont bea problem since they have indoor stadiums.
So We Can See Our Stars Pretend To Play And Get Injured?
6. Abolish the import rules, and allow any number of non/imports on every roster.
This has already been argued to death
7.Cancel the CFL Draft and allow teams with the worst record to sign players as free-agents in a three week window before training camp.
I Would Rather See The Draft Shortened To 2 Rounds
8.Start the season earlier, and have the grey cup played in late October.
So We Can Compete With The Hockey Playoffs?
9.Take out that instant replay garbage, because the league is clueless on how to implement techonology.
While I Agree It Needs Work, Just Look At The Tor/Win Game. Toronto Likley would've lost If It Wasn't For Instant Replay.
10.Only go back to Ottawa, if they re-furbish the stadiu,, have solid ownership that has a 30-year plan, new team name/uniforms. Also ban glieberman family from any cfl events.
I Mostly Agree, We Need To Be Cautious Going Back To Ottawa
11. Get a new expansion team in Windsor, Ontario, they have a new college stadium that can easily be expanded to 40,000. they also have passionate fans in detroit , that are desperate for a winning team that cant stand watching the lions.
What Hapens When The Lions Start Winning? We Need Teams With Consistent Fan Bases
12. Market the players more often, give them more hype, stop talking about the past players and focus on the future.
You Don't Think They're Trying?
13. Have double-headers in CFL cities that have university teams. You could have a double header such as: Argo-U of T Ticat-McMaster Ottawa-U of Ottawa New Windsor Team-U of W Winnipeg-Mantioba Bisons Saskatchewan- U of S Edmonton- U of A Calgary- Calgary University B.C.- UBC
I Agree, But Have The CIS teams Play First

The Cfl needs to invest into youth football and university football, and the cfl needs to stop being lazy and get more programs to encourage football among the youth, especially minorities and aborginal children.
[/quote]
They're Investing A Fair Bit In Youth Football, But Money Dosn't Grow On Trees.

-CFL needs to take a more social-conscience approach and develop Canadian QBs, especially Minority QBs.
You Waant To Develope Canadian Talent [b]and[/b] abolish the ratio?
-Have the CFL logo on every field.
Not That Major, But Agreed
-Make people take off their headgear, and be silent for the national anthem.
agreed
-Create a CFL video game with EA Sports.
they're Trying, But EA dosn't Want To
-Have a official CFL weekly show on a major network that people can access on basic cable. In fact move every game to basic cable, i dont care if its CBC, Global or CTV, just make sure that you can reach the entire audience of Canada.
Non Sports Networks Rarely Produce Good Products. As For The Show, The Networks Don't Want To Do It.
-Have more microphones on the field and on players.
You'd Have No Controll Over That As A Commish
-Have a limit on how many times a team can change their uniform and create alternate uniforms.
No Coment
-Broadcast every cfl game for free over the internet via cfl.ca
A) That Will Cost A Fair Bit In Bandwith. B) TV Networks Will HATE This Idea
-Have student sections in every stadium, where students/young people can attend game at cheaper rates.
Again, No Controll As A commish, But I Think Everyone Already Has Student Rates
-have cheaper beer/food/pop/soda/water/meals at games.
you have no controll over this
-play less music and allow for a more natural atmosphere.
No Controll, but agreed.
-have a throwback weekend once per season, where each team suits up in a throwback uniform.
not major
-Have CBC creatse documentaries on fans in different cities like the trailerpark fans in regina, box j boys in steeltown, corporate yuppies in toronto, sushi eating people in b.c., cowboys in calgary, etc, etc.
A)You Have Little Controll Over CBC B)Have You Ever Been To An Argos Game? They Have No Corporate Suport/Yuppies In The Stands.
-Don't allow J.I. Albrecht in the CFL.
No Coment
-Have a legit salary cap in which teams must abide by. But make it a "soft salary cap" similar to NBA, in which teams can go over over the salary cap to sign their own free-agent player on the current roster, but let's say the team goes over the salary cap, they must pay luxury tax.
A Legit Cap s On The Way. An NBA Style Cap Wouldn't Work With Football Sized Rosters.
-Have revenue sharing to ensure a competitive balance amongst all teams.
The Cap Is Low Enough For This To Be Not Needed.
-Have a music concert/ showcase show/ kickoff event before the start of every season and hold it before the first friday night game.
No Coment
also hire full-time referees, and when they are not working games, they are at practices during the week of various team officiating their drills/scrimmages. Also have these refs watching tape, learning x's and o's and studying the game. Have the referees working out in the gym more often, so that they would have the stamina to last the entire game.
Good Idea, But Not Practical As It Would Be Expensive

I don't mean to jump down anyones throats but geez "Defense_Rules"...by the time you've made your changes, we'd end up with NFL football. NO THANK-YOU!

I like the CFL the way it is. I don't want a hint of that NFL crap. Leave the CFL well enough alone. For those who like NFL, go ahead and watch it. Just don't force it down our throats here in Canada by taking our team and our league and corrupting it for your own amusement.

ok, no fair catch rule, but at least have no-yards eliminated, so we can see more bigtime hits on returners, and it would force the returning team to keep extra players back to protect the returner which would setup bigger plays.

no, it would mean we would see returns injured almost every punt

Finally caught up on all the rule changes porposed. There is some good stuff here and hopefully some of it will find its was into the CFL.

On the other hand i see we still have fans that want to maintain things the way they are. Lets make our product better, more fluid, more exciting. Yes some good changes come from the NFL but these rouges and safeties and no yards penaltiies just make the CFL boring and predictable.

Make Hamilton bench Maas

No! Don't take scoring options out of the game. The game is all about being rewarded for getting the ball into the enzone.

Here's a radical and splendid idea, if I can say so myself :wink:

After any rouge, except one resulting from a failed field goal attempt, the team which gave up the rouge must elect to either a) scrimmage from their own 10 yd line or, b) kick off from their own 25 yd line.

After a safety, the scoring team shall elect whether to a)scrimmage the ball from midfield (55yd line) or, b) have the opposing team scrimmage the ball from their own 10 yd line.

Also, if a failed field goal attempt is not returned out of the end zone and results in a rouge, the team giving up the point should scrimmage from their own 25 yd line.

As it stands presently, teams scored upon in these manners receive too much relief.

Option B suggestion
Upon the scoring of a rouge or safety by either team, a tip off (like in basketball) shall be held at midfield. :o :o :o

:D