First, let me say that Joe Paopao was one of my favorite players as a kid. Watching him now, he seems to have a ton of personality and comes across as a genuinely nice person.
But, I finally figured out why he hasn't been successful.
He get's locked into a specific play.
How many times did you see the Renegades do the following:
- Run the shovel pass to Ranek 50 times in a game. It's successful and they win.
- Run the shovel pass the following week 50 times and they lose.
- Not run the shovel pass for the next 6 weeks.
- During those 3 weeks throw the ball to Armstead running one of 3 patterns.
- During the next 3 weeks use the screen pass so much that Joseph's arm muscle begins to atrophy from lack of use.
- Go back to step 1.
We saw it in the first couple of games. Shovel pass over and over. Did they use it at all the next two?
Based on this pattern, we may not see another hitch screen to a wideout for the rest of the year.
What will this week's Obsession be?
Fly Pattern to Flick until his lungs explode and we have to go find what Flag Football team Yo Murphy is playing for?
Or how about a counter hand-off to Ranek 40 times in a row? Maybe the Stamps will think it's an NFL game and only play 11 men.
Joe, I still love you. Just mix it up a little please.