What was Popp thinking?

I don't understand what your saying here.

All as i can say is TAFFEE was an assistant for 2 years in Montreal before he became their head coach.

:cowboy:

Could those of you who want to debate Greg Marshall and other CIS coaches start another thread??

That way the rest of us who are utterly baffled by Popp's thinking can continue...what was he thinking?

There was 1:39 on the clock. They could have whittled that down to 1:20 with the snap count and then the punt play itself would have taken another 7-10 seconds, so say that leaves 1:03. Sure, Winnipeg could have scored during that time, but they would have been starting from their own 35 instead of Montreal's. Not easy to do.

If I'm Popp, I like my defence's chances against Winnipeg's offence for 1 min.

In addition, because Montreal was only leading by a point, Winnipeg only needed to be able to punt the ball through the endzone to get a single and a tie, so the risk of failing on the 3rd down gamble was especially big.

unbelievable

red24

Popp wasn't thinking. LOL

Look, they have the worst line in the league. Our line, with all its flaws at times (blown assignments, pass blocking brainfarts, etc.) is miles ahead because it has only has to get the tackle issue fixed (Dyakowski should be tried at LT to complement Cavka, who has promise). The Als can't pass block consistently and the interior of their line showed their age today -- no push whatsoever on key third-and-one-or-less situations.

The playcall has to be questioned. The only time they punched it in on third-down gambles was when they used 240 lb. fullback Kerry Carter to bowl over the Bomber interior wall. Whenever they tried to run a HB run (Payton) or QB sneak (Brady behind Chiu), they were dead. I hate it when an OC goes away from what works. In that situation, I would have called a run by Carter, preferably away from Doug Brown AND Barrin Simpson. Running straight up the gut against two studs like that with the kind of problems that O-line has had turned out to be suicidal!

All I need to see was the colossal confusion with the FG team on the field in the earlier case when Popp was basically caught having to change the unit to its short yardage one because the player lobby of him overpowered the initial decision to kick the FG. I'm sorry but a coach has to be decisive. That never EVER happens on a Matthews, Buono, or Lancaster-run sideline. Period.

Oski Wee Wee,

I would have kicked the ball. The momentum change of the stuff basically fuelled the Bombers drive into FG range. I fully expect Popp to return to his desk very shortly.

Oski Wee Wee,

Im saying people want Taffe fired just like they wanted Marshall fired . They figure that we have a good team and it`s only the coach who is holding us back . He suffers from the same problem that Marshall had , that being an awful offensive football team !!!!

Hab,

What the hell are you talking about? Where did I say anything about Popp being American or making a good or bad decision? Marshall is OLD news and im not getting into this debate, you're losing that one on your own.

As for Popp, i dont think hes a good coach and I DO think he should be fired. Because he's an idiot not because he's American.

Popp wasn't thinking. LOL

Look, they have the worst line in the league. Our line, with all its flaws at times (blown assignments, pass blocking brainfarts, etc.) is miles ahead because it has only has to get the tackle issue fixed (Dyakowski should be tried at LT to complement Cavka, who has promise). The Als can't pass block consistently and the interior of their line showed their age today -- no push whatsoever on key third-and-one-or-less situations.

The playcall has to be questioned. The only time they punched it in on third-down gambles was when they used 240 lb. fullback Kerry Carter to bowl over the Bomber interior wall. Whenever they tried to run a HB run (Payton) or QB sneak (Brady behind Chiu), they were dead. I hate it when an OC goes away from what works. In that situation, I would have called a run by Carter, preferably away from Doug Brown AND Barrin Simpson. Running straight up the gut against two studs like that with the kind of problems that O-line has had turned out to be suicidal!

All I need to see was the colossal confusion with the FG team on the field in the earlier case when Popp was basically caught having to change the unit to its short yardage one because the player lobby of him overpowered the initial decision to kick the FG. I'm sorry but a coach has to be decisive. That never EVER happens on a Matthews, Buono, or Lancaster-run sideline. Period.

Oski Wee Wee,

I would have kicked the ball. The momentum change of the stuff basically fuelled the Bombers drive into FG range. I fully expect Popp to return to his desk very shortly.

Oski Wee Wee,

Popp isnt a good coach but he`s a great GM and he can come here anytime he wants in my book .

part of marshalls downfall was not surrounding himself with experienced cfl coaches (sound familiar? :wink: ).

as for having popp here as gm, i don't know if i want a man who calls out his players (as a coach), telling them they're making him look bad. shoes on the other foot now popp.

The Als will probably return to being a successful team if Jim Popp would realize he hasn't a clue how to coach and put his ego aside and return to being a GM only.

I have nothing against the Als or their fans, but I find myself cheering against them just because of how big an ego that Jim Popp has, and that he actually believes he's doing a good job.

After much reading, I have to agree with “Dust”…

Talking with my buddy in Wpg after Blink scored his TD, I remarked “you dance with the one that brung you there” and stay with the game plan…and, of course, maintain “discipline” which the Larks did not (and there were a few calls that could have been made against them and were not, on that note!)

Popp is a good GM but isn’t the world’s best coach, nor does he attract the coaching ability towards himself or his team (a reason that the Cats should avoid him like the Plague for the 2008 year)

Popp doesn't think...he's as big a moron as Taffe is...

Marshall the best pretender in football!

Huh ???? Do explain !!!!

Barring a great individual effort by a defender a first down from that distance should be automatic.
If Brady didnt hit the line like a timid little mouse the discussion in here would be about how we chased the great QB of the Future Marcus Brady out of town.
You have to be hungry, you have to want it. Winners find a way. Brady didnt.

Agreed!
Personnally - I don't think it was such a bad call. It was only bad because of the final outcome.
Here's why:

1. the anouncer said is was 3/4 of a yard to a 1st down. 9/10 times, a Q/B sneak should be a gimmme from that distance.
  2. Punting the ball to the Bombers is risky. There are too many things that could go wrong ( blocked punt, bad punt/shank, good return by the Bombers, etc.)
    Besides, the Bombers had the wind, I think, so even if they were 50 yards out, they could still make the field goal, or single to tie.
    If you want to win the game, YOU decide the outcome; not the other Team.
    If there was 1 mistake in making that call, it would be that Popps did not create a play with a backup plan. That is - tell Brady that if he thinks he cannot make the yard on the push, lateral the ball back to a waiting Watkins, and let him have a crack at it.
    There should always be an 'option' play if the original looks to be a failure...
    Believe me - I remember when Don Mathews was coaching, and he made the same call.
    The Eagle - :thup: :thup: :thup:

Dead horse kicked around again. Lancaster should have been shown the door and Marshall would still be coaching end of story.

Don't believe me then why after that year past was Lancaster taken out of coaching?

Popp's team played hard for him, and basically should have won.

His decision to go for it on 3rd and goal (first half), then 3rd and a yard (two minutes left) shows that he has confidence in his players, which I'm sure they appreciated.

The Als are lucky to have this guy as GM and coach. Despite rumors, I can't see him being removed from either position next year.

I keep reading it was less than a yard???
It was a yard...plus.
I'm sorry, but, with the game on the line, a tired and aging offensive line, a strong punter in Duval, unpredictable winds, you make the kick and have your ST and Defence hold them.
You never want to hand the opposing team a win. And that's what happened.
Not only did they lose possession, they lost ALL momentum.
Now, if you are down by one in the same situation, you have to go for it, no arguments there.
In addition, there were a number of players on the both sides of the ball that questioned the call.

this is one of many things I love about the C.F.L. we play to win, the other league plays not to lose, less than a yard, :roll: no brainer should be near automatic

Popp’s coaching record since taking over last year…
10-12.
Lucky to have him???