What they should have called the ottawa team

with cfb petawawa just up north, they should have called them the Ottawa RcR's, with corresponding logos.

I like the current name, it is out of the box.

General Lew Mackenzie was on the radio a few months back and suggested “The Regiment” - keep the “R” , there are other units in Pet too that wouldn’t be happy about the RCRs but “The Regiment” would satisfy everyone. He also explained that Lansdowne was the place that troops assembled before going off to WWI.

...the Ottawa Warriors would;ve been alright....AND it has three r's... :wink:

Ugh, no to military names. What does the military have to do with football? Nothing. If you want to glorify war, do it on your own time.

renegades was my first choice, as i'm not a fan of ottawa being associated with 3 football teams.
with that said;
with the right logos, helmets and uniforms, i could support the RedBlacks moniker.

Landsdown Park has a long history of the military it would not glorify war.

How’s this for a name… RedBlacks!

I am with you. I see nothing wrong with coming back with Renegades (wasn’t the franchise ‘suspending operations’ anyway?). I would have been fine with the name Renegades with Rough Rider team colours with the “R” on the helmet.

Renegades was not the problem. It was the ownership that was the problem.

what the hell does any animal have to do with football?

what does bombers have to do with football.

what the hell does over 90% of team names anywhere have to do with the actual game, or any other sport?

Not your most logical comment.

You’ve raised this point before d&p, and I’m not sure I am getting it on either aspect.

The military has as much to do with football as animals (lions, tiger-cats, alouettes), Inuit (Eskimos), stampeders, or mythical shipmates of Jason.

You’ve raised this point before d&p, and I’m not sure I am getting it on either aspect.

The military has as much to do with football as animals (lions, tiger-cats, alouettes), Inuit (Eskimos), stampeders, or mythical shipmates of Jason. So I don’t see that objection.

Secondly, how does using a military name “glorify war” anymore than it glorifies “disaster relief” or “peacekeeping”, which are also duties of the military ?

…George can explain it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXacL0Uny0

I was going to search & find this before you beat me to it! Well Done R&W! An All-Time Classic!

My vote to answer the original question … Ottawa Rouge et Noir!

RedRum
RedRum

I don't think the name is that bad...it will just take some time to get used to it. It's better than going without a name and having the team being called the CFL's or whatchamacallits... Remember those days?

I like the name Red Blacks makes sense, since it seems the goal was to keep the club name starting with the letter R and using red and black as the official colours.

You know, at first I really didn't like the Redblack's, I though it was silly and too Rugby like...but it's grown on me and could certainly be worse. I still think Riflemen though would have been better.