what should we do with our two high #1 picks in the draft?

In the 2007 draft we have the first overall pick (because we came in last in 2006...YAY!) and the fourth overall pick, I believe (because we received Saskatchewan's #1 pick in last year's Corey Holmes trade). What should we do with these picks?

I think that we should trade the top pick and a starter who may not fit into our plans (like Barrenechea, Wayne Shaw, Cotton or any one of our Canadian offensive linemen) to another team for a #1 receiver, then use the second #1 pick to draft the best FAST Canadian receiver available who can step and in help immediately in 2007. We NEED a number 1 receiver to open things up for Vaughn, Flick and Ralph, and we need more Canadian speed at receiver too.

I think we should keep our first two picks and draft the most talented Canadians available regardless of their position. The CFL draft is not like the NFL draft. You can't draft for position because some years, talent at a particular position, is not available. I wouldn't trade Canadian draft picks for American players. Its always easier to find American talent then to get a hold of the maybe the five or six Canadians in a draft who possibly could be foundation for your team for years.

Well said, MacCat. The Ticats need to keep their draft choices to build a strong nucleus of Canadian talent. A top notch import receiver can be obtained either through CFL free agency or possibly on the open market.

Last year we lost out first draft pick .
We lost out in my opinion on a great Cdn reciever A.Fantuz.
Sask scooped him up and have now extended his contract I believe.
He's a beauty of a reciever,got size and a vacuum attached to his hands for pulling in the ball.
We missed him so what the hay ,no way you keep trading away our draft picks,......
Any GM who trades draft picks away is a loser Maple Leaf GM ,not welcome on my Cats!

Seems these hypothetical trade discussions usually want a trade that involves unwanted players for a #1 something. Why would the team on the end of this deal do that? I can't see this ever happening. Give away a #1 receiver for that?

then use the second #1 pick to draft the best FAST Canadian receiver available who can step and in help immediately in 2007.
Who would that be? Is there someone out here like that?
We NEED a number 1 receiver to open things up for Vaughn, Flick and Ralph, and we need more Canadian speed at receiver too.
Yeah, we do need a number one receiver, but you'd have to give up something substantial to get something substantial. It ain't that easy.

You cn't get anymore Canadian speed than Brock Ralph.

I think the B of G should outlaw trading of #1 draft picks for the good of the league.
GM's will always trade the future to try and win now to save their jobs.
The good teams with smart management keep feeding the bottom feeders players they don't want for #1 picks. This is how Saskatchewan missed out on Clermont and Hamilton on Fantuz.
However, the question at this time is who the Ticats should trade their # 1's for. I think they should trade both the #1 picks to the Argos for Bishop, Ivory, England and Talbot for good measure. Desjardins could sell this as getting proven talent (who the Argos don't need lol)for unknown and unproven draft picks. The Argos could then draft Canadians like a Mike Gyetvai OT at Michigan State, or a Jabari Arthur a WR at Akron a couple of talented 4th year juniors or maybe a J.P. Bekesiak a senior DT at Toledo. This is what BC, Edmonton and Montreal have been doing for years.

I know Bob Young has said he leaves all the football decisions to the football people. I would suggest that he make one decision for them, and that would be "no trading of first round draft picks" and "make sure we have the best scout CFL money can buy".

re- MacCat-I think we should keep our first two picks and draft the most talented Canadians available regardless of their position. The CFL draft is not like the NFL draft. You can't draft for position because some years, talent at a particular position, is not available. I wouldn't trade Canadian draft picks for American players. Its always easier to find American talent then to get a hold of the maybe the five or six Canadians in a draft who possibly could be foundation for your team for years. imo this is the same line heard over and over,YES there are lots of ncaa players available but as seen in the ticats secondery the last few years, Quantity doesnt make Quality. as for the draft pickup the best talent available that will fill any holes in the lineup.!

DoubleBlue,

I think that if the Argos were willing to trade Tony Miles for our number one overall pick and a starter we were willing to part with, we would bite.

The Ticats need receiving help desperately. I don’t care what any Hamilton fan says about “we need to keep these picks to build for the future.” We have been losing now for five years straight! (Even with high draft picks). And I believe that the Ticats will lose the majority of their games next year, too, if we don’t get at least two other top-notch receivers to compliment the three or so potentially good ones we already have. Our passing games was abysmal last year and it wasn’t just the fault of the OC, HC or QB.

We can get one impact receiver through a trade involving one of our #1 draft picks, and another through free agency. Desjardins would be stupid not to consider dealing one of our #1 picks this year if it makes us better, receiving-wise, NOW. He knows that Ticats fans have had enough of watching 2 and outs.

Trade the #1 pick for Fantuz (sp) :wink:

We had a winning record in 2004.

Every team's situation is different and sometimes it will be in the team's best interest to trade a number one pick, and sometimes not. Some teams may be on the verge of winning it all and others will be young and rebuilding.

Also, from year to year, the talent of the available crop may vary, and one year a number one pick will be more valuable than in another year. It all depends on the talent available in any given yearand in what postiion.

It's the GMs who decide. It's their job and if GMs put their own job ahead of the team's performance then they'll have a very short career. I don't see a need to prohibit trading draft picks.

I don't think Tony Miles would be worth the first pick in the draft. Maybe before last year, but he is getting longer in the tooth, and is coming off an injury-plagued season. I doubt the Riders would trade Fantuz for first pick, because he is now a known-commodity to them, and has a great future.

But woulnd't it depend on who is available for the first pick? Some evaluation and consideration would always be needed before any such determination, no?

We have done nothing in the playoffs for five years. That means we have been losers for five years.

And the Riders would never trade Fantuz. He is young and capable, and Tillman knows the value of Canadian talent.

There are two draft eligible canadian OTs coming out of bigger american programs this coming draft.

where did we stink last year? (aside from Woodard coming back?) OT!!!

Another option might be McKoy coming out of UofGuelph, saw this guy lightup UofT (not that that is anything special) but hes a big fast receiver with decent hands. might be worth a look.

Okay, so you consider a winner to be a team that wins a playoff game. Gotcha.

Well if that's the case, then I'm all for drafting these guys.

I agree with Espo. The foundation of a great football is on the O and D lines. Both of the Ticats first round picks should be used on on offensive linemen, both for depth and the possibility of future starters.

Anyone can become a quality receiver if the quarterback has time to find them. Besides, what team in their right mind would part with a #1 receiver for a collection of our spare parts and a draft pick? We'd just end up with another Chris Brazzel.

CaptainKirk...if I was an owner the only way I would sanction a #1 draft pick trade would be for a starting CFL QB in his prime like a Ricky Ray. All other imports are available, you just have to get out there and recruit them.
Couldn't fault Hamilton last year for giving up their #1 for Maas, he just hasn't turned out to be the player he was in Edmonton, yet.

Bravo Double Blue!One thing is true.
You've seen an example of the worst.
Trade draft picks to those in first.
How True Double Blue!
Good on you!
(refering to your first post,goofy in offseason :expressionless: )

In the 2006 CFL Canadian Draft, the Ticats drafted two Canadian offensive linemen who were starters in NCAA Division 1A this year.

Peter Dyakowski was one of the starting offensive tackles for LSU this year. You will be able to check him out for yourself when LSU plays Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl on Jan 3/07 at 8:00 p.m. He wears jersey number 77.

Cedric Gagne-Marcoux was the starting centre at University of Central Florida this year.