What Season Did the Modern CFL Peak? How far have we slipped

Everyone agrees that the CFL was at it's Zenith in the 70s. The excitment peaked in the 90s, but finacially the league was a mess. The low point was 96 and then a renaissance began. This could have peaked in 2004 when the CFL recorded huge playoff attendance numbers. With the way TV numbers being calculated changing drasticly, it is really hard to compare TV numbers from then with the other possible peak period. The CFL averaged over 28000 fans and almost 3 quarters of a million fans on TV just a few short years ago 2010. We are obviously on a pendulum going the wrong dirction now.. It was only 2 or 3 seasons ago that people were openly questioning the small stadiums being built in the East. Just a few years later and staring almost 10000 empty seats in Winnipeg and we are asking the reverse question now.If it was not for the CFL TV money I would dare to say that the pendulum has swung all the way back to 2000. With the TV deal, Id say that we are more around 2003 when Bob Young and Sand C first came into the league.
The CFL really really blew it with the TV deal. The league easily could have paid their players a decent salary, thus increasing the players work day to 6 hours..Thus players would be insink and not go offside all the time. They could have also easily afforded to create their own video game.

Oh My God!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

If Bungle is your God, you are in bad shape

This says it all. https://youtu.be/aUyh2yaZPno

Best thing to do is just ignore Bungle. He's like that crazy guy standing on a pedestal yelling incoherent nonsense at everyone walking by who doesn't want to hear it.

Agreed.

"Everyone" does NOT agree that the CFL reached it's zenith in the 70's. I, for one, have been watching and attending CFL games since the late 1960's and think the game is looking pretty good at present and also believe the best is yet to come.

[quote="Mr.Bungle"]Everyone agrees that the CFL was at it's Zenith in the 70s. The excitment peaked in the 90s, but finacially the league was a mess. The low point was 96 and then a renaissance began. This could have peaked in 2004 when the CFL recorded huge playoff attendance numbers. With the way TV numbers being calculated changing drasticly, it is really hard to compare TV numbers from then with the other possible peak period. The CFL averaged over 28000 fans and almost 3 quarters of a million fans on TV just a few short years ago 2010. We are obviously on a pendulum going the wrong dirction now.. It was only 2 or 3 seasons ago that people were openly questioning the small stadiums being built in the East. Just a few years later and staring almost 10000 empty seats in Winnipeg and we are asking the reverse question now.If it was not for the CFL TV money I would dare to say that the pendulum has swung all the way back to 2000. With the TV deal, Id say that we are more around 2003 when Bob Young and Sand C first came into the league.
The CFL really really blew it with the TV deal. The league easily could have paid their players a decent salary, thus increasing the players work day to 6 hours..Thus players would be insink and not go offside all the time. They could have also easily afforded to create their own video game.[/quot

Even in the hay day of the 70s, you would still find problems and write the league is folding. The league can never win with guys like you

Is attendance and money all you think about just watch the game not who is in the seats, lots of close finishes, east is playing better games, new QBs to showcase, its a good year for football so far. youre not a GM the comissioneer or owner stop acting like it, it gets boring and predictable.

Whew! Lots of words there, not too sure what many of them mean. Will say this though, this man is right about the league in the 1970s. It was pretty special then. But so were the 1960s. The 1950s were special too, but I only remember them a little.
Point is: Canadian football's been special (and around) since long before me and Mr. Bungle. Guess it's gonna be here a bit longer yet.

If you look just at attendance and population in Southern Ontario you could say that the 1970s WAS the heyday of the CFL.

http://stats.cfldb.ca/league/cfl/1972/attendance/

The 1972 average attendance at CNE Stadium was over 33,000 while in Hamilton they were averaging 32,000
The population within a 1 hour drive to both stadiums was just over 1.5 million.
Attendance has dropped but the population has increased in the region to 6 to 8 million within an hours drive of both stadiums.
You could say that population is not related to CFL attendance.

Many Canadians put down anything that is Canadian because it just can't be good compared with the big, majors American things. Especially in this day and age some would say. For all intents and purposes the CFL shouldn't even exist. But thankfully it does, it's something that just makes Canada that much more Canadian. I actually find it hard to believe Canada can support a pro league like the CFL that isn't hockey.

As I say, I'd prefer the CFL go amateur and the Grey Cup vied for by amateurs.

Classic bungle thread.

Bungle is the most positive negative person I've ever come across in my life. He strikes me as someone who would win the lottery then complain that he didn't get back his original $5.00 that he paid for the ticket. Another good analogy of Bungle would be of someone who murders their parents then crying about how they are now an orphan. It just seems like he is never happy unless he is bitchin' or moanin' about this or that or everything inbetween. :stuck_out_tongue:

Short answer the present day and going upwards and quite a bit in the 90s but not today.

Vintage Bungle thread, we love you Bungle for being our willing target of scorn.

Earl, perhaps in the year 2525.