What Player Personnel Do We Still Need?

We can debate coaching and systems, but I don`t think from a player personnel standpoint we are missing that much to be an elite team.

Jim Popp & Co. are out scouting NFL 90-player training camps and hopefully they can find a few goodies for this season, even though the philosophy has been to scout for next year.

I would like to see another dominant d-lineman, either tackle or end. I dont have full confidence in Cash and Jenkins as yet. When Trestman was explaining Hunts release, he mentioned that Moton Hopkins and Tremaine Johnson had both been pencilled in as the starting defensive tackles before they got hurt. Hopkins with the blood clot and Jenkins with a broken toe plate, whatever that is.

Hopkins`tweets are protected, but he did have a buddy in Winnipeg that weighed in on him awhile ago. Any news?

The other obvious need would be a dominant DB who would be an upgrade on Seth Williams. Willims could then become the nickleback and replace infamous #21. Estelle at his peak would be welcome, but the question is if he has sufficiently recovered from a pretty serious knee injury.

I won`t list kick returner as I am going to assume that Trent Guy was starting to find his rhythm as a CFL returner.

And the good news is we have fairly decent Canadian talent, both starters and backups.

That would be Tremaine Johnson with the broken toe plate.

Moton does not know when he will play again. (As of last week)

I think we need to get Ochierchier off the roster. Anyway if history is an indication. Players brought in late in the season from NFL cuts will likely not dress till next year.

The Impact made a bold move today trading their top goalie for another. Clearly they want a run at the playoffs. Will the als do the same?

In terms of personnel, I don't expect too many changes/additions from here till the end of the season,unless they are many injuries.

As I wrote on many occasions, I don't expect cuts from the NFL to have a major impact on the Team or any CFL Team; most of the cuts that the Als will bring for a tryout will be for next year.

Watching all other Teams, I don't envy too many players from other Teams. I definitely would welcome a player such as Chris Williams of Hamilton,but that is basically it. To me, the Als are just as good as the rest and the next 12 games will be quite interesting.

Richard

Pour ma part, je crois que nous avons besoin d'un plaqueur défensif capable de faire reculer les joueurs de ligne devant lui, d'un demi défensif (sinon deux) capable de couvrir les gros receveurs et d'un receveur très rapide capable de se démarquer dans les tracés intérieurs. Comme dit notre ami, Osaisai a mérité de se faire rebaptiser et Seth Williams, à mon avis, n'est pas encore du calibre de cette ligue. Je me demande parfois si on ne devrait pas faire jouer Townsend à la place de Ochierchier. Au pire, si Hébert est hors-jeu, Brouillette peut tirer son épingle du jeu comme maraudeur, et je ne vois pas tellement comment Townsend serait pire que Moppe-à-eau.

Une statistique emmerdante : Seth Williams a 27 plaqués. C'est beaucoup trop, mais il est quand même mieux que l'énigmatique #21 qui a seulement 12 plaqués, à cause de la quantité de passes complétées de son côté et dont le receveur est plaqué par un autre joueur.

Whyte est assez fiable sur les placements et a poursuivi son amélioration sur les bottés d'envoi et les dégagements. Il n'y a pas d'urgence de ce côté. Je crois que nous verrons plus de simples de Whyte durant le reste de la saison. La raison serait qu'il est parfois moins dangereux sur le pointage de botter le ballon dans le fond de la zone adverse que de laisser les retourneurs adverses courir contre nos schémas de couverture pourris, faire des touchés ou donner une position sur le terrain au-delà du 35. S'il faut être si mauvais dans ce domaine, autant y accumuler des points. C'est con, mais c'est une façon de pallier l'incompétence de ceux qui s'occupent des unités spéciales.

Du côté des receveurs, notre brigade est un peu trop uniforme, et c'est Whitaker qui doit jouer le rôle de la gazelle. On l'a peut-être perdu pour quelques parties à cause de ça. C'est là qu'on regrette Cahoon, qui pouvait faire la gazelle même sans être rapide. Quel joueur!

We needs a PUNTER. We needs anybody with a pulse to replace Osaisai. We needs Deslauriers to start playing like Lavoie!

We need a healthy Mark Estelle on the corner, allowing Seth Williams to be a backup and Osaisai to be released. And we need a legitimate punter. That's pretty much it IMO.

To me,Mark Estelle is done with fotball.-injury- We need depth at DB/CB and at WR,although I don't expect any new faces in 2012,unless injuries occur.

A good punter would definitely help. McKnight an option? I have doubts.

Richard

A good KR is an immediate need; Bo Bowling and Trent Guy are not the solution.

Richard

I would like to see a little more of Guy before I give up on him. We don`t have the greatest blocking or schemes.

I hope not, but the longer the season goes on, the more likely it is that you’re right.

We need depth at DB/CB and at WR,although I don't expect any new faces in 2012,unless injuries occur.
Agreed.

I think Guy can be our returner. He’s got that explosive first step and he’s been doing good things in recent weeks. Unfortunately, our blocking game was so poor against Hamilton that he had no chance to do anything.