What is the ticat plans with sinking economy

With the team losing and fans dropping like flies this last season and have some entertaining games and some absolutely horrible games. Also now that tickets went up the previous season. How will this team cope with the sinking economy lets face it this is a blue collar town and very reliant on the auto sector. out of all CFL teams i think we wil notice this the most being a manufacturing town. What is the teams plans to over come this and get fans to the game. Lets be honest with everyone getting tighter with their spending and coping with job loss. coming out to see a team continue to lose just may not be in the budget. I’m curious to see what ownership etc plans are to keep things going and getting buts in the seats. this yr is defiantly going to be the toughest sell after 4 straight losing seasons and now dealing with a horrible economy and fans who might season this extra as a waste of money and unneccessary do to poor on field product and mistakes from the past. bob you have ur work cut out for you and i wish you the best.

"sinking economy" ???

do you believe that simply because thats what people say on the news? the media always makes mountains out of ant hills. I work for a company that makes giant printers that cost about $140,000 and the demand just started to grow.

do yourself and your peers a favor and don't be a slave to media propaganda. if the cats lose support in 09 it will be because of offering a horrible product for many years. not because people don't have the money.

So the bank of Cananda the Prime Minister the finance minister are all buying this media hype. People losing 1000's of dollars on investments daily weekly monthly. The price of oil the fact noone is buying cars the housing market is on the decline manufacturers are closing doors and the expectations of a loss of 15,000 jobs in the auto sector alone. Credit card companys tightening up companys near bankruptcy yup the economy is thrieving. Even our own owner had to lay off members of one of his companys. Maybe its quite as bleak as the media is putting but we arent exactly thrieving. a lot of well paying jobs are gone in our own city just look what we lost. lets face it with auto and housing markets crashing the steel industry wont exactly be booming here either. People are tightening up spending preparing for the worst and football wont exactly be on the top of their agenda, but to say everything is peachy and the ticats wont suffer and dont need a plan and a good one at that and the economy isnt sinking is crazy. This will be the toughest offseason in the bob young era not just because of on field product because yes the economy isnt peachy like you suggest

Let's just hope that we start to win more and win more fans.

But the economy and pro-sports is a significant issue, I think the league that could be affected the most will be the NHL where some teams like Phoenix and Nashville might be up for sale shortly. The CFL should be fine.

Hi Zen:
While I admit that the media will exaggerate almost everything it reports, I believe they have a very valid point this time. I have many stories I could relate to verify this theory, but I'll relate just one for now.
A good friend of mine retired from Dofasco about a year ago while the markets still showed stability. He invested his profit sharing capitol into mutual funds, mainly; some high risk and most, low risk. He has lost 40% of his original investment thus far, and may need to find work.

This story is very typical, today and there are many more like it. I can't account for Your $140,000 printer sales increasing at this time, but believe me, or better still, look around yourself, and see the real world right now. The doom and gloom that CNN and all of the other major networks are discussing these days, may be exaggerated, but I truly believe these stories to be accurate.

Hamilton is the type of town that will take a financial beating in this kind of economy, and we are.
Whats really scary is that the worst isn't forecast to end for another 6 to 12 months and then it will take us well into 2010 to BEGIN a recovery program.

I think that this economy will definitely have an impact on season ticket sales and on many other things in life that aren't critical to our livelyhoods.

These are the questions that are scary the unknown. The NHL maybe hard hit but I think for them losing a few teams wont hurt them any in fact it may do some good. Here in the CFL we have 8 teams and the loss of one could send this league down the tubes. All the major sports leagues will take a harder hit but will survive just on the fact of pure numbers. How much money is Bob willing to lose in a season before he gives it up because if this team doesnt get off to hot start I can see people saying forget it ill watch it at home or do something else. It's very possible with the downturn in the economy and poor play we could very easily see under 15,000 fans at games. It'll be a tough sell and is this ownership willing to cut prices like most major business in order to get people through the doors and maybe get fans in there and keep coming back for more?

I all Ready renewed..

If you were standing in the beer lines in Montreal that I was standing in this past weekend, you'd never know there was a problem with the economy :rockin:

I've seen lots of beer lines 72er and I can tell you that these guys (IMO) are not Rhodes scholars in terms of the current economy, but rather, they are drowning their sorrows over losing their shirts. :smiley:

PS: Notice I saidI, "seen lots of beer lines" and not , "been in lots of beer lines."

Although, its a pleasent thought. :thup:

I can't - and won't - speak for anyone else but it's business as usual in my household. The CFL and the Tiger-Cats are reasonably priced, quality family entertainment. Salary cap is in place to control costs, and I believe the league and all 8 teams will weather the storm fine.

The sky is not falling. Times are tough, as they have been in the past, and will be again in the future.

Those $140,000 printers are being bought by folks who intend to use them to print their own money. :frowning:

Sorry, but for many people this crisis is real. For many, the pain hasn't been felt yet even though the damage has been done. For example, if you think your RRSPs are worth what they were a year ago, you'll be in for a surprise. If you think your house is worth what it was a year ago, you maybe shocked. If you thought the pension plan you were counting on will pay you a decent pension when the time comes, you may be disppointed. And it goes on. You may be suffering and not even know it---yet.

An Argo-Cat fan

The key is to not lose your job whether you are making $15,000 or $150,000 or anything in between. Difficult to get another one with many places downsizing and restructuring unless you have a skill set that is so much in demand, which usually isn't the case though for most people.

It makes you wonder about the ridiculous costs to attend an NHL game. Its a good thing that Hamilton never got a team.
I know people that have Sens season tickets - good seats 6 rows behind the visitors bench $200each!!
2 Season tickets at 42 home games .........$16800!!
An average seat up high $100. Season tickets $4200, if a couple go $8400. Can you imagine if you want to take a couple of kids.
How many people in Hamilton could afford to go to an NHL game.

Be thankful that CFL is affordable and there are only 9 home games.

I'm here to tell you folks the sinking economy is for real.

I work in the media and just received my lay-off notice after 11 years of service. So much for media exaggeration.

Sooner or later all sports franchises will have to deal with the fact that the average fan will have to decide how best to spend their discretionary income (if they have any to spend). I would imagine that paying the bills, rent and feeding the family will come before attendance at a sporting event.

Any sort of significant increase in ticket costs would be poor business practice in my opinion.

But that probably won't stop teams doing so as they'll need to recover income lost through less advertising, corporate sponsorship etc.

So as usual...it'll be the fans that are asked to carry the freight.

And as usual...I'll be carrying my share...as I plan to renew my season tickets...despite the economy and my current employment situation.

After all...I'll have time on my hands...and I can't think of a better way to spend it than watching my favourite CFL team...in my favourite city...with my favourite fans.

It's definitely for real. But far,far less than what they're dealing with in the States.
Regardless, I think everyone will have to get a bit creative in order to sell tickets.

In Hamilton, we have, what, 14,000 people working for Hamilton Health Sciences? Most I'd be are families. Must be a way to get a lot of those folks on board. I imagine they'll be relatively insulated from the slowdown.

Nice that you are doing well. Here in Ontario, people are losing jobs by the 100's daily. There most definitely will be an impact here and in Toronto.

Zenstate:

Having read through this thread, is reality starting to sink in?

I guess things are harder in Ontario these days but here in Vancouver BC nothing has changed locally with jobs or economy. There is still a thriving job market here. Its so good that there are literally more jobs than people to fill them. The company I work for has headquarters in every major country on earth and they are hiring more people everywhere.

I would guess that with the price of oil falling and staying down that Calgary and Edmonton could be harder hit than other CFL towns. Oil & grain drive their economy and I can't see grain picking up the slack out there. I went through it back in the early '80's when the price of oil dropped to $19/barrel and the entire province almost shut down, most construction projects stopped, houses were given away and the influx of workers turned into a mass exodus. Didn't seem to bother the Flames but the Stamps were hurting.

Here in Taiwan there is still growth but things are starting to slow down.
As I've mentioned on here before about 80% of DRAM chips for computers come from the companies in the city in which I live; along with a large portion of other base computer components. Companies here are shutting down production and cutting back on workforce.

What this means is that the need for DRAM and other computer items is falling significantly, and since almost everything on the market has a computer of one form or another built into it the manufacturing of these products has also fallen as well. Give it about 3 months and the real fallout of these last few months will start to take effect.

I also think Hamilton will take a larger hit than some other cities because of the amount of raw material manufacturing that it has.

I believe Bob will have to open his cheque book a bit more this year. Even if the team manages to be competitive and be in the playoff hunt this season I think you will still see attendance drop off.