What is the Greatest Sports Movie of all Time?????????

.....I really liked Rudy......a true story too BTW.....

True stories are the most interesting movies from my point of view. At the end they normally tell you where and what they are doing today.

The Longest Yard (1974) with Burt Reynolds ( The Adam Sandler version sucks)
Seabiscuit
Slap Shot (1977)
The Natural (1984)
Rollerball (1975)
Rudy
Radio
Fear Strikes Out (The Jimmy Piercal Story)
Rocky
Jerry Maguire
Paper Lion
Hoosiers
Slap Shot 2
The Babe
Brian's Song

Pride of the Yankees

......Golf and Painting....can't wait for the sequel
.....The Three Stooges....in Just for Kicks....a football yarn

.......Road to the Grey Cup......starring Bing and Bob....

hard to top those.... :wink:

its either Longest Yard or slap shot

LONGEST YARD IS HILARIOUS!

Air Bud: Golden Receiver! :lol:

Good one, it just reminded me of another movie…

The Jim Thorpe Story

Good movie.

Basketball: Hoosiers was a fantastic movie…even though I’m not a fan of basketball, I have seen this film a number of times.

Hockey: I haven’t seen many hockey movies, but watched the movie Youngblood when I read on the back of the box that it was about a (fictional) hockey team called the Hamilton Mustangs. But the way they portrayed the city of Hamilton as a hick town really ticked me off. Then they kept referring to “the city”…not to speak of Hamilton, or even Toronto, but Buffalo! Yeah, we here in Hamilton always refer to Buffalo as “the city.” Idiots. And to watch the movie, you would think that all of Canada’s professional hockey players come from the U.S. Right, because we here in Canada are incapable of producing decent hockey players. That was a terrible movie, I would recommend that everyone avoid it. It was years before I would watch a movie with Rob Lowe in it (and to this day I still have never seen another Patrick Swayze movie.)

Baseball: Major League was good…better than the sequel. Bull Durham was another decent baseball movie. For Love of the Game wasn’t bad, but was a bit long…and it may have been Kelly Preston that attracted me to it.

Golf: I never saw Tin Cup, but there’s no way it could possibly be as good as Caddyshack. The first one. Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, Ted Knight were all hilarious. But the best was Bill Murray. Here’s my favourite bit (from memory):
“So I make my way over to Tibet…and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald…striking. We’re on the first tee, and he hauls off…long…right to the foot of a thousand foot crevice…and you know what he says? ‘Gunga galunga…gunga lagunga.’ So we finish the eighteenth, and he’s gonna stiff me. And I say, ‘Hey, Lama, how about a little something, you know, for the effort?’ and he says ‘Oh, there’ll be no money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total consciousness.’ So I got that going for me. Which is nice.”

And the best for last, football: The original Longest Yard may be the best. I didn’t see the remake, because I chose not to see it. (I get so tired of all the remakes these days. Whatever happened to the days when, to make a movie, you had to have an idea?)

Necessary Roughness wasn’t bad, though my affinity for it may have more to do with Kathy Ireland than with the movie itself. :wink:

I watched Rudy on the TigerVision at Ivor Wynne. Before the movie, the REAL Rudy – who is now a motivational speaker – gave a speech. That was something I’ll never forget. He was a guy who won’t be remembered for his football career, but for his heart and determination. The way the whole team stood up for him…sniff…

Any Given Sunday was a great movie. Al Pacino and Cameron Diaz…how can you miss?

Winning isn’t everything: remember, in the original movie, Rocky didn’t win either; but it’s considered one of the best sports films of all time. He won in all the sequels, and they all blew, IMO.

Not to mention that Youngblood also featured a young Keanu Reeves as the French-Canadian goalie. Very high in Unintentional comedy.

Oy Dave, Youngblood is awesome. Its cheesie qualities make it a treasure to watch.

Ottawa_Rough_Riders Status: Offline Posted: Mar 08, 2006 - 01:12 PM

Brian’s Song

Thank You…
it may not focus on the sport but it is a must watch movie.
(the watch The Gofather movie to show Caan rocks)
and was there not CFLers in The Longest Yard orig.?

what was the movie that movie that Keanu played a agent turned sufer? That was a great movie!!!

and there is this funny moment for the rugby version of the Footy Show in Australia where this commentator sits down with him in a talk and this is what whet down.

Commentator: Rugby League has had a lot of problems with drugs

Keanu: alright! (nods)

C: you know, with drugs in the sport, but not with you, you’ve made a lot of money out of SPEED!!!

K: OMG! (intelligible) I did, I did make a lot of money out of SPEED! yeah SPEED! SPEED is good!!!

:lol:

Point Break

God that was such a good movie!

Bell's Beach rocks!!! Been there!

"respect of my elders" :lol:

I didn’t know they made a movie on Jim Thorpe i have to see it. I actually contacted the ioc about getting his metals returned to his family, and they did repond saying that it was tradition to return your metals by the next olympics. They tried to say he was a pro, give me a break. I have him in my top five of best all around athletes.

You guys alerady mentionned a lot of great movies and/or funny movies.

I'm adding this one I thought was really funny:

The Great White Hype (boxing movie with Samuel L. Jackson, Damon Wayans, Jeff Goldblum, Jon Lovitz, Cheech Marin, Jamie Foxx)

great white hype was really funny. In the same vein I actually liked 'Celtic pride' (yes I know Im opening myself up to ridicule here) with Dan Akroyd and Daniel Stern. it got some bad reviews, but Its a pretty funny premise, and rings especially true to anyone who loves their home team more than life itself. The Larry Bird cameo in it is priceless. Maybe I like it cause Im a basketball fan who knows. Ive been trying to come to grips with the fact that I like this movie so much for years actually LOL.

oh right, and Damon Wayans is in this one too. That's the whole reason I started writing this message and I forgot it. I think this is the most times ive edited a msg lol