What is Lancaster Thinking?

The topic sounds more negative than it really is. I was just wondering what you all thought Lancaster meant by "simplified." Do you think he means keeping with the hitch passes? Or do you think he means abandonment of all things hitch pass and simplifying the running game to a bare-bones CFL playbook?

Thoughts?

[url]Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Perhaps he's just thinking about moving the ball forward. That's a simple concept.

lancaster has alienated himself from the team. he is an escape artist and once he realized that the ship had too many holes to bail out from marshall he began his tirade. i by far am not a marshall fan but at least he was a guys guy. nobody even wants to be around lancaster.

Sticking to the “same thing” seems like a very bad idea in that case.

I want to know what he's thinking by telling the entire league what he's up to.

'Simplified' to me means one thing, PREDICTABLE. The more plays you use, have, the less predictable you'll be. The plays you use should be completely different each week.

Can't be any worse than what we already have. The Pat Flemming offence!

Edit:

Also, I would say most teams have their basic plays which they use every game, but tucked away deep in their playbook they have around 4-10 plays a game which are used extremely speratically to throw the defense off.

But if you have too many plays that are not being operated correctly or called when they should be called, what use is this really? The concept of simplifying things at this point is good, doesn't mean you can't add plays but let the execution be excellent on what we run, that should be a priority I think.

newworldorder, the guys are going to have to be around Lancaster for this season anyway so they better get used to it for a bit longer, like it or lump it. They are now performing to be on Desjardin's built team, this is the thought process they should have, and if they don't want to be on his team with his coach and coaching staff, good ridins to them. They are professionals, we may not all like our bosses but you have to go to work and perform, otherwise you are not a professional.

I heard an interview with Arland Bruce yesterday and when asked about Pinball’s simplified playbook as opposed to Austin’s, he basically said they prepare to do fewer things but do them better. It’s not like the plays themselves are made simpler. Just as benches are “shortened” at crucial times, I guess playbooks are too. Less is more is the objective.

An Argo fan

nobody even wants to be around lancaster.
bull

Sometimes I think offensive coordinators want to make out like football is along the lines of an architects plans for a complicated engineering feat when it really is about moving a ball forward 10 yards at a time with 24 guys on a field, guys who are not all Rhodes scholars or that.

Bingo :thup: :thup:

just a ran a one-back, shotgun spread offense, throw the ball deep, and run the ball up the middle, and once in a while run a few screen plays. simple enough, the cats need to open it up and run a variation of urban meyer's shotgun offense.

A simple playbook executed well is always preferable to a complex paybook executed poorly.

Deception is nowhere near as important as execution. A really good offensive team should be able to tell the defense what they’re running (actually, they usually do when they line up) and still get it done.

That is not true at all, a team can easily stuff the run if they know it’s coming, and a db can easily blanket a receiver when they know what route he’s going to run.

My sentiments exactly FootbalYouBet.

Of course you have to have options to spread the field and keep the defense honest but teams at this level watch enough film to have a good idea what a team is likely to run out of a specific formation and in a certain situation. Execution isn’t everything but without it you’ve got nothing.

Professionals with options do not have to work with colleagues they dislike. Goss, for example?

If you listened to LANCASTER he said teams use about 10 - 15 plays in a game . Lancaster wants to find some plays the guys have confidence in and use them and try and get the players all on the same page !!!!

That doesnt mean they cant throw wrinkles at you after they have shown the plays work and the other team will expect them run a certain way .

laughinghard wrote:

Professionals with options do not have to work with colleagues they dislike. Goss, for example?
True enough and players leave teams and move to other teams or other jobs all the time, Goss isn't the first and won't be the last to do so, if this is his personal reasons for leaving.