What is a "Canadian" CFL player?

I have been listening to and watching the Canadian Football League since the late 1940's. It has been great until the last 3 or so years. Can anyone tell me why the Canadian Football League is ashamed to admit there are Canadian born players in the league. Sports reporters do not get it right either as sometimes players are Canadian and at times are Nationals. I believe the word Canadian is acceptable to the legal community so what is the problem with the Canadian Football League. Call those not born in Canada an import or an international but a Canadian is a Canadian. Thank you.

Would like to see the term Canadian remain, but I'm thinking it's because the terms 'American' or 'Canadian' are too stereotypical and many simple thinkers can't get past that and won't think a bit wider in scope. My opinion anyway. Maybe it's a birth certificate thing. Not sure.

Whereas 'International' means from elsewhere and 'National' means from here.

It's the Canadian Football League based in Canada.

Since Canada is a nation, I don't see what is the issue with Canadians being referred to as Nationals.

This goes back to the 1960's when a player launched a lawsuit against the league claiming he was discriminated against due to his nationality. This forced the league to refer to Canadians as "non-imports" and Americans as the traditional "imports".

The league recently and rightfully now refers to Canadians as "Nationals" and Americans as "Internationals" (as Canadian's shouldn't be "non-" anything in their own league.)

They also changed the nationality rules to copy international protocol. Now I believe, just having one parent born in Canada makes their American offspring qualify as Nationals (i.e. Alex Singleton in Calgary.)

The Eastern conference (IRFU/"Big Four") fought long and hard to keep Americans out of Canadian football, unlike in the West. The '47 Argos were the last all-Canadian team to win the Grey Cup.

oops

A problem I see in Canadian society is that there is a certain percentage of Canadians that detest anything being "Canadian" and yet want to see themselves as Canadian in their own minds with their own world view of this. It's weird stuff in Canada now and exactly what Canadian really means. :-\

The '47 Argos were the last all-Canadian team to win the Grey Cup
And yet Xvys I bet a lot of people in Toronto don't want this ever to be known, sadly. Very sadly. For whatever reason(s). Weird

Using the term “Canadian” would actually be incorrect based on the definition in the CBA.

6. The following Players shall be classified as National Players: (a) Canadian citizens at the time of signing the Player's first C.F.L. Standard Player Contract or Practice Roster Agreement; (b) A Player classified as a National (formerly non-import) prior to May 31st, 2014; or (c) A Player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of five years prior to attaining the age of 18 years.
Players included under (b) and (c) are not necessarily Canadian. Josh Bartel, an Australian, is included under (b). And (c) would include many non-Canadians who spent part of their childhood in Canada.

Including (b) and © in the rule is critical in order to avoid legal challenges.

I like the term "National" a heck of a lot more than "non import" ;D

Yeah, "National" and "International" make too much sense to be considered a non-issue.

It's kinda funny. Canada is the American liberal's mecca. But their heads would absolutely explode if we ever tried anything like the "import rule" here in the States.

Given the size of the population of the history of two countries it would be more surprising if Canadians weren't protective of their own and very sensitive to being overwhelmed by U.S. culture. The country formed in no small way because of fears of American hegemony and the desire to retain distinct cultural and political institutions.

I don't care what they call US, I just want more of US in the league.

there is enough ofYOU in the league already :slight_smile:

because you don’t have to be Canadian to qualify as a National. For instance, if you were born in the US, but the family moved to Canada for 5 years, then returned to the US, you would qualify as a National even though you may not have citizenship. Just one example.

There is at least one US-based major league sport with just such a rule, limiting spots for international players in favour of their own domestic players. Did American liberals' head explode over that?

Well they don't tend to be very knowledgeable about sports.

Since I have no idea what you are talking about, there's a pretty good chance that they don't either.

Doesn't MLS have only 8 slots per team available for international players?