What if Marshall Hadn't Been Fired?

It's very simple what happened to Greg Marshall.....can you say Jason Maas.
Once Maas entered the picture as damaged goods and couldn't get the job done, he cost a lot of coaches their jobs....namely PaoPao and Marshall. Maas almost cost Taaffe his job, to boot! We paid heavy to get him but because of injuries, family issues and whatever else, he was a total bust here.
You very well could see Taaffe win his third coach of the year award this year with Printers and Williams at qb. :cowboy:

Some good thoughts expressed here.

Marshall as HC was a "natural" marketing decision, to hire a "local" guy with a success record. that swivelled the heads of the fans.

Greg might have had a personal agenda to get more Cdn kids into the game (or NOT) but I don't think he as given a full budget and or a GM worth paying for. RDL has a personal prejudice for hiring Americans, and his son was not exactly a "gift" to Cdn Football, either.

EASY mistakes for Bob to make.

It gets ait betternow

Blame Lancaster because Marshall hired his buddy Barresi to run the offense.

Got it.

Who hired Joe Poopoo as OC? - any guesses? You think it was the HC who absolutely should make the call there? Never blame Ronnie - he’s totally blameless - brilliant piece or work to re-hire a HC who was 1 & 17 at his last kick at the (Ti)cat.

Excellent point about the Maas influence, easy to forget now but a huge, huge factor in the whole thing without a doubt.

The HC hired his assistants, not the GM. Thats the way it is and thats the way I believe it happened.

If you think Marshall wasn’t happy to get someone in here with CFL experience to run the offense you’re reaching… he knew full well what he was getting into.

I do remember an ownership group that either didn’t sign or traded away pretty much any player they could. I am sure it was great playing for a team when you didn’t even know if you’d get a cheque or not. Seems like positive motivation to me.

To bad Marshall couldn't have started as an assistant coach under a CFL veteran, he probably still be in the CFL.

LOL

Usually one follows the money trail to get a more complete picture of things. It is particularly instructive regarding the 2000-2003 decline. We were this close – >< – to losing the whole kit and caboodle! Working to fill a roster with receivers now beats certain receivership then, for sure!

The uncertainty players played under re their pay is well-documented. The 2003 season was an unmitigated disaster. That stated, that Ticat squad may have been the most competitive doormat in CFL history. It would have been easy in light of all the acrimony and dread to pack it in, but that group played hard.

Funny how the “puppetmaster” rigamarole that Ron is smeared with around here doesn’t quite fit the 2003 reality of a puppet show being a plank short of a total board-up.

For some to imply that Lancaster was the main conduit for that decline or when he was in fact the glue that kept the lifeboat from completely being obliterated is laughable, IMHO.

Ron Lancaster, a Grey Cup winning Hamilton coach, deserves to be on the Tiger-Cat Wall of Honour for THAT REASON ALONE.

Oski Wee Wee,

Hopefully, TCanuck, Oskie Wee Wee’s facts
about why the Ticats hit the rocks in 2003

will give you a better understanding
of Ron’s later years coaching here.

It should be remembered that

Ron brought an immmediate turnaround
in 1998 and his Grey Cup win in 1999.

As to, ‘Who hired Joe Poopoo as OC?’

I assume Greg Marshall was
100% onside with his hiring

whether Ron Lancaster
vouched for him or not.

I have too much respect for people
in leadership roles in sports
to doubt their integrity.

Anyways, Jo poopoo? What’s up with that?

As long as you are into scatological references,

TCanuck, I know you will never get rid
of the conspiracy theory diarrhea

which is muddying up your thought process
and that of many others like yourself,

but try to lose the idea that

Ron Lancaster has been responsible for
EVER TEAM FAILING since 2004 either.

Hope that doesn’t happen. No one from this era deserves to be honoured among the all time greats.

Absolutely, Lancaster didn’t create the Ticat turmoil of the past several years. I think it’s pretty clear now that the financial shortcomings of the previous ownership and, more recently, Mr. Young’s experimentation with PR-driven management, have been at fault. But Lancaster hasn’t exactly overachieved in any of his recent roles - he’s just been a good soldier. Initially achieved - since then just endured.

The wall of fame is diminished if it starts honouring people that stood out mainly for being, for a brief time, the brightest light in an almost pitch black period in team history.

Not at all!I am a fan of Marshall and watched him all through his Mac days and was excited about his ticat days! He made terriable choices in the receiver department that killed us!What about that Maas trade?He “Marshall” was even staying in the same hotel as me at the grey cup this year,Iseen him and said hi! My friends are all over me because of him! I was upset that he did what he did!

Marshall should have never been fired. This was a huge mistake that I believe has had on going consequences....take Taffe for example....he could not coach his team out of a paperbag...he called several absolutely ridiculous plays last season, made bad decisions on gambles etc....yet he is still here? Why is he still here when even the GM said that he was not sure if Taffe would stay on....does this not indicate no confidence in your head coach? Taffe is still here because they are afraid of making the same mistake they did with Marshall...pulling the trigger to fast. My advice....turf Taffe after bringing Marshall back!

:lol:
:lol:

[/quote]
Wow! Thats extreme! I completely and emphatically disagree! This too, is extreme, but I can’t see why we would dump Charlie Taaffe, particularly since he had virtually little to no help coaching last year’s team. If he pulls up zeros again this year, I would reconsider, but in the meantime, I continue to recognize Taaffe as a good coach and he’s got numbers to prove this.

Greg Marshall, on the other hand, may have proven that he’s not ready for prime time, although, he had strikes against him during his tenure as well. I think he would be better off starting in a coordinator’s position, before taking on the head coach’s job.

I think Mr. Young had better instincts than he gives himself credit for.

If he had stuck with Coach Marshall and assistants like Dennis McPhee, Kavis Reed, Paul LaPolice and Mark Murray, we'd now have a seasoned coaching team, loyal veteran players who would be de-facto instructors geared to their program, a record much better than 3-15 and a confidant fanbase who grew with a stable program which was showing steady progress.

Instead we have been doomed to witness constant panicked, desperation band-aid solutions, lack of continuity, loss of player and coach identity to the fanbase and total uncertainty as to what the team game plan really is.

Right now, Coach Marshall would have four years under his belt as a CFL coach and Mr. Young would have been proven to be on the right track from the get-go.....

that's my opinion and I believe it......

That’s just what “chelsey98” said :wink:

Sounds like you’re nostalgic for those old Marshall days. Wonder why?

But seriously, Young essentially repudiated everything you just listed and admitted he should have had more experienced people from the beginining instead of “thinking outside the box”

Well that’s the beauty of being armchair qb’s, everyone is entitled to their beliefs. I for one will remember Marshall as a coach that was in way over his head, with a team lacking in any sense of accountability or self discipline, where we got creamed game after game in the second half because other teams adjusted game plans and we kept doing the same old thing…over and over and over again. Probably a nice guy, but based upon his performance he was either woefully unprepared for the job, an incredibly slow learner, or most likely both…

Well that's the beauty of being armchair qb's, everyone is entitled to their beliefs. I for one will remember Marshall as a coach that was in way over his head, with a team lacking in any sense of accountability or self discipline, where we got creamed game after game in the second half because other teams adjusted game plans and we kept doing the same old thing...over and over and over again
We sure fixed that problem eh...