What if Calvillo had started his career today???

When we look at the haste at which Montreal has gone through quarterbacks the last few years. I went and looked back at the Great Anthony Calvillo's stats and record in his rookie season in 1994. Curious to see how it compares to today's young quarterbacks.

AC was backup and got on the field after starter Len Williams got injured.

154 completions
348 Attempts
44 percent completion percentage
2582 yards
7,4 yards per completion
13 TD
15 INT
64.4 Quarterback rating

His record was 3-13

There is no way a QB with a 44 percent completion percentage and a rating of 64.4 would start 16 games in this era and there lies the biggest problem facing the CFL at the QB position and in particular Montreal. Lack of patience.

Over 1000 yards of his 2500 yards were completed to one receiver:Curtis Mayfield who went on to continue his career with Saskatchewan.

It is very likely that if AC came into the league today, he'd be in and out of the league within one or two seasons.

Agree with what your saying .

That goes for all QB's at different teams and eras as well .

Not just the US QB but our home grown QB.

The high turnover in coaches can cause that as well or ownership problems .

I know the Renegades had QB's that were recruited and never even saw the field who I was waiting for to see and they never even saw the field .

Calvillo era would have ended early if now . Now saying that I think he showed promise for brief moments in Las Vegas and Hamilton and that may have had more staying power as a back up which may have translated further to the current Masoli situation in Hamilton .

Maybe the staying power for Cavillo was he was seen as a capable back up and willing to do the little things like Masoli and then eventually shine .

Not comparing the two in terms of skill just the ability to hang around when others may not be as patient with their own personal situation .

That ability to stick around and not give up on themselves sometimes shines thru with those who manage the roster .

If Anthony Calvillo had started his career today, he would easily be the oldest rookie in the history of the CFL. ;D

He would look at this team and turn around and run right out of town.

I agree with this sentiment.

I can't speak too specifically about the CFL because I've only been a fan for about 10-15 years and only became serious about it about five years ago.

But there have been a number of NFL quarterbacks who struggled for several seasons before finding their groove. Troy Aikman, John Elway, Eli Manning, etc.

Back in the day organizations use to give coach and quarterback several seasons to find their way.

Now, the expectations are immediate success.

I agree with everyone else on this thread. Not only does the QB need time to mature but one has to look at the quality of the team around him.
Didn't see Calvillo much in Vegas but watched him in Hamilton. The line was terrible. It's hard to much when after a three-step dropback you have already have at least one guy grabbing at your arms.
In today's Toronto Sun, Steve Simmons has a quick story about the length of time BLM and Mike Reilly spent in the league before they became starters.

IMO, the league has to look at how they can fit QB development within the SMS. Any ideas are welcome.

1- What if a QB salary didn't count against the cap until he played x amounts of minutes. You could say X number of starts but then some coaches would cheat and bring them in after pulling their starters out.

2- What if year one of their contract didn't count, year two would be a 50 percent hit? You could have a max age limit too.

The league has to find a way to be more patient developing QB's without taking a hit on the quality of the roster they can field.

I'm also on board with the sentiment here. I think Hank makes a great point:

Maybe the staying power for Cavillo was he was seen as a capable back up and willing to do the little things like Masoli and then eventually shine

Why would they do this? The cap is in place for a reason, to ensure player expenses don't get out of hand. To make exceptions would be ludicrous financially.

The goal should be to make the business more streamlined, not more convoluted with cap exemptions or such things as designated players. It's a non-starter.

The mid-1990s was a unique time in the CFL, when suddenly five net new starting QB jobs opened up over the span of a couple of years as new teams were conjured up out of thin air.

In some cases established CFL QBs took up those spots (Ham to Baltimore, Allen to Memphis, Dunigan to Birmingham), which meant that the traditional CFL teams had to replace them with someone.

A couple of the expansion teams went with CFL newcomers at QB (Calvillo in Las Vegas, David Archer and Kerwin Bell in Sacramento) who stuck around the league after the US experiment ended. Others (Mike Johnson and Billy Tolliver in Shreveport) were never heard from again.

The vacuum had to be filled at the Canadian teams, with some backups becoming starters during this time (McManus in BC, Warren Jones in Sask), and a number of journeymen getting extra playing time (Sammy Garza, Rickey Foggie, Reggie Slack) while other veterans got to extend their careers (Kent Austin, Tom Burgess, Mike Kerrigan, Danny Barrett).

In this environment, a lot of guys got playing time who never would have under normal circumstances with a constant number of teams. Calvillo was probably one of those guys.

AC was never handed a starters job in Hamilton. In 1995 he shared time with Steve Taylor (naturally the only Stampeder backup from that era who didn't become a superstar), and in 1996 Dunigan was supposed to be the guy until he got hurt. Calvillo was always a bit of a fallback QB. And while he didn't blow anyone away in his first few years, he showed flashes of brilliance that kept getting him invited back the next season.

It's hard to compare those unique times to today, when very few new QB jobs typically open up. At this moment in 2018, the only starters who weren't already established at that level are in Toronto (due to injury) and Montreal (due to desperation and jersey sales).

I remember then Ti-Cat head coach Ron Lancaster saying that after the team signed McManus for the "98" season that he wasn't interested in Calvillo as his back-up QB . He preferred Cody Ledbetter who he had in Edmonton instead of AC because he honestly didn't think that Calvillo would ever develop beyond 2nd string status and never thought that Calvillo was capable of becoming a number #1 QB. ???

The simple answer is that there were no message boards in 1994 for people to complain about Calvillo's first year. Blame the internet and only the internet.

Now that's some good Quarterback History with names that were monuments in their day.
Nice.

I'll give credit to this site:https://www.statscrew.com/football/l-CFL

Some of those names, to be honest, had completely slipped my mind, if I ever knew them to begin with.

If he started his career today he wouldn't have Tracy Ham to show him how it is done.

Ok.... Well there you go. It's the Neenernet's fault.

Calvillo had the benefit of other teams picking him up after he was left for dead early in his career.

That’s not impossible in today’s CFL. What’s changed is that the Alouettes are no longer the team benefiting from a player developed through hardship at other clubs.