What I hate about the CFL?

I think the CFL is fun and exciting brand of football. It has a long history of great gridiron traditon yet maintains its fan freindliness..The thing I really dont like is the way veterans are handled..I mean there has been so many great players that we have seen on our fields..Yet so many veterans are tossed away like trash..Just to name a few

Travis Moore
Kevin Johnson
Antinio Warren
Troy Davis
Kelvin Anderson
Mike Morrelle(too recent)
Rob Hitchcok(too recent)
Herman Smith
Marc Megna
Joe Montford
Elfrid Payton
Dave Hack
Terry Vaughn
Khari Jones(I know he is broadcasting)
Archie Amerson
Gerald Vauhgn
Kelly Wiltshire

I know there many more but I dont understand how players who have given so much to this league just disappear..There is no fanfare or tribute to any of these players and what they have done..The league is not that big where we cant recognize these players

Opinons anyone?

I have a few opinions on this but I'll put them all aside and just offer up one...

Troy Davis. Lead the CFL in rushing for what... 1 season? maybe 2?

Then what?

What do you want the CFL to do?

Elect every player who's had a good season to the hall of fame? This isn't the NHL.

Joe Montford... he was a great Tiger-Cat and my screen named used to be MontfordSacks, but what do you want the CFL to do for him? Buy him a cake? I just quit my job because I'm going to Basic Training in a week... should they put a plaque up and honor me because I used to work there? No. These guys came, they played, they left. Bye.

Most of these guys played a few years, some better than others and then left or retired. End of story. Every league, in fact, every occupation I can think of from bus drivers to doctors is the same. No one tossed them on the trash heap. They just moved on as everyone eventually does.

If you honored everyone who had a few good years it would make the gesture meaningless when it was actually warranted for a very select few.

An Argo-Cat fan

It happens in all sports. Why keep a vet around if he isn't producing anymore?

Pro sport is a business after all..

I think the main problem in the end is that teams always try to save money (and need to with the salary cap) and vets rarely want to take pay cuts and earn rookie pay. A vet needs to produce when there are younger guys that do as good a job or better for less money.

Its all about money. I'm sure that in most cases its nothing personal against the vet himself.

Well "cfllife", you actually are touching on something that is relevant to all sports.
You obviously share a passion for "This Game" and as such you attach a special interest in the players that stand out as a result of their play!
All good players won't go in the Hall Of Fame but many are recognised by their own teams, such as Hamilton's Wall Of Fame!
One other thing that is appreciated by retired veterans is simply being acknowledged and recognised. It's easy to shake a hand and chat, without having to do it and then go out and play.
Sometimes players are bitter after being released or not picked up...but most realise after a while that it was Their Time!
Alumni get-togethers and "Meet and Greets" are an excellent opportunity to re-connect. :wink:

Part of the issue is that the CFL is so small that one can follow the careers of every good player. It's like the old 6 team NHL. When you have a 30 team league even the great players get lost in the crowd and so it's easier to just let them slide away.

Almost every player on that list either
a)had significantly declining stats
b)was injured
c)was too expensive in the salary cap era

football is a business, you don't keep old employees with declining production and big salaries

I think that in keeping with the focus of this thread, there are far to many players, coaches, builders, etc. in all halls of sports fame.

While I am familiar with everyone in the CFL Hall of fame, I visited Canton, Ohio a few years ago (NFL Hall of Fame)and was amazed at the number of people I'd never heard of.

In order to get into the hallowed halls of sport, I think that the people inducted should be truly special and not, as someone in a previous thread mentioned, some guy who looked good for a season or two.

Baseball is really the hardest to get into, I believe. There are lots of big names left out every year. Interestingly, because baseball is more of a game of individuals, it makes the selection process more interesting (in my opinion) as well.

(Mark) Baseball is really the hardest to get into, I believe. There are lots of big names left out every year. Interestingly, because baseball is more of a game of individuals, it makes the selection process more interesting (in my opinion) as well.
You're quite right, Mark, however, in this day and age, steroids play a major role in so many sports, including baseball. Their use has contaminated sports, in my opinion, which once were relatively clean and legitimate. I use the term, "relatively clean" because, baseball, in particular, has never been completely void of game fixings and other scandals.

Players like Barry Bonds who has just become the home run king in MLB, to me, are undeserving of their distinction. In fact, once it is proven that a player has used performance enhancing drugs, I don’t think they should even be a consideration for the Hall. Even if there is no concrete proof that a player has used drugs to improve his performance, but it remains highly alleged that he did, I think Hall inductions should wait until the truth is known.

It could be argued that Babe Ruth drank a lot, in fact, some say he was a drunk. Booze however will counteract a players performance, not enhance it, so in a way, Ruth played with one hand tied behind his back; not that I think he was smart to do this because if anything, we still don’t know the great player Ruth might have been without the booze.

Then there is the case of Pete Rose, who remains one of the greatest ball players I have ever witnessed. Unfortunately, he was involved in gambling scandals which he eventually admitted to.
To me, he doesn’t belong in the Hall, either. His induction sends the wrong message to children and his career was sullied by his very stupid actions of betting on games he played in.

The Baseball Hall of Fame, again in my opinion, should be for very special people who have legitimately excelled at their sport. This should be the case for Hall of Fame candidates in any sport.

The same course of action should be the “Rule” for Olympic athletes, cyclists in the Tour d’ France, etc. These distinctions should be earned and well deserved, so that when the public enters a truly hallowed hall, they know, they’re looking at the history of someone with absolute integrity who excelled at his/her sport.

I’m fully aware that there may be some arguments against my opinions, especially by today’s younger generation, but nevertheless, they remain my opinions.

The problem in today’s world, would be finding people who meet this criteria.

• That he managed in. :wink:

Oski Wee Wee,

You've never been in a Union have you? lmao
(kidding)

(Oskie wee-wee) rocky123 wrote:

Then there is the case of Pete Rose, who remains one of the greatest ball players I have ever witnessed. Unfortunately, he was involved in gambling scandals which he eventually admitted to.
To me, he doesn't belong in the Hall, either. His induction sends the wrong message to children and his career was sullied by his very stupid actions of betting on games he played in.*

• That he managed in. Wink

Oski Wee Wee,

Correct, Russ. This makes his situation even worse.

the cfl needs to do something about uniform numbers and positions, sometimes it gets too confusing seeing a linebacker or d-lineman wearing a singular digit, it just looks to awkward seeing a 270 lb dude wearing a small number, the cfl needs to limits nubmers under 20 to RBs, QBs, K/P, and WRs, DBs should wear 20-40, and LBs should wear 40-59, it makes the game easier for fans to identify which positions players are playing, it also helps it out when im introducing the cfl to newer fans.

Id also like to see removal of the rouge.

-a weekly documentary of teams from practices, meetings, film sessions and locker room stuff leading up to the game.

-more player features

-cfl video game

-fieldtuf in edmonton

-new stadium in hamilton.

You should take "Kelvin Anderson" Off the list. He wasn't tossed aside. He basically proved everything. He left after gaining 8 consecutive 1000 yard seasons. Breaking the CFL Record, also won 2 Grey Cups rings, he left on his own terms, He wasn't tossed aside.

he also had the best grill in the cfl, that grill was tight, its too bad you can get grills like that that in Canada.