what happened to freedom of speech

The forbidden chant, as pointed out on another thread, Was a retaliation towards Arg fan,s who would come to I.W .S. and yell that annoying, irritating,obnoxious,cheer? they defame the cfl with, Hamilton youth rose up and told them if they wanted to yell that , they would be told! :stuck_out_tongue: - you cant get rid of the forbidden chant until you ban the acheer, modration(censorship) or not. p.s are a.s. buttons still available?

Caretaker ,did you ever cough-up the grand for an alternate cheer? I suspect not[after all it has only been three years] or is this a recognition that you cannot stop the inevitable.

I completely agree with this. The moderators also have freedom of speech and moreover, one of them owns the site and the team.

I can’t believe that anyone here would have the gall to contradict Bob Young, without whom, there would be no team. He has done his utmost to make a success of the Hamilton Tiger cats, and I know I speak for most of the fans when I say, “Thank You Mr. Young.”

Please stop nit picking! Life is too short for this nonsense.

Oh, and by the way, I HATE THE TERM, “ARGOS SUCK!”

In terms of Caretaker’s subtle reference to some spelling mistakes by the original poster, I’m with him here too. Some of you folks need to use a dictionary or thesarsus when making entries here.

I realize that my comment here might not be subtle, but I too am exercising my right to free speech. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Please tell me you did that on purpose.

Me too.

“Freedom of Speech” is actually an American term and it is not absolute. Slander, libel, hate speech restrict absolute freedom. The concept is more designed to defend a citizen’s right to criticize the government (something that wasn’t common pre-American Revolution).

If you sat down in a restaurant and started using foul language or made inappropriate remarks, the restaurant manager could ask you to leave the premises and no “Freedom of Speech” trump card would be accepted.

There are generally accepted rules of conduct in a civilized society and if you can’t stay within them then get out.

Look, you have every right to be displeased with the product, but don't attack Bob. He's trying his best. I am convinced of it. I wish I was fortunate enough to have an employer like Bob. Rest assured, Bob will deliver in due time because he has good people under him and a great fan base. As for Maas, it's not the Caretaker who is in charge of it. That's Charlie's call and as well, it should be. He's the Head Coach. Even a bellyacher like me is clear on this much. Bob, you have my full support, trust, and appreciation. Now if you really want to help, drop banana peels outside the tunnel enterance when the Argos come out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ergo...any FREEDOMS only extend so far.

You have a freedom of movement in this country as well, but you can't live in anyone's house...without their permission.

The list goes on.

That all depends. You can if you were a spider or a centipede. But now I’m knit picking. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure was a lot more fun when Ballard was around. Only the real fans, all 9000 of us showed up, but we could say what we wanted and we even won the cup.

did someone bleep me. are you kidding me. am i a police academy movie on citytv.

on an unrelated note here is a trailer for my new dvd, note ticat flag in background and argos suck sticker on guitar.
i think i bought the sticker from the roar store.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DypGixy4dcU]www.youtube.com/watch?v=DypGixy4dcU[/url]

Was there ever a new chant that took hold? The new suggestions inhaled more heavily than the original slogan.

Ticats8

They tried a new chant at home games last year;
"We want a Touchdown" but it didn't work very well!

As far as I know, Mr. Young has never said that we couldn't freely debate the chant and its place in Ticat history/culture - as long as we don't type the second word of the chant itself while debating it. He's even participated in the debate on a number of occassions, which encourages or, at the very least, prolongs, the debate.

At the stadium - haven't heard of a single case of anyone being shown the door simply for using the chant, or for wearing chart-insprired clothing or paraphernalia. Chant if you want but be nice to one another, seems to be the practical application of the "war on chanting".

Does anyone really feel the chant has been handled in a particularly heavy-handed manner? I kind of see it as a running joke, a little diversion for when we're tired of crucifying our players and coaches.

Well, apparently, it’s still not working. :roll: :lol:

Mr. Young is without question the best owner this team has ever had. He has invested millions of his dollars into a team and city that he obviously loves. Freedom of speech has its limitations and speaking for myself I appreciate the deletion of a ridiculous cheer in my opinion from a website owned by a man who disapproves of it as well.

Anyone who has "invested" their 100's and possibly "1000's" of dollars over the years has every right to express a contrary opinion but unless you own the sight you do not have the right to dictate to the owner what can and cannot be said. A little perspective on the fact that there would be no team at all without Bob Young is also in order.

I have always thought and continue to think that the cheer is in poor taste and I am glad Bob rejects it. It stopped me from having to come up with some type of reasonable answer for my 9 year old when he asked the question why would people say such a nonsensical cheer.

Hey, if you want to say it go ahead but if you want Bob or others myself included to think it is great, forget it.

A Ticat fan for 39 years.

Rev. G.A. Clark

If I may point out something:

The Original Poster, Donny, was not complaining about the worbidden chant. He had a poll removed that contained immature and offensive language.

We have debated the validity of the Caretaker's position on the forbidden chant in the past and will most likely have a few more go-rounds. However, this thread was started on another basis.

Revclark there's more foul language from the drunks at a home game than Bob even has enough bandwidth to contain on his website. If you would take issue with the language on this forum being offensive to children, why on earth would you subject their ears to it at the stadium?

Freedom of speech is nothing more than a cliche. There is no true freedom of speech nor should there be. Society limits speech in many areas--racist remarks, public obscenities, hate language, etc. and few would argue with that. However, in the case of 'the chant', while Mr. Young and/or his mods can delete written instances of it, there's not much they can do about it being yelled anonymously from the stands. It simply isn't practical to have staff run up into the stands looking for the culprits especially if it's taken up by 100s of fans. So it isn't ok to express 'the chant' here but it is acceptable at IWS which again is pretty pragmatic of them. Mr Young owns this site so he can govern it as he pleases. He doesn't own IWS; also, the purchase of a ticket affords the fan certain privileges as well (like booing players but not hurling racist slurs at them). I have to say, even as an Argo fan, I don't find 'the chant' offensive. Juvenile yes but not offensive. However, if I was bringing my 8 year old nephew to the game, I might think otherwise. To be honest though, I haven't heard anything at IWS that a 8 year old kid wouldn't have heard in the school yard, or Youtube, or on tv, or.... Unfortunately, we're all subjected to a lot of stuff that we'd probably prefer not to be. It just seems to be all around us.

Anyway, the answer is if you don't like the way this site is moderated, you'll have to go elsewhere to express your opinions. If you can abide by the owner's rules, everything's cool.

An Argo-Cat fan

why cant you just tell your kid that the argos suck. i mean their gonna find out sooner or later.

You should have been bleeped, drawn and quartered!
What crap! Do yourself and the country and don’t attempt “Canadian Idol.” They’ll likely have you exiled to Elba Island.