WHAT DOES PAYTON SIGNING MEAN FOR EDWARDS

WITH ALL THE HYPE SURROUNDED BY THE PAYTON SIGNING, COULD THIS MEAN THE END FOR EDWARDS. EDWARDS HAS BEEN PRODUCTIVE, SO IS IT FAIR TO SAY HIS TIME IN MONTREAL IS OVER.

First of all
Stop yelling.

Signing is one thing. Making the team is another. People said the same thing last year about Calvillo when they signed what his name....He was one of the first cuts in training camp!

What's his name, in that case, equals Quincy Carter.

To me it all depends on what kind of runner Payton is, and that I do not know.

If he's a straight ahead power runner, then maybe he could replace Edwards if that's the direction the team wants to go. If, on the other hand, he's a quick back with shifty moves, then he complements Edwards and we could have them both in the backfield together.

Payton's hype is due to his father's history in the NFL. It would be unusual if he is near the quality of his father.As others have noticed the Als do need some speed in the backfield. With another back providing the speed then Edwards will be secure in his role as a power runner. Whatever, some imagination in the offensive playcalling will be the key to the Als fortune offensively this year. This , however must be made available through a speedy addition to the Als backfield. Was it not two years ago that Matthews gave all leadership to Calvillo and tagged the team as a mainly passing offense? A real shift in Montreals offensive focus this year is needed.Matthews gave Calvillo the go ahead to run a predominent passing game and the result was an offense that was predictable and inconsistent. One week the offense was great then the next week it was horrid.

Payton is not a shifty runner, nor is he particularly speedy (a la Charles Roberts). He's a power back with a little more cut-back ability than Edwards at this point in his career, though Edwards was a much better player prior to his injury than Payton will ever be.

Payton will push Edwards in camp if he comes in ready to play and not heavy, but I can't see him unseating the veteran, not when you factor in blocking and pass receiving.

edwards seems pissed at popp right now.

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=newser&func=display&nid=15371]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=news ... &nid=15371[/url]
"I don't understand," Edwards said. "I've never missed a practice or a down, and I'm at my best in the fourth quarter. It's like he's setting me back and discrediting me. Too old? That didn't have to be said. It's like he's discrediting my ability. I feel disrespected right now."

"I think he's just trying to find a way, any excuse, to release me," Edwards told The Gazette yesterday from his home in Tennville, Ga. "He keeps emphasizing the fact I'm 32, but I was 32 last year in the Eastern final. It sounds like he's building his case."

I agree completely.

I can feel for Edwards, all he has done with the Als over the years is produce and this is the way Popp deals with it.
It's not that he is old at 32.
I would love to have him for our Argos.

Popp is really showing why he shouldn't have hired himself to be head coach with these kinds of comments. Scouting / signing talent and motivating / coaching them are two different skill sets.

I think Popp is the dummies coach/GM ever coach the game. Trying to push edwards out is crazy to someone that not showed nfl anything and will not show the cfl the nothing.POPP made some dum moves by tradeing Thyron Anderson and cuting T.Edwards it was't the WR it was the O-LINE and A.CALVILLO.The o-line and QB OR TO OLD POPP need to work on those spots .

........and someone needs to take a course in remedial grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence construction.

Hey, I took a class like that once, and look where it's gotten me!

So now you can teach him, Jack!

ro1313 is right. Signing him and making the team are two different things. (Remember the Ricky WIlliams fan fare?????) Competetion is good. If it pushes Edwards to be better, then thats a good thing. If Payton turns into an All-star, then thats a good thing too!