What do you think is wrong with TSN and could be changed?

If we had a forum like this to air our opinions on TSN's CFL coverage, good and bad do you think they would listen and make changes? Just one thread alone on the subject. An intelligent person will take intelligent criticism as an opportunity to learn and grow not just as something negative. I know I have a few things I'd like to see them do differently.

2 Likes
  1. Fire Suitor.

2. More stats.

3. More professional in game crew (tells us penalties, notices clock, officials errors)

4. Lose Suitor.

5. At least 3 pbp crews so the same people don't get 3-4 games per week.

6. Playoff style broadcast for Friday Night Football, make it the marquee game of the week. Scheduling should mirror this. (Hour pregame with Duthie, player stories, Skycam etc)

7. Get Rid of Suitor.

8. Live Mic up players/coaches like the USFL. Really enjoy this.

9. Switch up the panel. 4 games a week is too much for the same people.

10. Not sure if I should mention this one, but Suitor needs to go.

10 Likes

Poor Suits, no love his way. :frowning_face:

1 Like

No more in game interviews/ sidebars with some random celebrity or musical act while the play is going on.

Would love to see them pick up broadcast rights for USports football. Know I’m dreaming here but it’s a seamless fit with CFL. Have a weekly half hour show with game highlights and feature at least one top 20 list type player each week. Broadcast a USports rivalry game and CFL game doubleheader every Saturday in the fall.

To Crash’s point, did I mention lose Suitor? Seriously, he’s given a lot to the league and TSN but at some point I think guys start to mail it in. I’d say the same with Forde. Have to wonder why they can’t attract new blood and if they just aren’t offering up enough money for guys to come on the panel and do colour on the games.

Since Schultz and Climie left they haven’t brought in anyone except for maybe Barker. You can’t tell me there aren’t enough egotistical ex- players who wouldn’t love to join the broadcasts and hear themselves talk. Nik Lewis might shake things up. What about ex- Canadian players. Guys doing podcasts on various social media. Make it a mission to bring in and develop different personalities every year, similar to what the league has finally started doing with coaching and management.

6 Likes

I strongly agree with what you said in #1 , #4 , #7 and #10 .

2 Likes

No, cause he's terrible.
As said above he's given alot to the league and potentially should go into the hall of fame as a broadcaster, but it's time to move on. It feels like a game of Madden with the same 7 lines on repeat.

2 Likes

I see a theme developing with your list, but I just can’t put my finger on it :thinking:

4 Likes

Anybody see the new CFL add playing on TSN ? Pretty spiffy....

Marshall Ferguson said that during this off-season, TSN directed the people involved in the broadcast to view selected football games previously televised on other networks and from other leagues. Employees were told to note the positive and negative of the presentation. If there were good ideas that could be used in future broadcasts, TSN would try to tweak and improve on whatever was done elsewhere. Honestly, I do not believe the general audience would even notice what probably would be minor changes to the broadcast.

1 Like
  1. No, reduce or try on panel. Keep him away from country star guests. 2. Sure 3. Sure 4. No 5. Sure 6. Yes. Dump thursday, put concert series on friday night where it should have been tried from day one. 7. No 8. Some, i would rather them increase number of mics around field to get field noise. Work with crew to let them no they dont have to fill in every second with repeated info. 9. Sure 10. No 11. Put 1-2 games back on sunday.
1 Like

Keep Dunnigan in the Studio only where he excels

Put Rod Smith back as Studio Host and not in the Booth (tremendous Panel Host)

More play by play for Marshall Ferguson (he’ll get better)

Maybe try Matt Scianitti on the Panel. For that matter rotate some of the Sideline folks into the Panel on a weekly basis to see if anyone shines

Give Justin Dunk a shot on the Sidelines

Find something for Mike Hogan

7 Likes

Hire Jim Hugeson. It was a shame that he left Rogers/CBC abruptly. let him do west coast games

3 Likes

I wonder how many of them listed "No Suitor" as one of the positives that TSN could adopt.
:laughing:

I'd like to see broadcasts use more short ad spots between plays and reduce the number of (or eliminate completey) TV timeouts that break the flow of the game and give viewers time to switch channels. It would also reduce some of the pressure on the pbp and colour guys to fill up dead time with chatter. We'd likely see far fewer complaints about guys like Suitor and Black if we greatly reduced the amount of time they have to talk for.

1 Like

Jim Hughson never broadcasted the CFL as I recalled.

Was a pretty good baseball broadcaster for TSN along with the NHL on TSN back in the late 1980s.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with TSN from what I can see.

Here are my thoughts/comments on your points and some of my own thoughts:

1. Fire Suitor. - Agreed
  2. More stats. - Better graphics (maybe try to get sponsors to sponsor specific stats)
  3. More professional in game crew (tells us penalties, notices clock, officials errors) - how about an "official" providing an assessment on a review
  4. Lose Suitor. - Agreed
  5. At least 3 pbp crews so the same people don't get 3-4 games per week. - This would be good so things don't get stale.
  6. Playoff style broadcast for Friday Night Football, make it the marquee game of the week. Scheduling should mirror this. (Hour pregame with Duthie, player stories, Skycam etc) - how about the goal line cam and the first down cam that they use in NCAA and also NFL broadcasts
  7. Get Rid of Suitor. - Agreed
  8. Live Mic up players/coaches like the USFL. Really enjoy this. - I thought they had "mic'd games" a couple years ago. Jason Maas didn't like that.
  9. Switch up the panel. 4 games a week is too much for the same people. - How about keep the same panel, it does change, and do more at game or outside portions. Use a small field mock up like Fox.
  10. Not sure if I should mention this one, but Suitor needs to go. - Agreed.

How about some innovation in the broadcasts. They had the ref cam but its gone. The skycam should be standard for every game, better graphics for sure, and also the goal line/first down cam. But try some innovation.

3 Likes

From John Hodge:

A source indicated to 3DownNation that the CFL on TSN will feature a roster that is virtually unchanged from last season. Rod Smith, Dustin Nielsen, Marshall Ferguson, and Farhan Lalji will perform play-by-play duties, while Glen Suitor, Duane Forde, and (Matt) Dunigan will serve as game analysts.

The panel will consist of Kate Beirness, Milt Stegall, Dunigan, and (Davis) Sanchez, though there will also be special guest appearances at points throughout the season. Jim Barker, who served on the panel in 2021, is no longer with TSN as he is now working as a senior advisor with the Toronto Argonauts.

1 Like

No more interviews during gameplay would be nice.

8 Likes

Learning that the commentators can just shut up and let play happen without them yacking constantly.

Turn up the on field and stadium sounds (run a delay). That and the colour guy doesn't need to dissect every play as nauseum. "great athletic play" is enough sometimes. We are watching football, not listening to commentators.

Drones for coverage too. Lots of angles and overhead views you can't get otherwise.

Dump the fake bokeh (photography where the foreground is in focus and the background is out of focus) camera and effects. The frame rate conversion is awful and makes me motion sick.....

6 Likes

Just mailing it in I see.