What can we as fans do to help the CFL

I don't ever want to see the CFL fade out and die. It has been my go to sport all my life. What can we possibly do as simple fans to help? Forget about shopping at the team web sites, costs more to ship than what it's worth. How about a Go Fund Me page instead? I'd toss a hundred bucks. Maybe be able to set up trust fund with the proceeds< I don't know but we've got to help if we can.
There has to be something we can do.

an easy step.

don't request your money back if you have been paying into a season ticket scheme.

of course that's different if the league was to fold...but it won't come down to that.

1 Like

pray and pray and pray

1 Like

I think the whole league, as a whole needs to develope a contingency fund, Where every team puts in an amount of money, every year, and it must be mandatory. Plus any business or private fan can contribute to. Then have a reputable investment co. Take care of it , with some big corporate donations. It might become a savour for the league in the future ?

1 Like

Give ideas ,not doom and gloom.

1 Like

find people new to Canada and invite them to games with you at your expense.

4 Likes

Good suggestion. I had planned on taking one of my Korean students to a Redblacks game this season. Oh well, maybe next year.

Last year, I bought a couple of Argos STs and donated them to Kids Up Front, a charity that helps disadvantaged kids get out to sporting events. You don't have to buy STs for these kids; single games are accepted (but minimum two tickets). It might be worthwhile for some of us here to pool resources so people can donate as little as $5 to help introduce these kids to the league--Kids Up Front operates in several (maybe all?) CFL cities.

Send off emails to MPs, MPPs/MLAs, aldermen, etc. to express how important we think Canadian football is and how we think they can do more to support it. There might not be much of an appetite to spend taxpayer money on the CFL itself (which I think is understandable), but government support for amateur Canadian football could help bolster the sport's standing in Canadian society in general, which should help the CFL down the road.

1 Like

I admire your enthusiasm buy we are talking about politicians who only offer lip service as in denying the league a loan.

1 Like

That's why we need to emphasize government help at the amateur level. I don't blame politicians for not wanting to funnel taxpayer dollars to professional sports. But growing the amateur game will help solidify the pro game too.

1 Like

I did this once. So much fun. I remember at one point everyone in the stadium was on there feet yelling and screening and clapping, I looked down at her and she looked like a deer caught in the headlights, stunned. She didn't have a clue what just happened and the look on her face was priceless.

1 Like

This was meant for footballyou bets post on inviting new people, not Ed's doom and gloom,

1 Like

I'm not sure the fate of the league in totally in the hands of the fans... someone will have to step up, other than the government(s). We can buy the swag, buy tickets if and when the league resumes play, but I'm not optimistic about the league viability.

We'll have something for you folks who are looking to support the league - can't say more yet, but more details this or next week.

2 Likes

I'm thinking, they will offer some type of "shares" in the CFL, by the tone of the email we got as RedBlacks fans yesterday.

I would like to take a business trip up to GTA Ontario next summer but then ramble on out West for such a program!

If that's the case, put me on the top of the list to get some.

I'd support something like that, too.

I’m leaving my 2020 season tickets payment with the club as a credit. Not a lot of money, but at least it is funds they have now and don’t have to repay. Of course, it is also money they will not get next year, so maybe a meaningless gesture?

1 Like

Best thing to do is demand changes to it's economic model so we don't have the negativity of one of the franchises on the brink .

When they come back they have a model that is efficient so a team cannot go under with a few bad years on the field .

2 Likes

Looking forward to what this might be. Even though my finances going forward are unknown (i work in aviation) i still want to help the CFL.

facepalm longest offseason ever

1 Like