What About A Gay TiCat?

With Jason Collins being the first activate player to openly come out to say that he is gay …

… I have to ask … If a former or current TiCat player announced his sexual orientation preference as being gay … Would you think differently of them?

If you had their jersey would you continue to wear it?

If it was one of the “All-Time-TiCats” that were announced this past season … Would that change your mind?

Would you cheer for a gay player? Politely applaud? Sit on your hands? Openly Boo?

Is he the same player that he was to you before you knew he was gay?

I’m very interested in the answers here. More specifically, I’m interested in if people’s views regarding homosexuality & sports, and homosexuality in society in general.

I find It interesting. So please contribute freely.

Don't care.

Changes nothing for me.

Agreed.

Thank-you. Appreciate the feedback.

Next question ... Would you openly support them publically & their awareness campaign? Would you support them in it?

Sure, why not?

I’m all for inclusion and tolerance.

Excellent to hear CK & GcG!

Hopefully we can get some others?

One of my all time favourite Alouette receiver is Gay. It never bothered me any. I think it would take a lot of courage for an player to do that.

I think the idea is to inspire some who feel they need to live their life in a "closet" that they don't have to. A football player stating their homosexuality is a powerful statement and as you point out does nothing for them, so I see it as altruistic.

As long as it doesn't effect their performance on the field I wouldn't care about their preferences, sexual or otherwise. As for supporting them in an awareness campaign I probably would, a chance to get up close with the players is always fun. I've learned from experience that gay people can be a lot of fun to party with. :smiley:

FenderGuy69 wrote: With Jason Collins being the first activate player to openly come out to say that he is gay ...

... I have to ask ... If a former or current TiCat player announced his sexual orientation preference as being gay ... Would you think differently of them?

nope.
If you had their jersey would you continue to wear it?
yep. as proudly as before the revelation.
If it was one of the "All-Time-TiCats" that were announced this past season ... Would that change your mind?
nope.
Would you cheer for a gay player? Politely applaud? Sit on your hands? Openly Boo?
cheer as always.
Is he the same player that he was to you before you knew he was gay?
of course. sexual orientation does not the man make.
I'm very interested in the answers here. More specifically, I'm interested in if people's views regarding homosexuality & sports, and homosexuality in society in general.
IMO, those who adopt a position of intolerance and bigotry towards homosexuality, whether in sport, politics or society in general, are doing a great disservice to themselves and the community as a whole.

To harbor such aversions to our fellow man/woman, especially without provocation, is a vicious cycle that only breeds similar hatred and irrational fear within our children and future generations.

Hopefully players such as Jason Collins will help dispel some of these unfounded sentiments and bring about more inclusion as we are all in this together.

ALL of us.

Makes me happy to see the answers I am seeing here, but sadly that is not the norm. That is why so few athletes actually come out during their careers. I couldn't care less about who any of these guys date (male or female) or anyone else for that matter. I wish more people would realize that it isn't any of their business. I am proud of Jason for making the hard decision he did and any Ticat or CFLer at all who came out would have my full support.

A persons sexual preference should never matter to anyone but those who desire to have sex with them. If you're not sexually attracted to someone then why should it ever matter what their sexual preference is?

I am a straight male with a longtime girlfriend. Her sexual preference is the only one that matters to me on earth.

That kind of logic has no place in this world :wink:

I don't think fans are really the big issue here. The issue is other players. Sports is still an area of incredible homophobia and misogyny. What's the biggest insult the coach can think of? Comparing you to a girl or to someone who's gay. Many football players come from small towns where casual homophobia is a way of life. The challenge is to get those players to reevaluate their beliefs. By and large, fans IMO aren't going to care if a player is gay, and even if a handful of homophobes are offended, they don't constitute the work environment of the gay player himself. Imagine going to work every day and being surrounded by a bunch of people who hate/fear you based on an aspect of your identity over which you have no control.

I couldn't care less what people do behind closed doors and never understood the purpose of having to declare it publicly.

The only question I have is what happens if and when this player gets released. Does the team think twice before releasing the player due to the possible lawsuits of discrimation and he was cut for that reason and not the on field play. Do teams think twice about signing a free agent player who has came out due to the PR nightmare that could follow should things not work out?

No question a Male locker room brings added complexity as most workplace guys don't have their bits exposed. That is why I see it as an act of courage because a player who admits his homosexuality is sure to have to deal with "some" fear or judging from "some"...

It is definitely an act of courage, especially when you think about the level of ignorance and stupidity in most professional athletes, who are far from being the sharpest tools in the drawer on average...

Does the team think twice about signing people who might say they are cut because of their race or religious beliefs? If not then there is no reason why they should think twice about signing someone who is openly gay. As for having to declare it publicly, we see players with their wives/girlfriends all the time. Unfortunately, gay players aren't afforded the same luxury due to the ignorance and hatred of many people. Should these men/women have to hide their significant other because they are of the same sex? I don't think they should. So declaring it publicly happens because it has been a closely guarded secret.

I know there is still a big stigma attached to homosexual athletes and that many teammates have had issues with the idea of a gay teammate (see that idiot NFL kid prior to the superbowl for further reference), but I was pleasantly surprised to see the support Jason got from many athletes.

There was an NFL player several years ago, (I think it was Fred Bilitnicoff) (spelling?) Fred, if I recall correctly, was
a great split end who went on record as saying he was gay. I had no problem with this admission then or now.

Gays, lesbians, trans genders, etc. have a place in this world along with the rest of us.

http://cfl-scrapbook.no-ip.org/images/BiletFre.JPG

I remember Fred Biletnikoff's last season of pro ball with the Alouettes (Can't find any mention of him being gay)