What a Stupid Play

Second down time running out on the first half and the Cats on Regina's 15 yard line in the red zone less than 10 seconds remaining and they throw a pass instead of taking three points and a chip shot field goal by Medlock who has been kicking great all day and hitting 50 yard kicks, Austin what the heck are you and your coaches thinking??

Take the points add to the Score, take a 16 to 3 lead into half time instead of 13 - 3 it could back to haunt you later at the end, still only half time but you leave the door open to a possible comeback, that's crazy!!

According to TSN, there were 14 seconds left. Even with the clock running, they should have been able to get the pass off with time left for another play to get the field goal. Not sure why the play took so long.

That said, why bother with the play? They were well within field goal range. Why not just letting time expire on the field goal kick?

Definitely a head scratcher.

As Coach Austin said on the Fifth Quarter. Way to focus on the negative.

Hey Bigcat: Give these guys a break....They pulled off a very convincing win today.

Notice the time of the post. The game was definitely not over when he made it. At the time, it was a valid comment at the time, and still is.

Seriously!!! Every coach in the CFL (except maybe Tom Higgins :roll: ) with 6 or more seconds on the clock would take the chance with a shot at the end zone. Problem was, the play was slow developing and the time ran out. Poor excecution, but not a bad coaching decision.

Hey Rocky123 Get a Life, I made the comments at half time and I think it was a valid point!!

It was indeed convincing. But they also left 12 or more points on the field in this game. The same thing happened in the Labour Day game. Sure we won but that type of failed execution against more savvy teams has cost us many close games. No lead is safe in the CFL as has been demonstrated in games the last couple of weeks, so the Cats need to learn how to put their foot on the throats of opponents and not give them any chance of a comeback.

But not nearly as valid now as it was then.

Let's enjoy this total team victory.

Enjoy it for sure! So many positives from this game, Cats are looking awesome. Love that d today especially. :thup:

More slow to the the snap off than "slow developing". There was 14 seconds before the play but down to 7 by the time they snapped it. Need to work on the hurry-up cadence.

Zach should have threw the ball away the play before, instead he was sacked, and this caused the clock to run on the next play, where he took too long to snap the ball. Then he ends up throwing a short dump nowhere near the sideline with no hope of reaching the end zone. Throwing it away here would have again been a better option.

This was series of small mistakes from our QB that added up to one big one. It was all on Zach, IMO. I can only assume he had a brain cramp and either didn't realize the clock was running or assumed there was more time left without checking.

BTW, anybody else notice that the play clocks were broken at one point? They most definately were not working on Saskatchewan's drive before this one, where they kicked their 3 points. Not sure if they were working on our drive. Not sure how they normally compensate for this, but I've wondered if this could have caused some confusion?

PS. otherwise a great game from Collaros.

I noticed the refs had a bit of a huddle after a commercial break, then talked to the Sask offence. Figured it was the play clocks so I looked and did see they stayed at 00.
Either the Umpire or Back Judge puts up their hands to give the QB a count in that situation.

But when you're running hurry-up, the play clock shouldn't matter. Get the play called before the ref blows the time in, and get the ball snapped.

I think the problem on the last play with 14 seconds left was that the Cats made a personnel change. The ref blows the time in as soon as the oncoming players approach the huddle, so some time is wasted getting the play call to everyone after that point.

Looked to me that Zach went through about three reads before dumping the ball off. Not sure if time had expired before he threw the pass, but he should have tbrown it OOB to stop the clock. In the post-game interview, Austin took the blame for that call, sounded like he was going for a TD attempt. He said he would "be more conservative next time" I'm assuming he means kicking a FG?

It was indeed convincing. But they also left 12 or more points on the field in this game. The same thing happened in the Labour Day game. Sure we won but that type of failed execution against more savvy teams has cost us many close games. No lead is safe in the CFL as has been demonstrated in games the last couple of weeks, so the Cats need to learn how to put their foot on the throats of opponents and not give them any chance of a comeback.
[/quote]
Great point Krisium, I agree 100%

Great point Krisium, I agree 100%
[/quote]
So they left 3 on the field to end the half. They also stole 6 points with 50 and 51 yard FGs. In other games Austin has punted in that field position.

You could say that every FG made is 3 points lost on a TD, every PAT is 1 pt lost on a 2-pt convert. By that math, they left 10 + 3 + 8 (2 FG, 3 PAT, hit goal post) = 21 points on the field. HORRIBLE I say!!! They should have won 49-3!!!

Sometimes we get carried away. We see a long field goal hit a goal post and we think we’ve left 3 points on the board, but really, no team can execute 100%. It takes no more of a mistake to miss a field goal than it does to miss a block at mid-field that could have led to a first down. In theory, every drive you don’t score, you’ve left 7 points on the board by failing to execute.

This one though was pretty inexcusable. Tip ball interceptions in the red-zone are gonna happen. Just watching the clock run out, however, should never happen.

I have said it before and I will probably say it again: we REALLY need a "sarcasm" emoticon...

I would have liked to see a shot at the end zone, and with 1 or 2 seconds left if not complete for a td. then kick field goal.

there were other ops to go for the end zone as well and on 2nd and 1 why not go for a long bomb???? easy 1st down on 3d and 1 if long pass doesn't connect????