What a Mickey Mouse League 2023 Playoffs

Man what a Mickey Mouse League
Awarding home playoff positions based solely on geographical locations
I am sure fans will tune out en masse come playoff time

Jacksonville Jaguars with an 8-8 record are hosting the LA Chargers 10-6
Tampa Bay with an 8-8 record are hosting Dallas Cowboys 12-4

Their playoff systems are broken!*
The poor western teams from LA & Dallas are being unfairly put on the road against eastern teams! (and both are from Florida hmm being watched by Canadian ex-pats who have invaded the US!)

Yeah it sounds as ridiculous to bash the NFL as certain posters complaing how Montreal hosted this year doesn't it?

*even worse... imagine if both teams lost next week and hosted with 8-9 records... both have already clinched via tie breaker rules

1 Like

how should it be different?

Yeah, that's messed up.

Here's an article from 2009 with some suggestions on fixing it.

Without going into great detail about Kerry’s article, I think everyone who follows the NFL will agree with the fact that when a team has to play a road playoff game with a 12-4 record, while an 8-8 team hosts one, you have a serious problem.

And one from 2010:

And a couple of more recent ones:

2 Likes

I think the pros of having all division winners in the playoffs as present divisions are, out weigh the cons of doing it different.

As some of those articles suggest, re-organizing the divisions so that there are more teams in each would help fix the problem.

2 Likes

Sad thing is it used to be even worse. Go back and look at the 80s
Dallas Cowboys played in NFC East while Atlanta Falcons played in NFC West & Tampa played in NFC Central lol someone failed geography as there are no team relocations
AFC was just as bad
Big realignment + expansion was supposed to fix all

Weirdly it seems like extending season has made it worse (as good teams feast on poor teams)

1 Like

It was restructured in 2021

hypocrisy!

??

I think 2002 was the big bust year no? (switch to 4 divisions per conference)
What changed last year?

*edit to add
Whatever changed this is the worst post season in decades so change did not work the way it was intended tho

Even though my initial post was being a tad sarcastic to certain west fans fuming the Argos & Als hosted playoffs this year and how our system is broken

2 Likes

I don't follow it closely enough know.

I think the way they are geographically made up is best.

I think they could amalgamate: Have two 8-team divisions per conference instead of four 4-team ones.

Or do a proper re-alignment thusly:

Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Denver
Arizona
Dallas
Houston

Kansas City
Minnesota
Green Bay
Chicago
Indianapolis
Detroit
Cleveland
Cincinnati

Buffalo
New York G
New York J
New England
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Washington

Tennessee
Carolina
Atlanta
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Jacksonville
Miami

2 Likes

how many playoff teams?

I think your forgot 1 team

D'oh, I forgot that there are now two LA teams.

For the playoff format, I could go with either 16 or 12 teams.
With 16, the top 4 of each division make it, and play 1v4, 2v3.
With 12, each division winner gets a bye and then 2v3 with winner to face 1.

Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles Rams
Los Angeles Chargers
Las Vegas
Denver
Arizona
Kansas City

Minnesota
Green Bay
Chicago
Indianapolis
Detroit
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Tennessee

Buffalo
New York G
New York J
New England
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Washington

Carolina
Atlanta
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Jacksonville
Miami
Houston
Dallas

2 Likes

I like 16. Works well for NHL I think

Be interesting if you could show after this weekend how the div standings would be. Too much task for me to do these days

hahahahaha

nice passive aggressive attempt at mocking those of us who want CFL division realignment. only problem is your attempt ironically shows that the NFL needs realignment too and most of us who think the CFL needs fixing would likely feel the same way about the current NFL configuration.

4 Likes

what a joke. nice try tho.

Not at all....It shows that this happens in every league and only the CFL has fans that complain about it

This shows that NFL fans accept the fact that this is going to happen and don't cry when they don't get their way

Some CFL fans think they deserve everything and want the rules changed to hand them what they want

1 Like

You know this how?