What a difference one year makes!

My goodness, how things are shaping up in the Eastern Division. A three way tie for 1st place in total points and all three teams with a respectable number of wins compared to this time last year.

It's great to see Ottawa turn things around from last year. A total team/coaching effort!

It will be very interesting to see if there is going to be a crossover this year. I was thinking there might be an east to west crossover with Montreal coming out west. However, if the Lions win 4 of their remaining 5 games and Montreal loses just one game Montreal cannot crossover. It's possible that one of the 3 teams sharing 1st place in the east could crossover since the best the Lions can get are 20 points on the season. That is assuming they win all of their remaining games.

I haven't worked out all of the possibilities since a lot can change over the next couple of weeks but that Eastern Division may go down to the wire to determine 1st and 2nd place.

Great to see how things are shaping up in the CFL! :thup:

Agreed, it's nice to see how the East for a change is the heavyweight division.
Up until Zach was still around in the Hammer and hopefully still if Mathews ever steps up, an argument could have been made how all three teams could conceivably win the GC.

Yes, Agreed a three way tie for first in the East between Hamilton, Ottawa and Toronto and Montreal still in the race to grab the final playoff spot in the west.

GO CATS GO!!!

"It's possible that one of the 3 teams sharing 1st place in the east could crossover since the best the Lions can get are 20 points on the season. That is assuming they win all of their remaining games."

Sorry, that's impossible. Need Montreal to step up.

Do you mean impossible or improbable mathematically?

The Lions could end up with only 16 points. The most Winnipeg can get is 16 points. Let's say Montreal goes nuts and wins all of its remaining games. Possible? Probable? If Ottawa wins only one of their 4 remaining games they end up with 18 points. This would qualify them for the crossover if they end up in 4th place in the east. Can they end up in 4th place with 18 points?

Well, they don't play Montreal anymore. And both Toronto and Hamilton just have to win 2 more games or a win and a tie to end up with 19 points. This would put Montreal out on top with 20 points and Hamilton and Toronto with 20 or 19 points.

Maybe my calculations are wrong?

If BC wins out, then an eastern team would need more than 20 points to crossover, no team in the east has reached 20 points yet and it would be impossible for the 4th place team in the east to have more than 20 points.

Yes, IF the Lions win their remaining 5 games that is true.

The crossover is dead for this year. Especially if BC beats Winnipeg this weekend. It's good for the league just to have had the conversation. For all the talk being east to west and not the other way around.

What I find interesting is how much the league looks like the reverse of the so-called western dominance when they were crossing over. Last season was an anomoly. Most times the west crossed over it wasn't like last year where the entire division was weak, but just the 3rd and 4th place team. First year of the crossover, 1997, the west crossed to the east, however the two best teams in the league came from the east (Toronto and Montreal). Mostly that was the case when there was a crossover, the east had 2 really good teams and 2 really bad teams. Much like this year with the top 2 teams in the league in the west yet the bottom 3 are bottom of the league.

Toronto owns Ottawa which owns Montreal which (so far) owns Hamilton which owns Toronto.

The Canadian Black and Blue division, baby! (with thanks to Chris Berman and whomever he may have stolen it from). :rockin:

And to top it off in a strange twist... it's still to be determined who owns what between Ottawa and Hamilton and who owns what between Toronto and Montreal. Almost 3/4 of the way through the schedule and these teams have yet to meet each other yet.
Strange, very strange indeed.......Should make for a very exciting and unpredictable finish in the "wild" East this season.
It's definitely looking like it will be going down to the wire to see exactly who finishes where this season,it's been a long,long time since I can remember this happening in the East Division unlike the West where it seemed like it would happen on a yearly basis .

Ottawa the most underrated team of 2015 is the most overrated team of 2014. Rules designed to make expansion team competitive eventually succeeded. Unfortunate for fans of other teams who prefer a weak opponent for easy points.

It's too bad that last year went the way it did because I really liked the schedule set up with divisional games the last three weeks of the season.

I think the way that the East got ate up by the West before Labour Day last year caused them to avoid that schedule set up for this season.

That's an excellent point.

Toronto's schedule won't be as screwed up next year at long last, but otherwise all they have to do in my view is overhaul or modify some of the interpretations of rules like pass interference and illegal contact as well as overhaul the reviews by the Command Centre that are laughably inconsistent even when it comes down to rulings that a call stands due to lack of irrefutable evidence to overturn. :thdn:

Mind you I am okay with the system of the Command Centre of call confirmed (evidence is at hand to confirm the call), call stands (lack of irrefutable evidence), or call is overtuned (the evidence irrefutably shows that the wrong call was made). :thup:

I'm okay with the right to jam a receiver within five yards by the defence so long as the ball is NOT in the air and actually had no issue with the prior rule anyway, but c'mon the rest of it as we have seen play out sucks. :thdn: :thdn: :thdn: