Wetenhalls, sell the team!

OOOHHHHH!!! Johnny’s wish might finally come true!

Wonder if Larry Smith or Serge Savard is involved?

Matthieu Proulx?
[ltr]@matthieuproulx[/ltr]

1/2 Dossier Alouettes: Éric Lapointe est clairement un nom à retenir. Ancien joueur, homme d’affaire, bon réseau. Il a approché l’équipe il y a deux ans. Un groupe qui incluait notamment Louis Lemay (Lemay architecture) et d’autres hommes d’affaires québécois.
8:37 AM - 13 Mar 2019

2/2 Un autre nom à retenir: Louis Morissette @ZeMorissette . Amateur de sport et de football, il serait un atout de taille dans le groupe de Lapointe pour faire rayonner l’équipe et bonifier l’apport divertissement de l’organisation
8:42 AM - 13 Mar 2019

Interesting!

New Stadium?

If ever the team is sold, I do hope that it will be to a group that has “les reins solides”. So far, not too impressed by the names mentioned; mind you,there could be persons with “deep pockets” -will be extremely needed- under these names but we will see.

Would be more confident if names such as Saputo,Molsons and Desmarais were mentioned.

Richard

Second that .

i saw Didier’s report on RDS. There definitely is something afoot about the future owners, and it appears as if the Wettenhalls may well sell the team.

That, in and of itself, is not a panacea. The team needs football-savvy owners who have a passion for the game and for the Als in particular; someone like the Bergers. Having a “Quebecois” connection might satisfy certain fans, until things start going south, that is.

So, whoever the new owners may be, I hope they’re the right people who will aggressively go after the coaches, players, and support staff who will give us the best chance of putting a winning team on the field and restoring some of the former glory we had.

Some rumours suggest that Boulay or Lapointe may be involved … whether they are involved in either of these, I’ll speculate on two possible “owners”:

• some rich friend(s) of Danny Maciocia; or
  • Montreal Canadiens

Team Maciocia brings an obvious immediate change of direction as he would be at least President if not GM or GM/HC.

Canadiens bring financial stability and at least an administrative change as all the non-football operations could be absorbed by the Habs organization.

I’m sure any potential owner/ownership group will be properly vetted by the CFL to ensure that the proper finances are in place.

En 2016, Maciocia avait fait une conférence de presse pour annoncé qu’il avait été passé en entrevue par les Alouettes pour le poste de président, qu’il avait refusé. Il donnait l’image d’un bébé qui pleurait de ne pas avoir son jouet, le poste de DG. Si Maciocia entre dans le décor d’une quelconque manière, ce serait pour être DG minimum (avec un président faible qui n’aura pas les couilles de le limoger s’il fait trop de conneries).

Geoff Molson me rassurerait davantage puisqu’il a l’argent nécessaire pour endurer des saisons difficiles, mais il serait primordial qu’il ne s’ingère pas et qu’il nomme un président fort.

I have only heard of two of theThe 7 Richest Self-Made Billionaires In Montreallisted in this blog post … not saying it is accurate but pointing out that there are “deep pockets” individuals we have never heard of … also not saying any are interested in the Als … but when Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group was founded to go after the Rouge et Noir franchise only Jeff Hunt had a high public image (Owner of the Ottawa 67s OHL team), and he was likely the least wealthy of the group.

The names I have seen areÉricLapointe and Etienne Boulay … but they are just the “Warren Cromartie” of those alleged ownership groups … the “public face” who forms the money group … not the money itself.

I agree … not a fan of Maciocia but he is the type of guy to whom “money men” might attach themselves … but to play Devil’s Advocate (hard as that is for me with him), his alleged refusal of president may have had to do with the terms and conditions imposed by the Wettenhals.

I don’t see Molson by himself … but he is the “public face” of the Canadiens ownership group and it would make sense for them to buy the Als from the standpoint of having the off-field management/administration infrastructure to run that side of the football team … perhaps cross-promoted with the Habs, the Rocket and/or Evenko.

Called it…

They could have sold for fifteen million dollars 10 years ago. Now they will be lucky to get five million. They are going to try and play hard to get but that’s what this team is worth. Whoever buys it will lose money for 2 to 5 years and that will be factored in the price.

While he was trying to sell he was trying to scoop the GC… These guys are a piece of work.

He won’t but right now his and his brother’s inheritance is melting like a driveway in Spring.

When you mismanage a business whatever it is, you will lose money. He made some and he lost some, now it is time to sell and disappear.

Eric has been playing in high circles since College. He’s connected.

Really, that low?
Selling of pro teams happens and hopefully for the good.
My question is for how much?
When will the value of an average CFL team, and not the money making machine like the Riders or possibly the Esks, increase to let’s say $25M?

They are going to lose 5 million this year at least and probably another 5 million the year after that. So that’s 15 million and a big gamble. Because if they can’t get out of the cellar after six or seven years they will go extinct and rightly so.

I agree … they are not selling when the price is high … and whoever buys will take account of the entire situation … one advantage for Habs is that they could undoubtedly save some current admin costs by using their own personnel for the most part … plus the “hangers-on” salaries disappear.

The variable in setting the sale price is whether the new owners assume the existing debts or get the team “debt-free” … the former is obviously much lower, as it all goes into the Wettenhals bank account … the latter has to include any accounts (excluding their own loses) the Wettenhals have to pay off before (as of) the sale.

It’d be huge for the CFL ifAndré Desmarais, Guy Laliberté, and the Mierins family were to get involved, but I think they’re all in with the trying to get the Sens and Lebreton right now.

I think the Impact and Alouettes need to be under one umbrella for long term viability, so I’m really interested to see what happens here.