West Not All That Dominant

It’s a little misleading to look at the standings, or at the head-to-head games, and say that the West is the dominant division.
Consider that Ottawa, first place in the East, has a record that would be good enough for second in the West, behind only Calgary. Second-place Hamilton is 4-5 despite the fact that they have had far and away the most difficult schedule so far this season, having played only one game against a team who currently hold a losing record. Two of the Western teams with better records – Edmonton and Winnipeg – are the two teams who have had the easiest schedules so far, having played most of their games against teams who currently hold losing records.
In head-to-head games, the West is 16-9. Sounds fairly convincing, right? Well, when you consider that Calgary is 5-0 against the East, what you see is that the rest of the West is 11-9 against the East. That’s practically even.
So what we see when we really look at it is that Calgary is the dominant team in the league. At 8-1, that’s no surprise. But the rest of the league is fairly evenly split. The West only appears dominant because that is the division that has Calgary in it.
Just sayin’.

Excellent analysis sir
You are right, with the exception of Calgary, everyone else is swimming in the same pool.

“Second-place Hamilton is 4-5 despite the fact that they have had far and away the most difficult schedule so far this season, having played only one game against a team who currently hold a losing record. .”

???
Far and away the most difficult schedule?
The Argonauts have played 2 games against teams who currently hold a losing record. Only one more than the Tiger-cats.
(Although the Tabbies have definitely played better in all of their games than the Boatmen - and haven’t lost to the Alouettes! >:()

The west is still better by a fairly large margin. 2nd to 4th place teams in the east will all finish with a worse record than the 3rd and possibly even the fourth best team in the west.

TheLastWord: Actually, you don’t know that. But you’re missing my point entirely. Those western teams are only 3rd and 4th because Calgary is in their division. Take Calgary out of the equation, and those teams are 2nd and 3rd…so no real surprise that they’d be equal to or better than the 2nd and 3rd place team in the East. It’s Calgary that’s dominant, not the West as a whole.

And IceTheKicker, my “far and away” point wasn’t comparing Hamilton’s schedule to Toronto’s. It was pointing out that the Western teams that have better records than Hamilton (and Toronto as well) have had much easier schedules. Edmonton has played 8 games against teams who currently have losing records, and Winnipeg has played 7. And of the 4 games these two teams played against Hamilton, they lost 3. Saskatchewan and Calgary have played roughly half their games against losing teams.

By the end of the season, things will more or less even out. But right now there is a huge skew in the Western standings based on the teams they have played.

I don’t see opposing teams’ record as an accurate measuring stick to determine which division has the better teams.

Currently, the record for inter-divisional games is west 16 wins - east 9 wins.

How can one argue that the west isn’t the better division?

And if you remove Calgary, with their five wins against the east, from the equation?

Basically, what we have is Calgary, and two four-team divisions with similar records.

Yup, your (and Big Dave’s) point occurred to me just before I got back to this thread.
Valid point.
One dominant team in the league, which happens to be in the west, and then relative parity between the divisions after that.