We're not American for crying out loud

When i was in the army LOL i had it drilled into me to say LT the Canadian way they drilled it so much that i even have to think when I am talking about an American rank. But this being said my only complaint is that the ticats only honored those who were killed from this area I think all who wear the canadian flag on there shoulder should all be given the same respect and admiration as the soldiers who fell before and after them regardless of where they were born or served.

I served in the 70's and 80's (when we all wore green, remember?) and there was very little public acknowledgment or support of the CF in those days. Glad the service is now getting the respect it deserves. So let's not fuss about how the rank is pronounced, but instead admire the person that holds the rank.

Leslie Stewart can do no wrong.

Whatever dude.

So what you’re saying with regard to my lack of ignorance is that the military IS well funded and ARE well equipped contrary to what I posted earlier.
And THAT’S where MY ignorance lays?

Please help me understand my ignorance sigpig.

Not that I really give a flying _____ but who said anything about any specific government?
Honestly

Welcome to the "foe" list GeoffW. Since I guess you don't have any close friends that were KILLED in action, I guess that gives you the right to lambaste our military. Do yourself a favour and grow the heck up. It must be very tiring to be carrying around all that anger...

Did you even bother to read my post above?
Let me help you.

"
look… the poke was never intended to be directed at those who have/had served this country. Nor was it meant to insult or disgrace those who have fallen trying to either defend or fight for what they(gov) think is right.
NEVER."
Anything else you need help understanding?

Sigpig: Well said sir. We are eye to eye, toe to toe on this one. :thup:

Anyone know why its pronounced like that?? Seems odd....hate to side with the yanks, but they might have us on this one.

Lew-ten-ant sounds much better.

I'm just shaking my head at some of the comments here.

My friend's brother in law was killed with 5 others in Afghanistan awhile ago and while I never knew him anything close to insensitivity riles me. I can't imagine what it is like for Sigpig if he has had friends and colleagues who have paid the ultimate price.

So when will it be OK to joke about the military? When the highway of heroes is just a stretch of the 401 again and when there are no more ramp ceremonies.

Popguns and rowboats? The military has catching up to do but at least DOD has made an effort to catch up. No more paper thin Iltis jeeps they were replaced by Mercedes G-Wagons awhile ago. The M113 troop carrying box was replaced by the LAV long time ago - made in London by GM who also supplies the US Marines. The Nyalas have been added which are much more impervious to land mines and IEDs. The list of casualties would be much longer without some of the re-equipping that has gone on.

Sorry I guess some things just aren't joke worthy yet...some of you keep apologizing

actually.....

i could have swore that i heard them say "lef-ten-nant" in the first interview and was rather impressed. Not sure if it was lesley or some other girl doing an interview, but there was definitely someone that knew what they were talking about.

I will be honest, I did not know the rank was pronounced this way. I can also say, that a majority of Canadians are in the same boat. Its not a lack of "knowledge", "research", or to much ignorance. In Canada we are simply not taught this in schools, and we are also overwhelmed by American media. Unless we have family or friends in the service, than the chances of us knowing the Correct pronunciation of a rank, is slim to non.

I have so much respect for the men and women who fight for this great country, and who fight for the freedom of women, men and children of countries who need help. But in the end, both pronunciations mean the same thing. No we are not American, but they are our brothers and sisters in arms. Now for the respect of all who fight for the freedom of the people of this earth, we salute you!

On a positive note ...

I was impressed by the tribute itself. I know that myself and most of the section I was in were standing for the entire half time presentation. I thought that Lt. Col. McKee represented the troops well and most of the people present displayed their appreciation appropriately.

Blame our pronounciation on the British

I like it very much that there are certain words that
we don’t pronounce the way Americans pronounce them.

Most Americans assume that I am America,until
I pronounce a word in the original British way

then, they become aware I am not a America
and some of them realize I am Canadian.

Which is a good thing because a conversation
about the fact I am a Canadian usually starts.

and I can proudly present my Canadian view of things.

I doubt that guy even cared how it was pronounced...

I wonder if it says something about our school system if we don't know what the "proper" Canadian pronounciations are? Is it the same as knowing that 1 + 1 equals 2?
The fact is we are Americanized in some aspects in our lives and perhaps pronouciations fall somewhat in that category?

Careful . Don’t you dare say our military don’t care.

Wow people are sensitive. Calm down for heavens sake.

hee hee hee :slight_smile:

You ain't nothing.
Read the entire thread.

cheers everyone :smiley: