Well this is interesting!

On the second to last play of the second quarter when Fantuz(I think) caught the ball on the 2 time has run out and it was ruled no catch, out of bounds SSK challanged, won and 2 seconds was put on the clock and SSK kicked a field goal

The replay rules state

http://www.cfl.ca/page/game_instant_replay
Time will not be put back onto the game clock as a result of a successful challenge. On the last play of a half, if time runs out during a play that is subsequently reviewed, the half is over, regardless of the result of the review.
Aint that interesting?

Nice find but are you surprised ?

This continues our theme of being hosed by timekeeping issues this season. :lol:

Technically speaking though time didn't run out during the course of the play. There were 2 seconds left when the player stepped out of bounds. The officials can request the command centre check to see how much time was left regardless of whether there was a challenge or not.

Can you imagine if they had let the next play go and the Riders had scored a touchdown? Then, have it called back because someone had 'paged' the ref in order to discuss the clock? Now that would have been robbery! :wink:

You only know that because of the replay!

but the time was added because of the replay

The fact remains though that the play ends when the player steps out of bounds so time did not run out during the play. Time ran out after the play was over.

The fact remains that you dont know what you are talking about......
The clock stops when when the ref signals out of bounds or no catch. Yes there was 2 seconds left on the clock but as the rules state, even if you win the challenge, no time will be added

Let's ask Tom :slight_smile:

You can clearly hear Suiter say "There is no time left on the clock!"
And he is looking at the game clock!
Case closed

Hello, Als and Lions at B.C. Place. I'm pretty sure everyone got the reference, but I'll acknowledge it.

What we learned from that game is that it doesn't matter how badly the officials screw up -- it's OK as long as they didn't mean to.

And of course Suiter's always right. Are you sure you aren't a closet Riders fan? :wink: :lol:

The riders cant count, but Im sure Suiter can read!

Of course he was right!
Why/how can he be wrong?

You guys are misinterpreting the rule. Blue Blood attempted (futilely, apparently) to explain this. The rule states that time will not be put back on the clock if time expires during the play. That's not what happened on this play. The Sask player caught the ball and stepped out of bounds with 2 seconds remaining. When the player steps out of bounds, the play is over. The 2 seconds never should've runoff.

The rulebook also states that timing issues can be addressed in conjuction with reviewable plays, so if the last 2 seconds shouldn't have runoff, then the officials were within their right to put that time back on the clock.

Instant replay can be used for timing, downs and distance only in conjunction with a reviewable play.
Finally, thinking that Chris Cuthbert can't be wrong is just foolishness. The last time I checked, he is human, and therefore, he can be wrong. It's entirely possible that he looked at the clock after it failed to stop, and all time was runoff.

And just one quick note: You guys are aware that you won the game, aren't you? I know this is the Montreal board, and therefore you guys can discuss whatever you... it just looks a little petty, complaining about a trivial call when the Alouettes get to hoist the Cup, and the Roughriders get to clean out their lockers.

AS I pointed out, the play is over when the ref signals it over, not when the time keeper sees the player run out of bounds.
As Suiter pointed out, when the ref signaled out of bound....there was no time on the clock! As the rules state, even if a challenge is won time will not be placed back on the clock!

Instant replay can be used for timing, downs and distance only in conjunction with a reviewable play.
No it doesn't, it clearly states [b]that time cannot be put back on the clock, if the time has run out, the half is over[/b]

I am quite sure that both Cuthbert and Suiter are capable of reading a digital clock. Again, time is stopped when the refs signals it to be stopped! No the nano second that the timer sees a foot outofbounds

That is the bottom line isn't it?

It doesn't? I suggest you read the rulebook. It does in fact state that.

Does it or does it not say that time cannot be put back on the clock?

That is the issue here

Time will not be put back onto the game clock as a result of a successful challenge. On the last play of a half, if time runs out during a play that is subsequently reviewed, the half is over, regardless of the result of the review.
Time had run out......and time was put back on the clock as a result of a succeddfull challenge!

That is twice when the refs/command centre showed they dont know the rules.

Once in BC when they Reviewed the clock which is not reviewable, and again on Sunday when they added time to the clock

Chief do us a favour go order yourself another Baconator, better yet order two...Unless you are Tom Higgins or an authority on CFL rules.

HIggens?
Isnt he the one who claimed that whisltes were blown, only to have the comish admit that they were not?

The 1.5 to 1.99999 seconds that elapsed between the receiver putting his foot down and the ref blowing the whistle is human factor. There was no time left because the ref blew the whistle when the player landed out of bounds rather then when the left foot came down. I agree there was no time left. Yes there was two seconds when the foot came down but time elapsed between that and the whistle in effect ending the half.