Weekly Predictor: Going in on the Lions

After a strong start to the season, a 2-2 week has diminished my confidence a little bit. Credit goes to the BC Lions for shaking off a short week and some mistakes and taking over again to move to 3-0 on the season.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/07/07/weekly-predictor-going-in-on-the-lions/

I'm seeing the Lions favourited this week over the Bombers on different lists. Yes, BC with Rourke has been stellar. And yes, the Bombers haven't looked as invincible this season as the last couple of years. But I'm wary of picking the Lions, esp. without Lucky and Burnham. I'm a Lions fan but I feel a bit of dread seeing them as favourites against arguably the league's best team. If the Bombers come out swinging, and if its defense solves Rourke, we could see the Lions falter, perhaps even in a big way. I'm hoping not but underdog status is always a better motivator than being favourite. Let's hope the Lions are motivated and not relaxing on all the hype and praise.

1 Like

Sooner or later the Lions will lose one & Winnipeg has to be considered the team to do it. 4-0 vs 3-0, winner gets the #1 in the power rankings. It's great to see my Lions excelling after the last 2 years, but can they really be this good? This game is going to tell us a lot about both teams.

This is as big a test for the Bombers as it is for Rourke & the Lions. Bombers are 4-0 but haven't shown great things on offense. The D can't win every game for them and they will need to push things on offense. Not just 1 - 5 yard passes. If Winnipeg is truly a contender to 3-peat this week will be huge.

3 Likes

This is the game that we're expected to win in order to show that we can 3-peat?

Does anybody really think so? With only four days rest (plus one day stuck in the airport travelling to BC) our tired banged up Bombers are expected to go on vacation directly after the game. Sun, sand and barbecue awaits. Rest you weary travellers.

Two weeks later on July 22nd an entirely DIFFERENT kind of monster will descend upon Edmonton and take its frustrations out on the Elks.

1 Like

I never said they had to win, but if BC blows the doors off...

1 Like

A blow out is in the cards. Once fatigue sets in the Lions will score at will. Our only chance of winning lies with our offence's ability to stay on the field and keep our defense on the sidelines. It doesn't look good. All is lost.

(we're going to take the Lions by surprise and win anyway) :partying_face: :beer: :pizza:

1 Like

Calgary is rested and had some time to study why and how the late starts. Dickenson is great at analyzing their weak areas and encouraging improvement. Edmonton really can't suddenly improve that much with a change in QB can they? Plus they have a short week. The Elk "W" only came because Hamilton and Evans blew a tire.
Ottawa looks like a contender but really can't find the finish line in time to get the "W". Sask have been pretty good on "D" but Fajardo isn't the QB to take the Riders to the big game. Close but no cigar! So Ottawa against the Rider's D is their downfall.
The Bombers have been capitalizing on a lot of good luck to grab their wins. This is the 1st Western Division Opponent they have faced this season. Their confidence is too great with a 4-0 record so I think BC and our Canadian QB will show that Lucky Bombers are not as good as their record seems to indicate.

You are absolutely right Stampederfan. We are terrible. Don't let anyone persuade you to think otherwise. Oh, and don't forget to pick the Bombers to lose in the CFL/GCC every week please. I need to move up in the standings. Thanks a bunch!

3 Likes

Sooner or later the Bombers have to lose…. It might as well be the Lions that do it…

1 Like

Well I just hope that all of the same bombers fans that came in here to spit on how shit of a team the riders were after pretty much the exact same situation in their first game against Montreal (two back to back road games with one day at home) have a big helping of crow ready when it happens to the Bombers. Do I think this is a fair situation to put any team into? Absolutely not and whoever put together this schedule this year needs to be high fived....in the face...with a chair.

1 Like

I keep saying this and posts like these are 100% proof that Stamps fans don't care what their team actually does on the field, but only care what everyone thinks about their team. If they sense that everyone doesn't THINK the stamps are the greatest team ever (or heaven forbid someone criticizes the great and holy BM) its instant "well your team sucks and the Stamps are amazing". Its got real "my truck is jacked up super high and NO I'M NOT TRYING TO COMPENSATE" energy to it.

Oh and before anyone says it I 100% am usually the first to bring up any issues for teams I cheer for (Riders and Cats tyvm) as any real fan should be able to take the blinders off.
Also I now and forever will call him Bo Mitchell and abbreviate it to BM...seems more appropriate

2 Likes

I actually don’t recall seeing Bomber fans mocking Saskatchewan at all, other than making an observation or two that they got their asses kicked in one game, which was true and also what some Saskatchewan fans were saying. Bomber fans usually just stick to tractor and watermelon jokes.

I repeat my view that the season won’t be won or lost at this stage. Still too many games to play and injuries and poor scheduling to endure. I generally find that the true view of the strengths of the respective contenders don’t start to come into focus until after Labour Day.

1 Like

oh 100% after labour day is when the real season begins, especially since you see most offenses really have an identity by that point. And I still hold by my claim that there are way more cousins married here in MB than Sask...or how else do you make sense of 4 different surnames comprising 80% of the population :laughing:

too many factors in the Lions favor this week. playing at home and the Bombers a little beat up on a short week. EVERYBODY in the west will lose at some point this season. unfortunately I think this will be Bombers week to drop one.

1 Like

Yeah the smart money is on the Lions and for Winnipeg not to cover the spread. Don't think its gonna be a close one I'm gonna say BC 28 WPG 16.

Exactly what I have been saying.

And no one will win or lose the Grey Cup this week.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that was the case in Saskatchewan.

1 Like

Also I've been to weddings in both provinces....I don't know why wearing your "fancy camo" is a thing here (in MB) :thinking:

In Manitoba they don’t allow you to drive a tractor to a wedding so it takes much less of your time to get there and return home.