Week one thoughts

Good point. I’ll admit that I wondered if last years run was real or not

They’ll be a force soon enough.

1 Like

And their offence was supposed to be their strength and I still think it will be. Offence and special teams (ignoring kicking) were their weakness last week. Their defence, patched together as it is was their strength and probably outplayed your defence until the flea flicker and the resulting swoon from being on the field too much. You guys couldn’t run the ball at all. Your defence of course also played well but there was a lot of self foot shooting by the Bomber offence that your offence didn’t do. Zach overthrew two wide open receivers in the end zone that normally should have been TD’s and underthrew a couple, one of which also should have been a TD. But you were facing the best set of receivers in the league so there is that.

I still think that overall the game was reasonably ugly on both sides (the chpped ball didn’t help) and that both teams have a lot of work left to do, but clearly the Als deserved the win. It was week 1 and I don’t read a ton into it.

2 Likes

So just to clear that up for you, it was real, we won the cup! :rofl:
On a more serious note, no one wins eight straight games (nine now) without being for real in this league. That’s a really hard thing to do.

8 Likes

I think Calgary is very capable of sneaking up in the West. The whole key to their season will be the health of their receiving core. They appear to be very old school with their ground game. I thought Jake looked more like the guy we saw two years ago. Chad Dukes was very impressive as well. Really liked the way he delivered the ball on time. I think that the East will be a two horse race with some great games coming between the Als and Argos.

1 Like

Maybe “sustainable “ might have been a better choice of words.:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Je ne suis pas certain que ce sera une course à deux. Les autres équipes sont capables de progresser en cours de saison, particulièrement Hamilton qui joue avec un quart expérimenté. S’ils réussissent à consolider le jeu de leur défensive, ce sera une autre paire de manches.

Il ne faut pas faire de superlatifs avec cette partie, mais j’ai tout de même constaté que les Alouettes étaient prêts alors que Blue Bombers ne l’étaient pas. Ils ont gagné contre une formation bien dirigée et qui comporte d’excellents joueurs. Cette prestation me fait penser que les Alouettes, s’ils n’ont pas tout à fait repris là où ils ont laissé l’an dernier, débutent leur saison en bien meilleure posture qu’à pareille date l’an dernier.

No doubt the Alouettes are starting off on a better position than last year. And I agree they looked ready while the Bombers did not. Normally the Bombers are well managed/coached but certainly didn’t look that way last week and had several injuries to major contributors, but that will happen. The mistakes, many of them unforced and the lack of discipline was not Bomber like. As a Bomber fan I can tell myself that it was only Week 1 and that they are too good not to do better. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Too much talent there. Healthy, they are still the team to beat for the cup.

I think I’m OK with passing that title on to another team this year. Montreal interested? :wink:

2 Likes

Elks really, really blew the game and maybe the better part of the season with their give away. The next 3 games are against the top teams. So, a 0 - 4 start would, could, should get Jones fired??

1 Like

Bon Jour! I have to admit that I have very little faith in Bo Levi Mitchell giving Hamilton much. Both Hamilton and Ottawa have too many changes to overcome in my opinion. I am a big Drew Brown fan but it is going to take some time. It is true though that teams can look completely different before or after Labor day but I just do not see Hamilton and Ottawa being able to overtake the other two in the division.

1 Like

C’est le début de la saison, aussi c’est normal qu’il y ait encore beaucoup de points d’interrogation. Mais Mitchell m’a paru beaucoup plus à l’aise que dans sa courte présence l’an dernier. Milanovitch n’est pas le dernier venu et je pense qu’en ayant eu les rênes de l’équipe dès le début de la saison, ce sera plus facile pour lui de faire progresser l’équipe. C’est pourquoi je ne compte pas Hamilton hors de la course. À Ottawa, j’aime beaucoup ce que j’ai vu de Brown. J’aime beaucoup moins ce que j’ai vu de ses receveurs, qui ont échappé beaucoup de passes lancées au bon endroit, souvent dans les numéros. Les équipes de Dyce sont souvent indisciplinées, aussi j’entretiens moins d’espoir que cette équipe va faire partie de la course. Je crois cependant qu’avec Brown, ils pourront bâtir plus facilement qu’avec des recrues. Je n’enlève rien à Crum, mais Brown me semble faire de meilleures lectures avant et après la remise.

1 Like

Points well taken. Enjoy week 2!

1 Like